Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Arena

Kem0sabe

Arcane
:hmmm:

That's is seriously how i felt when i read the eurogamer article, as if the moba bandwagon needed another wheel.

Borelli

Arcane
Not exactly TOTAL WAR when you control only 1 unit. But wait!
In it you "pitch history's greatest commanders and their armies against each other in massive team-based battles", announced the announcement.
If you control those armies then it sounds like standard Total War multiplayer, if you do not... then there is no emoticon to express this.
Although it says team-based... Hannibal tag-teaming with Genghis Khan to defeat Napoleon-Rome alliance?:dance:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Blizzard MOBA
LOTR MOBA
Magicka MOBA
DC comics MOBA
Total War MOBA

The sooner the industry runs this shit to the ground, the better. Then they can start looking for the next fad and repeat the cycle, but maybe it'll be better than those shitty MOBAs.

Mraston

Learned
Am I the only one that has never played a single MOBA and barely even knows what it is?

While I can admit to playing a single session of League of Legends, I cannot comprehend the genres popularity outside of a niche core audience of hypercompetitive lunatics.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What is the meaning of MOBA anyway? (I could google it, but I'm too lazy)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Monsters of Black Armageddon?
Museum of Bad Art?
Mind Over Brain Allocation?

Im dissapoint Creative Assembly but also happy that they are not using Warhammer IP for such thing...

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
And yet every each one of them will be shit. mobas are just shit games to begin with.
No wonder they're so popular.

dehimos

Augur
Time for a visit

american-psycho-chainsaw-o.gif

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is the meaning of MOBA anyway? (I could google it, but I'm too lazy)
Mulitplayer -something- battle arena, or something like that. They should be called Dotalikes because that's what they are.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well the WOW bandwagon is pretty much dead, with the spectacular success of the TORtanic. So everyone is jumping on the MOBA bandwagon because after all League of Legends is now bigger than WOW ever was and not nearly as expensive.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that.

But Dota really exploded for some reason, every casual out there was playing it and raging over it. The manboons were too dumb to play footmen wars I guess.

WC3 DoTA built an internet cafe/LAN center in every street in my country. It was as popular in most of the Balkans and eastern europe I hear.

LoL just took it, made it free, more popamole and gave it to a horde of kids with access to their parents' credit cards. DotA was a piece of shit too until Icefrog fixed and balanced the whole thing and the better it got the more it was played. I was just surprised it took people so long to start making money with the genre.

Borelli

Arcane
I don't hate Dota or any of it's clones. In fact i had fun with it while playing Warcraft 3 custom maps. What i do hate is when someone "switches" from War3/Starcraft to focus exclusively on playing MOBA. That's like saying "i don't want base and army management i will just go and play a game where you only control 1 unit", now MOBAs are strictly team vs team so they have somewhat different skillsets but still to me that feels like a personal decline.

Off topic: in the 90s i played a demo of a game where you are a police robot and you go around and shoot bad guys, the multiplayer map vs AI had MOBA-ish gameplay where you need to manually build units (this was a 3rd person game) and they would automatically march to enemy base. The enemy robot was a plane with an evil voice who would taunt you. Anybody knows the name of this game?

Off topic: in the 90s i played a demo of a game where you are a police robot and you go around and shoot bad guys, the multiplayer map vs AI had MOBA-ish gameplay where you need to manually build units (this was a 3rd person game) and they would automatically march to enemy base. The enemy robot was a plane with an evil voice who would taunt you. Anybody knows the name of this game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akup9CMW5ec

Borelli

Arcane
Thanks bro.:brodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom