Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: ATTILA

Disgruntled

Savant
Trying to pick positives from Atilla, I can only see unit cards that have avoided those annoying stylized motifs . Everything else gives me Rome 2 flashbacks. I have to purge those never-bothered-beyond-turn-10 demons before I give this expansion a look in.
Think ill wait till Warhammer which should hopefully be a new engine and the lessons learned from the backlash.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Slightly OT:

The last TW game I played was Medieval 2, and I didn't like it much because of the braindead AI and repetitive campaign, even though I did play Rome a lot. Are any of the later games any better and if so, what's the best one?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Slightly OT:

The last TW game I played was Medieval 2, and I didn't like it much because of the braindead AI and repetitive campaign, even though I did play Rome a lot. Are any of the later games any better and if so, what's the best one?

No they're all pretty much terrible. People say Shogun 2 is alright but I don't believe them.

oscar

Arcane
Shogun 2 is good. Less variety however since it's Japs vs Japs instead of Romans vs Barbarians vs Hellenes vs Easterners vs Nomads. Still the AI is much better than earlier titles.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If variety is a concern with S2, play S2: Fall of the Samurai. Same passable AI(might want to check out a good mod or two), well designed game that won't crash and blow up(Empire, Rome 2), and enough variety to allay your concerns. Don't want to play just another "Samurai" faction in ancient Japan? Then play as an Imperialist and you basically have a better version of Empire: Total War(gunplay on a large scale), except with Ironclads.

praetor

Arcane
Shogun 2 is good. Less variety however since it's Japs vs Japs instead of Romans vs Barbarians vs Hellenes vs Easterners vs Nomads. Still the AI is much better than earlier titles.

this. plus, on the variety front there's the Korean War mod going strong last time i checked, so that could spice things up a bit

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Slightly OT:

Shogun 2 has some gimicks to spice up the campaign and the campaign AI is actually not bad (but it is LARPy).

Battle AI will always be retarded. Although, S2 has a drop in mod so another player can control your enemy in battles (never used it and have no idea how alive the community is, my guess is not very).

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
The weakest point of all Total War games is AI, both campaign and battle. Rome II have the worst AI of all (I don't know about empire and napoleon because I didn't play them more than few turns). But who needs a good and challenging AI in a strategy game? We need a "beautiful" game that runs like a slideshow on a PC with decent hardware. Now those are the things that sells a game.

Attila will surely have as bad AI as Rome II because of the amateurish AI programmers like this Creative Assembly AI "maestro":
images

Shogun 2 is the best and the most challenging Total war game in the series, especially the original campaign.

sser

Arcane
Developer
What befuddles me is that the first medieval game actually had decent AI. I recall the tactical AI understanding positioning, importance of height, flanking with cavalry, etc. Obviously it could be exploited here and there, but generally speaking it put up a fight. That all went away with the 3D transition and still has yet to return. One of the reasons I still prefer the 2D TW games - that and I just like the maps better.

And I don't know how you can have AI worse than Empire's. Like... it just doesn't seem possible, because it just didn't exist.

A horse of course

I distinctly remember that I'm supposed to hate Jack Lusted. Can't for the life of me remember why. Can't be because he's Welsh, which is something to be pitied, not despised.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I distinctly remember that I'm supposed to hate Jack Lusted. Can't for the life of me remember why. Can't be because he's Welsh, which is something to be pitied, not despised.
He's the CA equivalent of Pete Hines, so the lesser father of lies.

I haven't played a Total War game since the first Rome: TW, and the complete package is 75% off on Steam for 25 kwabux or so.

Worth it?

A horse of course

I haven't played a Total War game since the first Rome: TW, and the complete package is 75% off on Steam for 25 kwabux or so.

Worth it?

Yeah, Med II is a big improvement. The quality of later titles varies wildly but I'm sure you'll still get some fun out of them. For 25 freedoms it's pretty reasonable.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only thing I like about Attila is that it seems like a Barbarian Invasion style change of pace from ubiquitous race to paint the map, which requires a good AI to pull off something CA haven't been able to do this century. BA was great precisely because the setup made the difficulty, the Barbarians were 'easy' enough to play as, though the mechanic was fun and fresh, while the Roman player really was hard pressed due to the internal unrest, lack of money and gazillion unwashed at the gates. The AI still sucked, but the structure of the game made it a challenge. Since I don't have any faith for CA to ever make a good AI or even a decent scripted opponent, the least they could do is introduce a larpy setup that forces the player to deal with constant crises and unfair odds to create challenge.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
He's the CA equivalent of Pete Hines, so the lesser father of lies.
I think he was a pretty good modder. It's onlly really when he began to work for CA did he turn into a scumbag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS preview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/05/total-war-attila-preview-sega/

When I first sat down to play, I expected to react with a slight shrug. Even after playing Emperor Edition for a good while, I’m not entirely convinced that all of the technical issues that troubled my time with Rome II have been eradicated, but I’m impressed by Attila’s focus and commitment to a central thesis. If the question posed by Rome II was “What would Rome: Total War look and behave like with modern technology driving it?”, Attla seems to be built on a rather more interesting proposition – “How does a genre and series that thrives on expansion deal with a turn toward decay and decline?”

I like that question and I hope that Attila is able to formulate a robust response. But I don’t know if it will because 40 turns only reveals the first flakes of winter. I spoke to Creative Assembly at great length about what they hope to achieve with the game, what they took away from the experience fo Rome II and how the series has changed over time. I came away impressed and excited to see more, and we’ll have the full transcript of that conversation later this week.

Attila is promising and the new additions could run deep, changing the character of the strategic map and the way players interact with it. That’s the intention and this is a case where listing new features isn’t as important as understanding the thematic significance of the new features. There’s a focused goal at work here and an attempt to play with the Total War formula in a way that should make this far more than a pseudo-expansion.

I’m intrigued. But I’ve been here before and this time, let’s not bring a pinch of salt to the table – let’s bring enough to pay an entire legion with*. There’s not long until release on February 17th and it’ll probably take at least a week with the full game after launch before the extent of the new features and flaws can be seen. I want to see the darkness enveloping my empire, I want to take my horde from one end of the map to the other, burning and pillaging as I go. I want to push the simulation to its extremes and see which bits break. It’s ok for some bits to break, that’s what happens, but will they break in a way that makes me interested to see more? If so, I’ll probably end up losing weeks of my life to the game, as I did wit the first Rome and Medieval.

I also want to play as the Huns, to see which strategies suit them and if it’s possible to create the radical alternate histories that the series makes me hungry for. I want to eradicate empires and rebuild them in the cold, dark end of everything. But that will have to wait and so shall we, until the full picture is revealed.

Look out for more details and thoughts in an extensive interview later this week.

More on the future of Total War here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-05-the-broadening-horizons-of-total-war

A horse of course

Some old videos, not sure if they were posted yet:

A horse of course

Some CA-controlled fan LPs that also haven't been posted:

Campaign Map
GoLt6By.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LizardWizard

Cipher
That Atilla UI looks 1000% better than R2. Family tree/governors/councils is all shit that should have been in R2 and hopefully patched in eventually otherwise it looks extremely scummy but whatevers.

I like how Atilla looks to be the first TW that isn't completely steamrolly though; Horde can waltz in and raze your money-sunk province to nothing or you can just abandoned all y our shit and migrate to spain/africa if you get bored. Once you got to certain a size in past games there is pretty much no challenge or point to keep playing unless you really wanted to slog through painting the entire map one color I guess.

A horse of course

That Atilla UI looks 1000% better than R2. Family tree/governors/councils is all shit that should have been in R2 and hopefully patched in eventually otherwise it looks extremely scummy but whatevers.

I like how Atilla looks to be the first TW that isn't completely steamrolly though; Horde can waltz in and raze your money-sunk province to nothing or you can just abandoned all y our shit and migrate to spain/africa if you get bored. Once you got to certain a size in past games there is pretty much no challenge or point to keep playing unless you really wanted to slog through painting the entire map one color I guess.

Rome 2 did a pretty good job of slowing down expansion and map painting. What you did tend to see in virtually every campaign was the Selucids or another eastern faction turning into a superpower far too quickly, however. The problem is that the long-term balance of a campaign is, from CA's perspective, reliant on AI factions managing to form large power blocs quickly enough to be able to challenge the player, who is expected to be gaining territory as quickly as possible. This was always the case in the TW games, but they really pushed it home in R2 by leaving out any short campaign options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom