Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

acer palmatum

Scholar
Another interesting and quite well-thought-out review I found at "Dark Side of Gaming":

http://www.dsogaming.com/special/reviews/dsogaming-torment-tides-of-numenera-review/

Chris Kouvopoulos

1f914.png

Some hypotheses:

(a) Greek conspiracy against Fargo, obviously.

(b) Greeks are living on the edge due to the recession.

(c) It's a alt of the same dude that trashed the game in the other review.

(d) Kingcomrade.

Or greeks hate bankhouses, because those got them in the mess they are in - and Brian pays dearly for his family ties.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
"It wasn't impossible to build the Codex on an island in the Aegean. It was impossible to build it anywhere else."

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
This is obviously a lie, I don't know how can anyone take a "review" seriously somebody who is making up shit like this.

Since I have not played the game, I cannot base my arguments on much. I believe that any mistake or misstep by InXile will be magnified by the fact that Planescape Torment has a cult following at this point, and so we could see a knee jerk negative reaction. That is not to say that the game is secretly good, but the reviewers could be right, but for the wrong reasons if that makes sense.
No it does not.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Played a bit more and I'm really liking the little quests on Sagus Cliffs, they really use the setting well and allow for different solutions, it is a long time since I saw time sensitive quests on an RPG. The areas are well designed and I have fun exploring them.

The bad news is that so far Aligern and Arritis are a bore, the characters are kinda meh, to not be unfair I will wait to see if they show some interesting side but this and the way NumaNuma loves flashbacks, I don't feel all that engaged by the main story. Having alot more fun with the side quests.

The exposition overload is annoying,names, places and artefacts names unloaded at once, there is an scene where a character explains what is a Mere, a merecaster, jokh, mentions a bunch of names from other castoffs and you right away go on a text based flashback with a character you barely know talking with another character you don't know outside Sargus Cliffs on a place you don't know talking with people you don't know, disorientation is an euphemism.

Liking the effort system , it makes the social part of the game more interesting than just clicking on the right dialog option to win, you have to manage your effort to have some on the right time.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So anyone invited the Greek to the codex yet?

Don't be too hasty. That 'reviewer' gave Hitman Derpolution a rating of 89.

Here's other ratings by this Greek Edgelord phony:

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded 95
Dead Space 3 80
Life is Strange 88
Deus Ex: The Fall 62
Her Story 89
Mankind Divided 95

bunch of other shovelware Telltale episodes, Escape dead Island, Hardboiled Chicken etc..70-80'ish

Stop the press...he gave Twitcher 3 102/100 so there's hope for him yet! ;)

Quote:
A monumental achievement of staggeringly aching beauty, the Witcher III stands proudly as the greatest video game of all time, regardless of genre.

Spoken like a TRUE Codexer! :salute:

Last edited:
Weasel
So anyone invited the Greek to the codex yet?

Figured I'd pop in and bro fist (if my ever-adapting dictionary of the galaxy is correct:nocountryforshitposters:) all the good folk who stand up to exploitation and deceit. Planescape: Torment's legacy should not be besmirched by such a pretender. If Numenera had been quietly released as a small, 10 person indie interactive novel with pretensions of gamifciation, it would have all been gravy. But 4.5M and Torment's name thrown around like a late 19th century whore's jingled veil in order to cash in? Not on our watch.

:troll:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Stop shitting on it, can I have ONE fucking isometric RPG besides Underrail that's good? why must everything suck? :negative:

To be fair, the hiring of a gay drag queen to voice a serious looking character was a huge red flag. I knew Obsidian were :incloosive: but fucking inXile too? WHY MUST EVERYTHING SUCK ASS ARRGH

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It feels like that for a text-heavy game it does a pretty poor job for making the player want to read further. Every other character I encounter is some kind of a psychic memory ghost that has nothing interesting to say. Does it get better after Sagus Cliffs?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Stop shitting on it, can I have ONE fucking isometric RPG besides Underrail that's good? why must everything suck? :negative:
Hi Mr. BuzzKill,
Might I take a moment of your time to shill for AoD?

Also, I hear some lurkers give some pretty g. oral for free to those that play it. If this offer strikes your fancy, please follow me down this alley, I assure you it will be worth your while.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The apotheosis of this half-baked impression comes with the choose-your-own-adventure blocks of text that appear plastered on some sketch artwork during flashbacks. This was jaw-dropping at first and one can easily think that it’s some kind of placeholder draft that was forgotten in post-production. If you are a true fan (and especially if you have already participated in the massive crowdfunding project and do not want to admit that maybe you should not have spent 400 dollars to back a nostalgia-capitalizing product) you can find excuses for most of TToN’s faults. But plopping blocks of text and multiple choice menus is inexcusable and unfortunately (for lack of a better word) cheap.

I don't understand why they say the meres feel cheap. The game definetly feels that has had some corners cut if you have followed the game, but the meres are certainly not one of them. I thought they were great.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The apotheosis of this half-baked impression comes with the choose-your-own-adventure blocks of text that appear plastered on some sketch artwork during flashbacks. This was jaw-dropping at first and one can easily think that it’s some kind of placeholder draft that was forgotten in post-production. If you are a true fan (and especially if you have already participated in the massive crowdfunding project and do not want to admit that maybe you should not have spent 400 dollars to back a nostalgia-capitalizing product) you can find excuses for most of TToN’s faults. But plopping blocks of text and multiple choice menus is inexcusable and unfortunately (for lack of a better word) cheap.

I don't understand why they say the meres feel cheap. The game definetly feels that has had some corners cut if you have followed the game, but the meres are certainly not one of them. I thought they were great.

Yeah, they blend in quite nicely. There are so many better examples of cut corners in the game (like, everything after Sagus).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel like those two Greek reviews probably have a Roxorian kernel of truth, but their comments about the Meres make me think there's something they fundamentally don't get about the game's appeal.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I feel like those two Greek reviews probably have a Roxorian kernel of truth, but their comments about the Meres make me think there's something they fundamentally don't get about the game's appeal.

There's truth in them, but they seem kind of vendetta-ish for being dissapointed by the game and the kickstarter. The complaints about the meres seem like a pretty dishonest way to accuse the game of being cheaper than it should be (voice acting is clearly the most clear way to ilustrate it if you ask me, but whatever)

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Fuck it, I'm not gonna let Kodex spoil a game for me again. I'm just gonna play it and make my own impression. Everybody here is so toxic and forgot what it's like to genuinely enjoy an RPG

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck it, I'm not gonna let Kodex spoil a game for me again. I'm just gonna play it and make my own impression. Everybody here is so toxic and forgot what it's like to genuinely enjoy an RPG
Carry on, we'll still be here when you want to return and complain about how shit it is. Oh and you're not the last castoff, you're the sorrow.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

What makes you think that we aren't capable of ruining your impression afterwards?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom