Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tortured Hearts - successor to NWN module series

Lumpy

Arcane
Lumpy

Because the people I know and trust and have the same taste are 40+ with a tremendous game industry experience.
This is wrong on so many levels. :lol:

Tell me a few please.
Uhm, the fact that you're a relative nobody, but you want enough money to employ elite game designers? You seriously can't see the absurdity in that?

It's like some rookie director wannabe asking for Kickstarter funds to hire Jack Nicholson for his project, because he simply can't work with amateurs.

Lumpy

Arcane
You like the idea, you pledge 10 dollars (the price of a pizza), you don't like it, you go elsewhere.
See, I've always hated this argument. Just because something costs only $10 doesn't mean it's a good deal - would you buy a loaf of bread for $10, since it's just 'the price of a pizza'? I wouldn't, and I'd have second thoughts about spending $10 on a non-existent game, for the price of a pizza.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Knotanalt

How much do you pay for a pizza?

Where I live, a good pizza is about 5-6 dollars. See? It's not the pizza, it's the country.

No need to reinvent the Aurora toolset.

Until now, 300 k has been too much. Now it's not enough in your opinion. Please make up your mind. :)

"You can't even guess"
Why do you harp on this? I've been making games since 1990. This involves a lot of interaction with
other game makers...

That said, what is your profession?

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Lumpy

"but you want enough money to employ elite game designers?"

1. Not designers, but programmers and artists
2. I know and trust these people. We worked together on commercial games.

I don't want to work with people I don't know, you can understand that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't want to work with people I don't know, you can understand that.
I don't like this...I know that is important to thrust people you are going to work with, but not only just hiring bros is harmfull to the industry, as one day you were also a unknown dude that someone decided to give a chance, but it's a luxury that you are not quite in the position to afford. A group of young developers could not only give you something to show for kickstart, but also lower the ammount needed for the game, greatly increasing the chances of it actually happening.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
felipepepe

Believe me, if people know the trade, it saves a lot of time and hassle.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Believe me, if people know the trade, it saves a lot of time and hassle.
No doubt, but (I'm going to bring in a much hated word) sometimes you do have to compromise. You are a kind of unkown guy asking for a massive ammount of money, that if succeds will give you a fantastic fame and autonomy, but you can't expect that your first endeavour to be as perfect as you always dreamed.

I'm not saying to hire 16-old McDonald's workers, but pehaps 30+ instead of 40+, or extend the dellivery time. ATM your issue is to get this game funded and start development, and that will be quite a challenge at the present settings.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
From a single person's point of view, 300 k seems a lot, to make an epic RPG, it's not.

This is from wikipedia:
An average development budget for a multiplatform game is US$18-28M, with high-profile games often exceeding more than $40M.[r 2]

And these are not RPGs which need more content than, say, a shooter.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
95 Backers and $1,822 of $300,000 asked for equals .006% of desired funding :retarded:.

Reading through this thread and SubBassman's unrealistic goals & expectations, as well as the terribly conceived and implemented Kickstarter campaign, alone would make me avoid this project. They have a MOD and think it would be cool to make a game out of it!! He talks about wanting 40+ year old professionals working on this thing but the implementation looks like it was created by a bunch of 15 year old D&D players with the "bestest idea for a game evar!!"... this screams unprofessional, unorganized, and certainly not thought out.

Come back in a few month when you've actually sat down and thought and planned this thing through.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
mindx2

Thank you. You are very helpful.

Aren't you the guy in the other topic with the fake account?

For your information, we have created the content that's usually missing from plenty of RPG's.

It's called STORY...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You are missing the point, I'm not saying that you are asking too much money for the game, but that you are asking too much from the audience.

Fargo may have raised 1.8M, but is fucking Brian Fargo doing Wasteland 2. And he only asked for 900k because he was afraid he might not reach it, just like the Tactical Shooter guy is going to fail tomorrow. I like the concept of your game and already pledged, but you are going to need a stepping stone of some sort to be able to pull it, it's a insane ammount of money to ask for in your current situation.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
felipepepe

I'm happy that at least WL2 is being made. It's my all time fav, hands down.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mindx2

For your information, we have created the content that's usually missing from plenty of RPG's.

It's called STORY...

I think you missed my point. You guys did not plan ahead for the Kickstarter campaign. Regardless of the amount of "story" you have created your presentation is terrible. My characterization of you may be harsh but my underlining concerns of ever handing over money to you in valid.

... and what's with the "Aren't you the guy in the other topic with the fake account?", is this some kind of put down? o_O

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
mindx2

You know, anyone can make the whistles and bells because it's easier, we made the core stuff which isn't spectacular on its own
and thus can hardly be presented in a better way. Mostly the story is why BG or Torment are popular. See my point?

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
mindx2

Also, usually an entire department is working on the story aspect of a game. (writers, scripters etc)
Since this is done, we can focus on the whistles and bells.

mindx2

Patron
mindx2

You know, anyone can make the whistles and bells because it's easier, we made the core stuff which isn't spectacular on its own
and thus can hardly be presented in a better way. Mostly the story is why BG or Torment are popular. See my point?

That's where I think you are wrong and why I'm so skeptical of your project. As a "creative" team you should be able to brainstorm and, you know, create a much better presentation that would have generated a buzz about your project. How do you expect anyone to contribute to your project when you can't even package your initial presentation in any exciting ways other than "We wrote a lot of cool things, so trust us. Oh, and by the way we need a butt load of money to make it look cool too."

Lumpy

Arcane
mindx2

It's called STORY...
No, no... RPGs have story, more and more of it for each new blockbuster. Problem is, it's shit. Another problem is, game developers can't seem to accept that they can't write for crap, and that they should focus on making bloody games.

So why do we have even the faintest reason to believe that you can deliver on those two fronts? How can we trust you're a great writer, without going through dozens of NWN Editor screenshots? More importantly, how can we trust you're a good gameplay designer, since you don't really seem to have started work on the gameplay just yet.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
mindx2

I could maybe smile on the screen and say the same. (with my accent) I don't think it would do any good.
That's why we didn't make any video. We are not camera-worthy.
The video that shows how the game would look like was already a lot of work and needed plenty of
research and experiments. (at the expense of somebody's free time)

mindx2

Patron
mindx2

It's called STORY...
No, no... RPGs have story, more and more of it for each new blockbuster. Problem is, it's shit. Another problem is, game developers can't seem to accept that they can't write for crap, and that they should focus on making bloody games.

So why do we have even the faintest reason to believe that you can deliver on those two fronts? How can we trust you're a great writer, without going through dozens of NWN Editor screenshots? More importantly, how can we trust you're a good gameplay designer, since you don't really seem to have started work on the gameplay just yet.

Exactly! Where is the actual game? What kind of gameplay are you planning? Have you even thought this far? You have a book right now but I'd like to, you know, actually play a computer game... That I even have to ask these questions should tell you your presentation is sorely lacking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom