Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: ATTILA

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oh good another total war game I'm not buying

This is the most absurd and awful thing that I've seen in my entire life, I don't even know how to explain what I just watched

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
oh good another total war game I'm not buying

This is the most absurd and awful thing that I've seen in my entire life, I don't even know how to explain what I just watched

Still better than that movie about a woman with 3 eels in her vagina. If you didn't seen that, you seen nothing.
Actually this kinda reminded me about Barbarela.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
From its amazing start I've always been a keen follower of this series. It began great, then had its ups and downs and when I expected it to be gone it came back with a decent installment. Rome 2 however made me give up. There is simply too much wrong with that game. With a series that's been largely going down already and a dev who made those decisions I just don't see a new TW game come out alright. RIP as far as I'm concerned.

Erzherzog

Magister
At first I got a boner for this game but then...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/25/total-war-attila-announced

Attila and his forces are not a faction in the traditional sense and can’t be played. They’re more like a force of nature that sweeps across the map, destroying and spoiling everything they touch.

bwahahahahahahahaha

Seriously? In a game where I'm trying to blob across the map anyways why not just let me do so? You can actually make that shit challenging, I'm sure it was not just some walk in the park for Attila in the first place...

I guess I leave my TW experience with Empire and Shogun II. Only played Empire due to interest in the time period. Only way I'll play a new TW is if it takes place sometime in the 19th century but all signs point to that not being something feasible in the first place.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Seriously? In a game where I'm trying to blob across the map anyways why not just let me do so? You can actually make that shit challenging, I'm sure it was not just some walk in the park for Attila in the first place...

Actually, do you know what Attila needed to do it?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
CA is a story of decline from pure greatness (Shogun) through mediocrity (MTW, Rome) and later TW has become utter shit from what I can tell.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'd imagine it would be fairly difficult to actually balance Atilla in the game. I haven't looked at the period for awhile, but the only reasons I can remember as to why Atilla was thwarted from actually conquering the Western Roman Empire was the fact that they were much more valuable as an intact golden goose (at first), a combined Goth/Vandal/Roman alliance which beat them a grand total of once, and by the end of it, simple logistical limitations (they were nomads, and as such did not have any real supply lines to keep their armies fed, instead choosing to forage off of the land, which eventually grew unsustainable), disease, and essentially being bribed by the Roman Christian Church to just go away.

Guess it could work if you implement all of this into the gameplay: make food gathering a much more limited and difficult-to-maintain tech tree than the other factions, maybe do what Alexander did and have Atilla being routed/killed an automatic game over, maybe tie army morale with just how much plundering and looting they're doing, so if they spend X amount of turns not killing shit they'll start growing restless and either rebel or desert, etc.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Yes it would be hard to make a realistic game about the Mongols or the Huns. It would mostly be The Sims in a tent with a leadership mini game and "who got the big balls", horse riding, occasional raids and sadism.
And it is good that computers cannot sumulate smelling, because it was said that the stink of a Hun was repugnant enough to kill a person.

Fockatar

Cipher
I'd imagine it would be fairly difficult to actually balance Atilla in the game. I haven't looked at the period for awhile, but the only reasons I can remember as to why Atilla was thwarted from actually conquering the Western Roman Empire was the fact that they were much more valuable as an intact golden goose (at first), a combined Goth/Vandal/Roman alliance which beat them a grand total of once, and by the end of it, simple logistical limitations (they were nomads, and as such did not have any real supply lines to keep their armies fed, instead choosing to forage off of the land, which eventually grew unsustainable), disease, and essentially being bribed by the Roman Christian Church to just go away.

Guess it could work if you implement all of this into the gameplay: make food gathering a much more limited and difficult-to-maintain tech tree than the other factions, maybe do what Alexander did and have Atilla being routed/killed an automatic game over, maybe tie army morale with just how much plundering and looting they're doing, so if they spend X amount of turns not killing shit they'll start growing restless and either rebel or desert, etc.

Well you're in luck if you want to get back into the period (though who would, frankly?) since there is about to be released a new compendium of interesting essays around October or November - The Cambridge Companion to Atilla. Don't think it is personally needed but, meh, ok. You bring up some interesting points re: sustainability but I'd say I don't think we generally conceive of these guys purely as nomads anymore. It's obvious they had very malleable political structures and like many former foederatii were starting to ape Roman organisation and technology. I don't think they were as handicapped as we might at first thing and we probably really ought to lionise Aetius a bit more over his manoeuvring and victories.

Now, for me, there are a few reasons why I'm uninterested. I can only think of three reasons to buy this actually 1) We're starved for strategy games, 2) We like the atmosphere/setting and 3) We just love the way Total War games work.

None of these points seem to be valid for me. There are quite a lot of good strategy games out there so we're not starved. As for atmosphere....well I think CA sucks massively at this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an insufferable prick over historical accuracy or anything so pithy: frankly as a Classicist I'm sick of the idiots online trying to "correct" things who clearly know shit themselves. I don't think a game has to be an history lesson (though I don't see why developers won't consult a reputable academic or two). What I care about is atmosphere and so far games dealing with antiquity come off as stale and plasticky. Regarding the third point I think we've seen how poor CA's track record is lately... I'm happy with my earlier games + mods, maybe if this game is amazing I might purchase it but nothing about the studio's track record makes me salivate.

On the other hand in the pro corner: crazy wolves. So there is that. Which is nice.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Exactly. A game with those mechanics can be had, but CA is not the one to do it. Hell, Civ5's Fall of Rome scenario will probably end up doing it better than them...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

I always find it funny when people are screaming murder about this.

In reality: Wolves can climb ladders.

I must admit they are not doing that horisontally, but it's his fault he didn't shoot at ladder, didn't hit wolves when they approached, and didn't switch to knife fast enough and didn't try to kick the wolf back before it went through the hole.
It's deffinitelly possible for archer to concentrate on firing to rest of the wolves, and one climbing up jump on him and throw him off balance and fall down. Thought normally they would look where these wolves are moving and when they see them climbing on ladders it's fuck up moment.

MapMan

Arcane
I posted it in Rome 2 thread, I'll post it again:

YdonzHI.png

Deleted member 7219

This'll be the first Total War I'll skip at launch since Empire.

Wake me up when they do an original setting - something like Renaissance: Total War set in the 16th / 17th centuries, or an Empire 2: Total War set in the late 19th, expanding upon some of the ideas they introduced in Fall of the Samurai.

I'm a little bored of them doing the same settings over and over.

Luka-boy

Arcane
something like Renaissance: Total War set in the 16th / 17th centuries
What I'd give for a good TW game set in the 1500-1650 period, during the rise and apex of Pike and Shot warfare. Possibly focusing only on Europe like Napoleon and abstracting colonization and trade with sea routes at the edges of the map like the latest games. Not like I wouldn't like to see the Americas properly implemented, but I don't trust modern CA to pull off a decent game unless they're very focused on one region and a setting where most nations fought more or less the same way.

There's that 30 Years War mod for Medieval 2, but it just can't quite scratch that itch.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
They already tried mass gunpowder in Empire. HUGE SUCCESS!
1 hour-long artillery battles with infinite ammo and entire army hidden in the forests.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Wake me up when they do an original setting - something like Renaissance: Total War set in the 16th / 17th centuries, or an Empire 2: Total War set in the late 19th, expanding upon some of the ideas they introduced in Fall of the Samurai.

I haven't played a total war game since empire, and this one won't be an exception. I learnt my lesson.

Deleted member 7219

I haven't played a total war game since empire, and this one won't be an exception. I learnt my lesson.

I enjoyed Empire. But you should try Shogun 2 when the series is next on sale. The Fall of the Samurai expansion is excellent.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
No thanks, I don't like Japanese history. Give me an ancient greece or china game and I'll take another look at the series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom