Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Arena

I don't hate Dota or any of it's clones. In fact i had fun with it while playing Warcraft 3 custom maps. What i do hate is when someone "switches" from War3/Starcraft to focus exclusively on playing MOBA.

Another thing that pisses me off is how DotA killed a lot of other WC3 custom games. There were some real gems and genuinely fun maps that after a while stopped gathering players because everyone was playing 10 DotA games in a row.

Tigranes

Arcane
This means that the original game’s template has to be heavily adapted: “With three units there are far fewer degrees of freedom. Things which are passive and automated in TW has to be active n Arena”. This means lots of manual actions, such as manual cavalry charges, manual aiming, and so forth. Needs to be same actions per minute as the original games, says Russell. They are still early in development, and intend to continue developing after launch, so a lot of the concrete details of how this will work are far from settled.

Another aspect of this comes via a new take on damage control – in TW units have 1 hit point, they are alive or dead – but in Arena things will change, specific units will take damage, so that their DPS doesn’t immediately drop when men are lost. Per-man damage adds a lot of information, and makes 3-unit gameplay more complex and therefore, claims Russell, more rewarding.

So.... not Total War combat, then. Cool.

I don't hate Dota or any of it's clones. In fact i had fun with it while playing Warcraft 3 custom maps. What i do hate is when someone "switches" from War3/Starcraft to focus exclusively on playing MOBA.

Another thing that pisses me off is how DotA killed a lot of other WC3 custom games. There were some real gems and genuinely fun maps that after a while stopped gathering players because everyone was playing 10 DotA games in a row.

Ever play Natural Selection?

You basically created a customized species and released it onto an island to see it spread and grow.

I remember the island was filled with herbivores so I made a hyper aggressive fast breeding race of carnivores that I released upon all the other players species.

They were so successful they wiped out all the other species and then starved to death.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Here's the thing these guys need to realise pretty fast; a fan of MOBA's isn't likely to play more than one at a time, and if he tries out another one, he's not likely to move over to the new one.

We've already got LoL, DOTA and HoN, which dominates the market. Anyone else is just setting themselves up for fail.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
How are things on this ? Seems it is in closed beta?

anyone playing ?

DramaticPopcorn

My friend plays it, he's a big Total War buff and somehow still enjoys this shite, I watched a couple of matches and couldn't handle the shallowness.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I would guess a 10v10 with random people would be a big clusterfuck in this, but hey maybe this is what they are aiming at, thousands of units just mashing each other.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
My friend plays it, he's a big Total War buff and somehow still enjoys this shite, I watched a couple of matches and couldn't handle the shallowness.
I played it a while ago and it's pretty grindy and shit but somewhat entertaining with friends. Basic shit like charging is a special ability tied to certain generals and I remember you couldn't block chokepoints with soldiers properly because people figured out you could make your units pass through the enemy for flanking bonuses. Charges are also ridiculous with infantry units trampling everyone. It's more like World of Tanks than MOBAs except for the magic abilities you get.

mwnn85

Savant
I don't suppose anyone actually played this through the Wargaming Client?

I thought I'd be clever, download the client from here (5GB)

Make a new account and redeem the free DLC (for Warhammer - but there are others!)

Only the shit hit the fan - they know I've never played Arena so I can't update the game in order to see the news post with the link to the free gift!

The end date is the 22nd of February.

SEGA :rage:

If that link could be captured couldn't we all claim something through Total War Access?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom