Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
MOTB's itemization/looting, combat, and camera controls were all lame, but that was largely an inheritance from NWN2. The high level content is fairly dumb and jumps out constantly in some ways not so much in the presence of high level content but the absence of low level content. I feel like the high level stuff should come across like one of those scale changes in Supreme Commander -- the experimental units only work because they're tramping bazillions of smaller things. You see the same thing with kaiju movies. Need a mix of tanks and Mecha-Godzilla for it to work. A world of all Mecha-Godzillas doesn't make much sense. Even Skull Island had little tribesmen.

Despite these failings, though, MOTB has many excellent elements, including very strong art design within the confines of NWN2, some really interesting high level encounters, great choice-and-consequence, good voice acting, great writing, interesting setting, etc. Most of that maybe fits under the rubric of story but it's not "story" like you'd read in a book -- it's the way the story is told through the game. (The Myrkul encounter is a great example of this, when he mocks you for having gone through a portal without knowing where it would lead. Everything about that encounter -- the visuals, the camera work, the voice acting, the use of lore, the options, the writing -- is excellent. It wouldn't be particularly momentous stripped from gameplay context.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So you think Milo really spent $75 on this, or does he just have a super fan willing to sign his name?

AFAIK Milo was not a gamer before GG in 2014 - the Kickstarter was in 2013. Could be a later pre-order, but that seems unlikely. Given that there was a brief trend of people naming themselves Milo on Twitter when he was banned from there, this could be another Milo homage from a fan.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
By the way, while I was too dumb to reset my router taking a short vacation from the Codex, I went through the backer credits and noticed a name that made me double-take
LR8zdwT.jpg

So you think Milo really spent $75 on this, or does he just have a super fan willing to sign his name?
Well Milo is pretty well spoken faggot,wouldn't be surprised if he is a Torment fan.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh? NWN2 had levelscaling?

It's a feature of the toolset, yes. It's the "if x level, spawn x creatures" kind, not "boost creature stats by x" scaling. (though they did that by hand with the gnolls, true)

I know I may have already asked this question, and in that case I apologize for it in advance, but is there a chance a mod is going to come out, cutting all the writing to make me enjoy tides of numenera? I do not want to read so much text, but I would be ok with the concise style, especially after reading some of pillars dialogs.

Iznaliu

Arbiter

I think this answers your question pretty definitively:

Milo Yiannopoulos said:
I understand why young people might get the odd thrill from beating up a bad guy, or catching a glimpse of a nipple or two. But there’s something a bit tragic, isn’t there, about men in their thirties hunched over a controller whacking a helmeted extraterrestrial? I’m in my late twenties, and even I find it sad. And yet there are so many of them – enough to support a multi-billion dollar video games industry. That’s an awful lot of unemployed saddos living in their parents’ basements.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
While Milo is fun, he's extremely uninformed about a lot of stuff. I guess he's too busy taking dicks up the ass to read up on video games and their audiences.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think this answers your question pretty definitively:
Outdated article, my dude.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...mes-for-nearly-a-year-heres-what-ive-learned/

Video gaming has produced elegant and narratively rich games that nonetheless include gameplay and challenge. Take the acclaimed classic Planescape: Torment, which tells the story of an immortal amnesiac.

The outstanding writing, characters and storyline overshadow the gameplay to such an extent that combat ceases to be the primary focus of the game; instead, the player focuses on interacting with the world and characters and losing themselves in the plot.

In short, Planescape features a diverse and interesting cast and some killer writing. As with BioShock, which explores the controversial philosophies of Ayn Rand, but unlike Dragon Age: Inquisition, nothing is shoved down your throat.

Role-playing games like The Witcher offer moral and political choices, but the best games are ambiguous and difficult to predict. They require the player to pay attention to characters and setting, the payoff being not only reward or punishment for the player, but also watching characters deal with the consequences of their actions. The Void by Ice-Pick Lodge, a Russian adventure game with a cult following, also offers a positive example of artistic games.

Unlike walking simulators, the market has responded to artistic products that can legitimately use the name “game.” When a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment was crowdfunded on Kickstarter by a team including many of the original developers, it received more than $4 million dollars from nearly 75,000 contributors – more than 400 per cent of the original $900,000 funding goal.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Huh, interesting article, I didn't know Milo was so keen and motivated to understand video games.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, interesting article, I didn't know Milo was so keen and motivated to understand video games.
For all you know he just browsed /v/ and took hints, which, admittedly, is more groundwork and research done than most gamejournolols.

Lacrymas

Arcane
How would he so drastically change his opinion by just browsing /v/? He's not the sort of person to seek approval from a particular group of people, especially those he has denigrated in the past, so I doubt he's lying.

Educated
I decided to give this game a try again now it's completely patched. The steam page says the game requires 20 gb but Steam download only asked for 8 gb of space. Is the free weekend version a shitty demo or something?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I decided to give this game a try again now it's completely patched. The steam page says the game requires 20 gb but Steam download only asked for 8 gb of space. Is the free weekend version a shitty demo or something?

It probably preselects your language and discards the others. 500 million words and voicovers are probably talking most of those gigabytes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aren't Steam games compressed or something? Check how much space the game directory takes up after you've downloaded the 8GB.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Poor Fargo's getting desperate.

I've noticed that several Unity games on Steam ask for double than what it actually requires. It's the entire thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom