Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tortured Hearts - Kickstarter Campaign

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by HiddenX, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Click here and disable ads!
    This is very strange. The same guy made a "hardcore" NWN mod called Tortured Hearts which is kind of like AoD: stats are everything, everything is a skill or ability check and you're free to do what you want in whatever order. It suffered a lot from the writing being too ... I don't know. He wasn't a native speaker. It wasn't wrong, it just felt off - just like the AoD demo.

Anyway, the module was anything but light-hearted.
    ^ Top  
  2. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman
    Actually, there is.

It's written and scripted in NWN1, prepared to be converted.

I guess you don't want to see the screenshots :)
    ^ Top  
  3. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman
    Since I've been working with DrHoo, it's not an issue anymore. (2008-2012)
    ^ Top  
  4. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Wow, you guys already did the whole game in NWN 1 toolset?

:retarded:

I have no idea what to think of this.
    ^ Top  
  5. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman
    BTW there was an update on skills and stuff.
    ^ Top  
  6. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman

Yes, from beginning to end. Massive as hell. :)

The game is waiting to be converted to Unity format.
    ^ Top  
  7. Excommunicator Magister

Excommunicator
    How about posting some of the screenshots from the NWN mod for us to see here then? You really have nothing to lose by doing so. You really should have made it clear on Kickstarter that you have a "prototype" fully completed.
    Burning Bridges and DwarvenFood Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman
    10. All the quests and conversations are scripted and tested, so that the game is playable now in the development environment

Umm, isn't this the same? :)

(Discussion in progress...)
    ^ Top  
  9. Excommunicator Magister

Excommunicator
    I mean the NWN module. My interpretation reading that is that you have the script and written content put into the engine you are intending to release with, but given that the kickstarter is there to ask for money for graphics & other, it makes it sound like you don't have any visuals you can put it on display with. I'd still like to see some dialogue/quest screenshots from the NWN module that you have completed (I haven't played your other mods).

Anyway the video has some charm, but it is clearly just a render and not informative to how the game will play. You need to show more. Character concepts, landscape concept art, story excerpts. The way I see a Kickstarter should work is you actually invest in some real money of your own so that you have something serious to show people, such as an alpha build, a decent in-game video or at the very least some interviews with concept art and prototype screenshots (which could include some shots of the NWN mod in your case). I think it is such a big opportunity for success that people should not hold back on what they can show to the public, including dipping into their own pockets before getting any donations.

Also count me in as one of the people not a fan of the idea of giving extra in-game things to people the more they donate. It just doesn't sit well with me.
    ^ Top  
  10. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    ^What he said!

Also, too bad you could not show some characters in the video. And 300K$ ? I hope you guys can make it, fingers crossed.
    ^ Top  
  11. JarlFrank Medieval Barbarian Patron

JarlFrank
    I think it would have been a better idea to wait a few weeks until you got more to show until you start the kickstarter (and until Wasteland 2 and Banner Saga have finished their kickstarter drives cause they got the same target group and are more well-known, so I suspect they might currently be taking customers away from you... or the customers who would pay for your game are out of cash cause they already donated to those two games!). A better, more in-depth and detailed description of the planned gameplay mechanics would have been a good idea too.

In order to sell your idea, you need to raise appetites towards your game. This can only be done by specifically telling WHY it will be awesome. This is kinda missing from your kickstarter page.
    I think the game looks pretty interesting, but that's after I looked at your mods it'll be based on, not from the kickstarter itself, which is a little too vague.
    felipepepe Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  12. Kitako Arcane

Kitako
    Keeping an eye on this, I really dig the style on the video.
    Waiting to see some meat.
    ^ Top  
  13. AlabasterOvercoat Novice

AlabasterOvercoat
    I remember trying to play Tortured Hearts module, but it felt rather generic and bland compared to the other modules so I never went far. I can say that the Kickstarter page has the very same problem. The only thing I know is that there's a lot of stuff and that kit has humor. It lacks something that would make the project unique so it looks pale compared to other active RPG projects.
    ^ Top  
  14. HiddenX The Elder Spy Patron

HiddenX
    Divinity: Original Sin
    AlabasterOvercoat said:

Try to play a little longer - be patient with Tortured Hearts 1+2 and you will be rewarded with great game experience.
    ^ Top  
  15. AlabasterOvercoat Novice

AlabasterOvercoat
    I've forgotten to add that since so many people recommend it here I'm going to install NVN in the near future and try it.
    ^ Top  
  16. zeitgeist Arbiter

zeitgeist
    Oh, in that case, apologies for the misplaced remark, I jumped to the wrong conclusion since your Kickstarter page talks about Newcomer and the Newcomer team quite a bit (most of the TH team seems to have worked on it), and I didn't realize there were completely separate dev teams involved. Maybe you should distance yourself (and this team) from the Ultimate project a bit then, since one of the first things people see when they search for Newcomer is a bunch of broken release date promises and you know, first impressions and all that.
    ^ Top  
  17. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman
    zeitgeist

No prob, pal. :)

Soon we are going to upload a few samples of TH conversations.
    ^ Top  
  18. Commissar Draco KKKodex WCDS Commissar

Commissar Draco
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Same here, NWN mod was not too lolzy just had very boring begging IRC something about being candle maker or shit.
    ^ Top  
  19. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    Good luck but I would not give money for what I saw. First of all, I don't like the cartoon style. The other thing is that making an application for over 300.000$ with so little preparation is highly unprofessional. Do this a couple of times in succession and you will soon have a reputation as an asshat.
    ^ Top  
  20. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Well, I like the art style but I agree with other comments that you would have been better off waiting until you had some gameplay to show. Wish you luck but I doubt you'll hit $300k. Just too many people jumping on the Kickstarter bandwagon now.
    ^ Top  
  21. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman
    You don't like cartoon style, that says it all. No point to go on in any direction.

On top of that, maybe you should work on your tone, sir.
    ^ Top  
  22. SubBassman Educated

SubBassman
    This is a very special situation. We have a half-done game (4 years of work) that needs to be converted to have a gameplay to show you.
    ^ Top  
  23. Destroid Arcane

Destroid
    I agree with what the others have said about showing your work. I believe the reason relative unknowns like the FTL team were able to get such a large amount of funding is they were able to show an actual prototype. I find it highly unlikely you will hit your target with no star power and not showing any of your game, even if it is in another engine.
    ^ Top  
  24. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Uh, you do know where you are, right?
    :kfc:
    ^ Top  
  25. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    I'm aware of the situation but I'm just stating reality.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)