Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tortured Hearts - successor to NWN module series

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is very strange. The same guy made a "hardcore" NWN mod called Tortured Hearts which is kind of like AoD: stats are everything, everything is a skill or ability check and you're free to do what you want in whatever order. It suffered a lot from the writing being too ... I don't know. He wasn't a native speaker. It wasn't wrong, it just felt off - just like the AoD demo.

Anyway, the module was anything but light-hearted.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
This is very strange. The same guy made a "hardcore" NWN mod called Tortured Hearts which is kind of like AoD: stats are everything, everything is a skill or ability check and you're free to do what you want in whatever order. It suffered a lot from the writing being too ... I don't know. He wasn't a native speaker. It wasn't wrong, it just felt off - just like the AoD demo.

Since I've been working with DrHoo, it's not an issue anymore. (2008-2012)

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
How about posting some of the screenshots from the NWN mod for us to see here then? You really have nothing to lose by doing so. You really should have made it clear on Kickstarter that you have a "prototype" fully completed.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
You really should have made it clear on Kickstarter that you have a "prototype" fully completed.

10. All the quests and conversations are scripted and tested, so that the game is playable now in the development environment

Umm, isn't this the same? :)

(Discussion in progress...)

I mean the NWN module. My interpretation reading that is that you have the script and written content put into the engine you are intending to release with, but given that the kickstarter is there to ask for money for graphics & other, it makes it sound like you don't have any visuals you can put it on display with. I'd still like to see some dialogue/quest screenshots from the NWN module that you have completed (I haven't played your other mods).

Anyway the video has some charm, but it is clearly just a render and not informative to how the game will play. You need to show more. Character concepts, landscape concept art, story excerpts. The way I see a Kickstarter should work is you actually invest in some real money of your own so that you have something serious to show people, such as an alpha build, a decent in-game video or at the very least some interviews with concept art and prototype screenshots (which could include some shots of the NWN mod in your case). I think it is such a big opportunity for success that people should not hold back on what they can show to the public, including dipping into their own pockets before getting any donations.

Also count me in as one of the people not a fan of the idea of giving extra in-game things to people the more they donate. It just doesn't sit well with me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it would have been a better idea to wait a few weeks until you got more to show until you start the kickstarter (and until Wasteland 2 and Banner Saga have finished their kickstarter drives cause they got the same target group and are more well-known, so I suspect they might currently be taking customers away from you... or the customers who would pay for your game are out of cash cause they already donated to those two games!). A better, more in-depth and detailed description of the planned gameplay mechanics would have been a good idea too.

In order to sell your idea, you need to raise appetites towards your game. This can only be done by specifically telling WHY it will be awesome. This is kinda missing from your kickstarter page.
I think the game looks pretty interesting, but that's after I looked at your mods it'll be based on, not from the kickstarter itself, which is a little too vague.

Kitako

Arcane
Keeping an eye on this, I really dig the style on the video.
Waiting to see some meat.

I remember trying to play Tortured Hearts module, but it felt rather generic and bland compared to the other modules so I never went far. I can say that the Kickstarter page has the very same problem. The only thing I know is that there's a lot of stuff and that kit has humor. It lacks something that would make the project unique so it looks pale compared to other active RPG projects.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
AlabasterOvercoat said:

I remember trying to play Tortured Hearts module, but it felt rather generic and bland compared to the other modules so I never went far

Try to play a little longer - be patient with Tortured Hearts 1+2 and you will be rewarded with great game experience.

Try to play a little longer - be patient with Tortured Hearts 1+2 and you will be rewarded with great game experience.

I've forgotten to add that since so many people recommend it here I'm going to install NVN in the near future and try it.

zeitgeist

Magister
Hi guys

I'm Zoltan Gonda, one of the designers of TH.

Remember Ultimate Newcomer? Giving money to people who have been promising a release (of something that appears to be pretty much done, and has appeared so for years) yet not delivering for so long doesn't seem very prudent, unless perhaps we get in writing that the first few bucks will go towards the purchase of a calendar.

As Alex said, I'm not working on Ultimate Newcomer whatsoever. If I was, it would have been finished long ago.
Oh, in that case, apologies for the misplaced remark, I jumped to the wrong conclusion since your Kickstarter page talks about Newcomer and the Newcomer team quite a bit (most of the TH team seems to have worked on it), and I didn't realize there were completely separate dev teams involved. Maybe you should distance yourself (and this team) from the Ultimate project a bit then, since one of the first things people see when they search for Newcomer is a bunch of broken release date promises and you know, first impressions and all that.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Good luck but I would not give money for what I saw. First of all, I don't like the cartoon style. The other thing is that making an application for over 300.000$ with so little preparation is highly unprofessional. Do this a couple of times in succession and you will soon have a reputation as an asshat.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, I like the art style but I agree with other comments that you would have been better off waiting until you had some gameplay to show. Wish you luck but I doubt you'll hit $300k. Just too many people jumping on the Kickstarter bandwagon now.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Good luck but I would not give money for what I saw. First of all, I don't like the cartoon style. The other thing is that making an application for over 300.000$ with so little preparation is highly unprofessional. Do this a couple of times in succession and you will soon have a reputation as an asshat.

You don't like cartoon style, that says it all. No point to go on in any direction.

On top of that, maybe you should work on your tone, sir.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Well, I like the art style but I agree with other comments that you would have been better off waiting until you had some gameplay to show. Wish you luck but I doubt you'll hit $300k. Just too many people jumping on the Kickstarter bandwagon now.

This is a very special situation. We have a half-done game (4 years of work) that needs to be converted to have a gameplay to show you.

Destroid

Arcane
I agree with what the others have said about showing your work. I believe the reason relative unknowns like the FTL team were able to get such a large amount of funding is they were able to show an actual prototype. I find it highly unlikely you will hit your target with no star power and not showing any of your game, even if it is in another engine.

Lumpy

Arcane

You don't like cartoon style, that says it all. No point to go on in any direction.

On top of that, maybe you should work on your tone, sir.
Uh, you do know where you are, right?
:kfc:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

This is a very special situation. We have a half-done game (4 years of work) that needs to be converted to have a gameplay to show you.

I'm aware of the situation but I'm just stating reality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom