Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Story Trailer

Visbhume

Prophet
The hanging at 1:25 is an alternative take on the Crucifixion of Jesus, one in which God does completely forsake his Son.

Cool trailer, I too enjoyed the biblical patriarch angle. But The Sorrow it a bit meh name.

I liked The Angel of Entropy better. It was reminiscent of Klee's Angelus Novus and of the reflections on history and progress that the drawing suggested to Walter Benjamin:

A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.

I wish they also kept this kind of stuff (the Sorrow I mean, not the Changing God as that seems like something that would be introduced very early in the game anyway) out of the promos, or at least marked as spoilers. By announcing it so early, and repeatedly harping on it, they've just blown a chunk of plot. It's like if Morte woke you up at the start of PS:T and opened with "There's this guy called The Transcendent One....", or if the Vault manager guy started FO1 off by saying "Go get the water chip, and watch out for that supermutant army on the way. Oh those? They're made by this guy called the Master, he's been mutated by some virus that was developed in the final days of the war. Be a bit more discerning if you run into the ghouls though - they look nasty, and some are, but others are pretty good bros".

Edit: Okay, I'm not saying that 'the Sorrow' should have been kept as some big reveal, given that it's obviously meant to look like TTO all over again. The minimum that they'd need to do to make the Sorrow interesting, would be to spend the first section of the game making it look exactly like TTO all over again, and then start introducing things to suggest maybe that isn't the case, and eventually either have it usurped by a more interesting antagonist or develop it in a way so that the resemblance to TTO is merely superficial.

But even giving them the benefit of the doubt on that one (and I do), they're still giving too much specific plot/setting information in their promos, and too little specific gameplay information. Yes, PS:T wasn't promoted well, but "strange world where black is white, up is down, weird kooky stuff everywhere, and nothing is what it seems" is actually a pretty well established setting, especially in sci-fantasy action dramadies
(where it starts off as a comedy, and then gets darker and darker - Farscape's an obvious example, because you've got that sharp turn where the square-jawed classic hero gets tortured near the end of season 1, and spends the next 3 seasons half-mad, trigger-happy and as ruthlessly obsessed as the increasingly sympathetic 'villain', but there's been tons of others where 'kooky weird land with weird stuff' is exactly how it's marketed)
. You don't need to tell people what the kooky stuff is - they expect to be surprised by it when they play the game, just as much as they expect to see elves and orcs in a fantasy setting.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
^ What he said.

Redacted because of sneaky text wall building.

Benefit of the doubt, not even once.

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane
Cool trailer, I too enjoyed the biblical patriarch angle. But The Sorrow it a bit meh name.

I liked The Angel of Entropy better. It was reminiscent of Klee's Angelus Novus and of the reflections on history and progress that the drawing suggested to Walter Benjamin:

A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.

I wish they also kept this kind of stuff (the Sorrow I mean, not the Changing God as that seems like something that would be introduced very early in the game anyway) out of the promos, or at least marked as spoilers. By announcing it so early, and repeatedly harping on it, they've just blown a chunk of plot. It's like if Morte woke you up at the start of PS:T and opened with "There's this guy called the Transcendent One....", or if the Vault manager guy started FO1 off by saying "Go get the water chip, and watch out for that supermutant army on the way. Oh those? They're made by this guy called the Master, he's been mutated by some virus that was developed in the final days of the war. Be a bit more discerning if you run into the ghouls though - they look nasty, and some are, but others are pretty good bros".

Well, whatever the reason, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the simultaneous console release.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

I wish they also kept this kind of stuff (the Sorrow I mean, not the Changing God as that seems like something that would be introduced very early in the game anyway) out of the promos, or at least marked as spoilers. By announcing it so early, and repeatedly harping on it, they've just blown a chunk of plot. It's like if Morte woke you up at the start of PS:T and opened with "There's this guy called The Transcendent One....", or if the Vault manager guy started FO1 off by saying "Go get the water chip, and watch out for that supermutant army on the way. Oh those? They're made by this guy called the Master, he's been mutated by some virus that was developed in the final days of the war. Be a bit more discerning if you run into the ghouls though - they look nasty, and some are, but others are pretty good bros".

Well at least it has multiple tentacles. How can a multiheaded creature be so unhappy and called sorrow?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Well at least it has multiple tentacles. How can a multiheaded creature be so unhappy and called sorrow?
Probably because one of the heads is a PoEtard.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
So glad I backed this in 2013. Most compelling and visceral experience ever! 7 playthroughs already. Yes 17.

images

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I would, but they have the same UI on consoles as on PC. What the fuck??? I don't have a mouse and keyboard on my console.

Darkzone

Arcane
So inXile admitted that Techland is responsible for the trailer. In this case the resemblance between TW2, TW3 and T:ToN trailers was not just coincidence.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Grognards will be hunted and at the end there will only be balance. You will play as the last grognard falling from the kickstarter sky, starting your journey bellow, on the Codex Edgy Cliffs, soon you will travel to the Bloom, a place for anal retention and butthurt galore where butthurt anuses grow on the very ground, are you escaping from eternal anal pain inflicted by the guardian of balance? Is he going to hunt the grognards to the very end or is there yet hope? We will see on Torment: Tides of NumaNuma, a game made by tormented game developer Brain Fargo The Last of the Kickstartians, a once proud race of developers once hunted down by mobs of a far more numerous tribe, The Defrauded Customers, is he going to redeem his race? We will see soon.

Shin

Cipher
ITS UP TO YOU TO DEFEAT THE EVIL SORROW AND BRING PEACE TO YOURSELF AND THOSE WHO INHABIT THE SHATTERED EARTH

Sacibengala

Prophet
Everything that I saw until now indicates that, at least visualy, the game will be inferior to PST. I just hope that I'm wrong. On the other fronts, I'm spoiler free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom