Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tortured Hearts - successor to NWN module series

Lumpy

Arcane
You know, anyone can make the whistles and bells because it's easier, we made the core stuff which isn't spectacular on its own
and thus can hardly be presented in a better way.
First of all, are you seriously calling gameplay, 'whistles and bells'? Really, I don't doubt that you're the next Hemingway, but if that's the case, write a goddamn book. If you want to be a game designer, discarding game design as being 'whistles and bells' is pretty silly.

Second, what you're saying is that you've got a great product, but you can't think of a way to present it, so you decided not to present it at all and just hope it will magically sell. I'm not exactly an entrepreneur but I can see where the flaw in that business plan might be.

Mostly the story is why BG [is] popular.
Oh God. Maybe if you're lobotomized.

zeitgeist

Magister
Could you please describe the intended gameplay of Tortured Hearts roughly divided into percentages? I mean, when the player is actually playing the game, what percentage of time will they spend on doing what exactly? Just an estimate.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
mindx2

Thank you. You are very helpful.

Aren't you the guy in the other topic with the fake account?

For your information, we have created the content that's usually missing from plenty of RPG's.

It's called STORY...
No, no... RPGs have story, more and more of it for each new blockbuster. Problem is, it's shit. Another problem is, game developers can't seem to accept that they can't write for crap, and that they should focus on making bloody games.

So why do we have even the faintest reason to believe that you can deliver on those two fronts? How can we trust you're a great writer, without going through dozens of NWN Editor screenshots? More importantly, how can we trust you're a good gameplay designer, since you don't really seem to have started work on the gameplay just yet.

I can hardly answer this. I'm a story oriented guy.

There was a sceptical guy on the gog forum (the last commenter, Paul). After uploading the examples, he raised his pledge.
This doesn't inherently mean you would like the writing, because tastes are different, but at least it meant a lot to us.

Lumpy

Arcane
But I do.
Basically, it's the combat and the GUI that's missing.
Even the stats are trainable and are being tested in conversations.
:hmmm:
The combat... and the GUI? What does that even mean? How can the GUI be missing when you don't even have an engine yet?
And the combat is quite central to the whole thing, isn't it? Do you even have any design docs for it, beyond "turn based and really old-school"?

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Lumpy

"First of all, are you seriously calling gameplay, 'whistles and bells'?"

No. You misunderstood me.
It's the graphics. Gameplay is very important, but I can only produce it in Unity.

"Second, what you're saying is that you've got a great product, but you can't think of a way to present it, so you decided not to present it at all and just hope it will magically sell."

I understand your concerns, but I'm a game maker, not a businessman.

All right, what is it then that tickles your fancy in BG? Imoen?
You are still calling me names. Doesn't really help.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't we be nice to this guy? We can't keep scaring devs off lest none come in the future.
Really?! You do know where you are. We're the CODEX not GameInformer or some other less prestigious magazine site M:. We actually want to know what this game will be, not just hear a bunch of promises.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Lumpy

"The combat... and the GUI? What does that even mean"

Combat: when characters fight each other in a fun way :)

GUI: Graphical User Interface by which you issue your commands.
Do you want more info on this?

"How can the GUI be missing when you don't even have an engine yet?"

This is why it's missing...
It's not important while you write the story.

"And the combat is quite central to the whole thing, isn't it"

No. It will have a decent combat, but not central at all.
We are not adding some quests to a combat game.
We are adding a combat to a story-based game.

"Do you even have any design docs for it, beyond "turn based and really old-school"?"
Not "really old-school", but old-school enough. And yes, I have my own documents.

Lumpy

Arcane
No. You misunderstood me.
It's the graphics. Gameplay is very important, but I can only produce it in Unity.
Uh, no. Combat, for instance, could be reproduced in a fucking Excel spreadsheet. Overall gameplay should have been written down in a couple of design documents a long time ago.

"Second, what you're saying is that you've got a great product, but you can't think of a way to present it, so you decided not to present it at all and just hope it will magically sell."

I understand your concerns, but I'm a game maker, not a businessman.
:?
It's not really my concern, is it? I don't really give a shit about your project, but you obviously do, so if you want people to give you money you'd better figure out a way to actually sell it. Just saying.

All right, what is it then that tickles your fancy in BG? Imoen?
Thought it was crap, myself, but what do I know? Any reasonable person who liked it, enjoyed it as a casual tactical RPG. If you genuinely liked BG for the story, well, I can't say I'm too eager to read some of your writing samples.

You are still calling me names. Doesn't really help.
Who's calling you names? And it doesn't help... what?

Lumpy

Arcane
GUI: Graphical User Interface by which you issue your commands.
Do you want more info on this?

"How can the GUI be missing when you don't even have an engine yet?"

This is why it's missing...
It's not important while you write the story.
Uh yes, this still doesn't make sense. Saying the GUI is missing makes as much sense as saying that the loading screen is missing.

No. It will have a decent combat, but not central at all.
We are not adding some quests to a combat game.
We are adding a combat to a story-based game.
So in other words, it's more of a visual novel, with some combat tacked on?
Or what? I have no idea what your game is supposed to be about.

"Do you even have any design docs for it, beyond "turn based and really old-school"?"
Not "really old-school", but old-school enough. And yes, I have my own documents.
:eek: So why aren't they published yet?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Can't we be nice to this guy? We can't keep scaring devs off lest none come in the future.
There's a dev in this thread? lolwat?

I thought it was just some guy who has a "make me a game" wishlist who went so crazy he started a kickstarter to have you pay him for someone else to make him a game.
Nevermind, the comment just below yours has removed what goodwill I had.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Could you please describe the intended gameplay of Tortured Hearts roughly divided into percentages? I mean, when the player is actually playing the game, what percentage of time will they spend on doing what exactly? Just an estimate.

This is a fine question. And also, thank you for the polite tone.

You'll have a great many of places to visit (see video), some are optional.
I'd say Exploration is about 15 percent.

You'll meet monsters, of course, and some quest NPCs who will want to kill you. (Or you want to kill them)
Combat is about 25 percent

The story is mostly driven by conversations. (NPC interactions, Henchmen) This means doing quests.
This part of the game is about 60 percent.

If you are a crafter then subtract an average of 5 percent. It isn't necessary at all. (some ppl hate crafting)

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Lumpy

"So in other words, it's more of a visual novel, with some combat tacked on?"
You apparently oversimplify this.

"Who's calling you names?"

By your words, I'm a lobotomized numbnuts...

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Guys, when I woke up this morning I had to think about this. I have broken down, and will pledge too.

There are simply not enough good games, and the feeling that an epic story rpg one may not be produced because of a couple of thousand dollar is something which I cannot simply bear.

Currently I cannot decide between which is better option. Do you think 25$ is enogh? I don't have more money right now. And another thing I am not 18 years so I will have to ask my mom.
Any idea when this is going to be released? I hoipe no later than Christmas 2012! I live in Deutschland so shipping from Hungary should not be expensive. Most other games I know are fomr America so it was much more of a problem,

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Guys, when I woke up this morning I had to think about this. I have broken down, and will pledge too.

There are simply not enough good games, and the feeling that an epic story rpg one may not be produced because of a couple of thousand dollar is something which I cannot simply bear.

Currently I cannot decide between which is better option. Do you think 25$ is enogh? I don't have more money right now. And another thing I am not 18 years so I will have to ask my mom.
Any idea when this is going to be released? I hoipe no later than Christmas 2012! I live in Deutschland so shipping from Hungary should not be expensive. Most other games I know are fomr America so it was much more of a problem,

Well, well... I truly hope you are not joking, mate. It wouldn't be nice of you.

However, if you are not joking, 10 is enough. Many tens can fund the game. Just use your forum name there :) (and leave an encouraging comment)

PS
It's impossible to make it this year. As the KS page states, it's september, 2013. (Around Wasteland 2)

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Guys

What would be more interesting to see first? GUI mock-up or a character?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Guys

Is the character a hot babe?
What does the GUI mock-up feature?
It's an impossible choice without this information.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Guys

Is the character a hot babe?
What does the GUI mock-up feature?
It's an impossible choice without this information.

Well, I thought of a male hero with a sword. The one that saves the Universe. Again. A hot babe is more difficult in this phase.

The GUI would feature:
Character icons on the screen
Minimap
Text field
Target Selector
+
Combat Options
AP display (Action Points)

These two are only visible in combat

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
GUI sounds hotter to me then.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
GUI tells so much more about the game than just a male character with a sword. In fact, I'd say the latter tells nothing.

Then again, it probably depends on the kind of audience you're aiming for.

Destroid

Arcane
Ever so slowly I'm starting to get a 1000AD vibe from this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom