Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A lot of games make claims about reactivity, especially RPGs. How deep are we talking with Tides? You have at least one previous Alpha Protocol team member on-side in Chris Avellone – is that the standard of player agency you're aiming for?

MCA is the Alpha Protocol guy now?

Athelas

Arcane
I suppose it must be awkward to refer to Brian Mitsoda as 'Alpha Protocol team member who was replaced with another writer'.

Trip

Learned
Maybe. JRPGs do love these kinds of settings, is all I know.

Both JRPGs and anime are into baroque stuff in general. Combine that with some fantasy and some science-fiction and you almost always got Dying Earth. So I suppose they've arrived at it from a different angle.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting, they're now planning to create "12-15 crises". It used to be just 12.

Trip

Learned
400K words so far means maybe twice as many till they're done, so throw in the Crises and the exploration, and I think you'd have at least 30 hours per playthrough. But it also depends on the quantity and size of the maps; I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't mind if it's a 20-30 hour game with actual replay value. There are enough 50+ hour games out there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tumblr_nqind47fMY1s762nho1_1280.jpg

From the office of Torment: Sagus Cliffs story session with (from left to right): Evan Hill, Josh Jertberg, Daniel Kim, John Winocur, George Ziets, Chris Felts, Colin McComb, with Jason Dora taking the photo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There's a dude hiding behind Josh Jertberg! Wonder who he is.

EDIT: According to Brother None that's Black Isle and Obsidian veteran environmental artist Aaron Meyers. Also ksaun is in the room too.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't think he's hiding, just unaware of the angle of the photograph.

George Ziets seems like he's hiding though. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
In this E3 interview, Brian Fargo says the Alpha Systems Test will be ready "in the next month". That was a week and a half ago. But it sounds like they might still have to test it internally or something.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Wasn't the Alpha test supposed to be just an example of a dialogue with literally no gameplay where you can move your character and stuff like that?

Anyway my point is, what exactly are they going to show since the whole system was given to them by Obs and we pretty much experienced it in PoE already?

Upd: nvm, just saw the update, there will be gameplay in it.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Wasn't the Alpha test supposed to be just an example of a dialogue with literally no gameplay where you can move your character and stuff like that?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1272133

As you may recall we have been planning to run a series of alpha systems tests, contained gameplay portions where you help us iterate on some of our gameplay concepts and implementations. We almost released the first AST several months ago, but the last week or two to finalize it, plus the ongoing iteration we’d want to make to address feedback, looked like it would detract too much from content creation at that time. We were still ramping up new team members who came over from Wasteland 2 and we wanted to keep the team more focused to speed things up. The good news is that the game overall has come a good distance since then, so there’ll be more to see. The very first AST will still be quite directed (i.e., brief), but originally it was going to be simply a conversation and now it’ll cover a bit more.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
In this E3 interview, Brian Fargo says the Alpha Systems Test will be ready "in the next month". That was a week and a half ago. But it sounds like they might still have to test it internally or something.

That's fairly accurate. But in general, its priority is still lower than many other things (e.g., any issue that blocks team members from working at maximum efficiency). So I'm avoiding committing to a firm date because I don't want to risk having to make unfortunate compromises.

Upd: nvm, just saw the update, there will be gameplay in it.

Yes (though not too much). (Really this first one is also about just setting up and trying out our process for the ASTs -- iron out the rough spots for the more substantial ones.)

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did you notice that in the video there was a manta ray silhouette circling around this spherical tank? I love those moving details in backgrounds.:yeah:

1024x768.jpg

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also noticed the flying manta.

Ever since I saw that spherical thing, I've been dying to know what the fuck it is!

My guess is some kind of observatory/telescope.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also noticed the flying manta.

Ever since I saw that spherical thing, I've been dying to know what the fuck it is!

My guess is some kind of observatory/telescope.
Ah the newbies to Numenera :D
In Numenera you rarely find out the original purpose of something but only what it is currently being used for :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I predict game launch on April 7, 2016. (Thursday) :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom