Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tortured Hearts - successor to NWN module series

Lumpy

Arcane
Well, I like the art style but I agree with other comments that you would have been better off waiting until you had some gameplay to show. Wish you luck but I doubt you'll hit $300k. Just too many people jumping on the Kickstarter bandwagon now.

This is a very special situation. We have a half-done game (4 years of work) that needs to be converted to have a gameplay to show you.
It's awful nice that you do - question is, why should I believe you? And even if I did, I have no idea who you are - how can I be sure that those thousands of pages of text aren't utter tripe?

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Well, I like the art style but I agree with other comments that you would have been better off waiting until you had some gameplay to show. Wish you luck but I doubt you'll hit $300k. Just too many people jumping on the Kickstarter bandwagon now.

This is a very special situation. We have a half-done game (4 years of work) that needs to be converted to have a gameplay to show you.
It's awful nice that you do - question is, why should I believe you? And even if I did, I have no idea who you are - how can I be sure that those thousands of pages of text aren't utter tripe?

We'll keep you updated.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
All they need to do now is replicate aurora engine and make all the 3D artworks. Which they are going to do for 300k, even though they can't program.

Designer designs areas, items, skills, npc's, writes convos and scripts (this part is done)
Musician composes music, if you're lucky he makes the sound FXs too
Modeler makes models and textures (a little team)
Animator animates models (probably not alone)
Programmer does the programming (Engine,GUI, AI, Game Logic) << not a one man job either

I'm the first one...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Hello developer

A good analogy for the situation is a scriptwriter and director who tells you he has the complete script for an excellent quirky fantasy tv series and now all he needs is money to pay the actors, the cameramen, the boom operators, the makeup artists, the set and costume designers and the sound, music and post-production editors

Now ask yourself, how many people would fund this tv series by taking the scriptwriter's word on the script and without seeing a pilot episode first?

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Hello cipher

Your analogy is not correct, because it's like comparing apple to pear.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
RPGs reached their peak in the 90s, and it wasn't all that much of a peak. Fallout had flaws. Planescape had flaws. I don't believe I have enough authority to speak on tile/blob dungeon crawlers, but if they weren't similarly flawed they were still just plain dying out. Everyone calls these classics now, but back then? You liked them, but you could seriously imagine them getting better. It's like seeing the potential in something you love while it's still growing up.

And what about strategy? Would HoMM fans believe back then that they would never get a game better than the third, or Master of Magic fans that they would never ever get a sequel? How about space sim fans? Tell them after they're done with Wing Commander IV or Freespace that their genre was going to be all but dead in the next decade, not because they couldn't be good games but they just couldn't move enough units for investors.

Now with the new and wider market of gamers companies basically have to repackage every single genre with overproduced graphics and make it something that a moron can understand while shilling it as the new improved version of a time tested classic that finally broke free of the technical limitations and poorly thought out design methodlogies it had in the past. So the medium is actually even worse off than we started with, because nobody seems to be able to look past the sensory overload and psychological manipulation of bells and whistles and millions of dollars put into marketing to know that they're getting a smoke and mirrors show from a magician who hates magic.

I'll be lime if I said I wasn't berry concerned at first, but now I'm plum out of giving a fig about the whole thing. Olive in hope of course.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
sgc_meltdown

What do you think the main flaws of Fallout and Planescape are? They were definitely different compared to the shiny new games.

Also, how do you think this trend could be changed?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
sorry I really can't be bothered typing out something that fans have discussed ad nauseum on this and other forums, it's like asking a codexer to describe in detail why they didn't like The Elder Scrolls Oblivion or a star wars fan why exactly they didn't like the prequel trilogy

fallout - unbalanced skill, perk and stat system, npc AI, unbalanced combat and overabundance of healing/ammo, lore and setting inconsistencies between the first and second, some questionable areas
planescape - non turn-based combat, interface, unbalanced classes, rather linear

you can't change the trend on the mainstream level, it's like crime and the moment EA tanks some other company is going to step in and buy more developers to run into the ground in an oversaturated AAA market where publishers and not gamers decide what gets made

the only thing that can change here is for developers to realise that a niche audience for these genres still exist and can, will be sufficient to fund games of this quality again so long as they don't get cold feet and start diluting old features or completely remove what was slightly flawed, like with the upcoming x-com, to aim for both audiences and get neither

also, stop posting until you have something concrete on your kickstarter

Alex

Arcane
Truth be told, I don't think turn based combat in PS:T would really improve the game. I mean, the meat of PS:T, the things that make it worthwhile, are almost perpendicular to combat. The two things rarely touch. Trying to make the combat more fun in Torment is akin to trying to make a really cool minigame that plays while the game is loading. Of course, you could try to solve this by making combat more important to Planescape, but then you start sliding away from the original values. Anyway, sorry for the derail.

Marobug

You missed the exclusive dungeon for tier 8 people.

With big publishers you need to pay $15 for content that should be in the game, with kickstarter you need to pay $5000. :M

:what:

And when I thought the kickstarter bandwagon couldn't get any more retarded... Also 300 000 for this ? No screenshots or anything, the dev doesn't have a team and can't even program or do shit on his own other than write dialogs in the nwn editor ? I really hope this whole kickstarter massive retardation dies out and quickly.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
yeah it's that whole finite scope and narrative-combat focus split thing again

still bro, many people find combat tedious in planescape and it could do with a bit of help

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Marobug

Please get informed before posting...

The dev has a team.
Regarding money, do the math. (chill out first)
Writing dialog is one thing, scripting is another. Together they make a STORY.
There are other things as well. (script related) You know an RPG is not just hacking and slashing around.
Be a bit more polite please.

Marobug

Oh I assumed from the posts here and from my short glance at the kickstarter page there was only one dev involved.
Still my point on everything else remains.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Oh I assumed from the posts here and from my short glance at the kickstarter page there was only one dev involved.
Still my point on everything else remains.

It's all right, really. Everybody is entitled to his opinion.
Just please, let's talk like gentlemen.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's all right, really. Everybody is entitled to his opinion.
Just please, let's talk like gentlemen.

He is talking like a gentleman. You don't want to know what Codexers behave like when they're not talking like gentlemen.

Also, I still say you should have waited longer until jumping on the kickstarter bandwagon, and not so closely to the kickstarters of Wasteland 2 and Banner Saga.
Waited until you had more to show - which you now are gradually getting (why couldn't you have waited till now? It's better to start when you already have something to show) and until people had money again to spend, which they all threw at Wasteland 2 and Banner Saga.

This wasn't a good point of time to go kickstarter. A month later would have been better.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

:what:

Wow, that was overkill, showing all the 200 areas....but I gotta say I enjoyed the looks of some very much, especially the non-linear dungeons and huge cities that already look coll on NWN models. I would really like to see them spring to life on a cartoony world like the tech-demo. I really want this project to succeed.

And just how big is this? You said BG2-level, but just the ammout of big cities I saw was crazy, this is a massive world, on par with Skyrim, can you really do that with just 300k?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom