Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Released

Sizzle

Arcane
To balance the shameless shilling, i'm presenting you the funniest line in Numenera i've found, word for word. Second sentence is pure comedy gold.
[Spectre npc, near the Clock, after getting tides skill]

"Then, you feel it: a hole inside you, like something torn away, a truth, an unknown answer to an unknown question, a name, a self.
You crumple with the weakness of hollow things and imagine armoring yourself in a false enigma, obscuring your shame through obscurity, and scrounging through the world's drit for a lone lost grain."
Now that you mention it, how do you get that Tide skill? I spent 10h running around Sagus Cliffs, visited all areas except Caravanserai and Underbelly and only found places where to use that skill.

You get it in the "Find Rhin" quest.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Modern Torment is shit. Should the developers stop their attempts at doing something similar? We won't get no more Torment, but at least the memories are safe.

Yes, we should stop any developer from making a Modern Torment for the following reasons:

(1) What made PS:T great was the gameplay tied to a narrative premise that works only one time.

(2) Modern developers don’t know what made PS:T special because they lost their minds due to the SJW plague.

(3) Every time some developer tries to make a spiritual successor of a classic, it leaves a stain on the classics they are trying to pay homage to, and lowers the standards of the industry even more.

(4) Spiritual successors are prone to become convoluted cash grabs because developers need to both implement their vision and please the nostalgic audience.

Modern cRPGs are shit. Should the developers stop their attempts at doing something similar? We won't get no more cRPGs, but at least the memories are safe

Yes, they should stop trying to do something similar, because similar in this case is synonymous of mediocrity and bad gaming. They should try to listen to their target audience for once, and consider the remote possibility that their game mechanics are not sacrosanct. They should also try to rethink their business model and game development practices. Why is it a good idea to have a bunch of writers on the team? Does it make any sense to have a writer that doesn’t design quests, but is there only to add companions, a.k.a. ambulant walls of text? Does it make any sense having backer content vandalizing your game? What is the point of providing novellas when you are delivering a game? Why is it a good idea to waste resources porting your game to consoles? Does it make any sense to attempt to create a literary masterpiece when good writing in gaming means good quests and good gameplay?

So, they can keep trying making cRPGs, but if they keep ignoring us, they will keep delivering shitty games and getting bashed on the skull.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Okay, whose Reddit prank is this?
It seems that this game is casual friendly version of Age of Decadence

Before you downvote - I say that as not a bad thing!

But look at this: Both games have ...
  • optional fights with frustrating battle system
  • lots of text
  • great variety of ways to solve quests
  • similar post-apocalyptic/tech-is-magic settings
The difference is in Age of Decadence game tries to kill you for every mistake(and succedes in most cases), but in T:ToN failures are forgiven and sometimes rewarded even.

With so little difference between games it is a shame that AoD is known to few hardcore fans, but T:ToN enjoys attention of every major game news outlet.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Has this been posted:

InXile aware of Torment: Tides of Numenera issues, working on updates
It has not just been Castoff.

By Robert Purchese Published 06/03/2017

It's safe to say Torment: Tides of Numenera, released last week, has a few technical bumps. I personally experienced them playing on PlayStation 4.

In roughly 30 hours I had a few crashes, got physically stuck on scenery, and saw monsters get confused in combat and turn around on the spot, exacerbating already sluggish turn-times greatly. The frame-rate was choppy too.

None of this was enough to spoil my overall very positive experience of the game, but it's clear Torment: Tides of Numenera could do with an update or two. But where are they? Nothing has been released and neither inXile nor publisher Techland. [This article previously stated Techland developed the console versions, which is incorrect. Techland clarified to me this afternoon it only published and distributed the game.]

I asked inXile boss Brian Fargo for an update at the weekend. His response was brief but assured me updates were coming.

"We are aware of the frame-rate dropping down on a few of the larger areas with Torment and we are on the case working on a solution," he told me. "The game is still quite enjoyable but we will continue to provide updates to improve the experience, as we do with all our games."

The PS4 version of Torment recorded at a pre-release event in January.

Torment: Tides of Numenera was Recommended by Eurogamer in Rich Cobbet's review. "Smart and commendably weird," he wrote, "inXile's homage to Planescape Torment doesn't exceed its inspiration but certainly does it proud."

Have you played Torment: Tides of Numenera yet - have you finished it? Well do hurry up! I'm sitting on a beefy post-mortem podcast which, over the course of two hours, covers everything from questions about game endings to questions about missing stretch goal content. Look out for that soon; and don't worry, I'll keep spoiler content hidden.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
As soon as combat started in the game, after the first few encounters, you just wanted it to be over and get to the good parts again.
I don't remeber that I thought something like that back then.
I think we need article or at least thread dedicated investiogation of comparison BG combat vs P:T combat in fine details.

If we don't pay a dime for games that came out shittier than we wanted, chances are that no one will have the balls to make something similar, and this part of gaming market will wither and die.
I have the opposite opinion. I agree with Pope Amole II - these "spiritual successors" are cancer.
And the more of it fail miserable and ocompanies that made it gone bunkrupt, the more space to breathe real games from indie sector will have.
My best regards to inXile and Obsidian and I wish them to go bunkrupt as fast as possible (or start to make real games).

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As soon as combat started in the game, after the first few encounters, you just wanted it to be over and get to the good parts again.
I think we need article or at least thread dedicated investiogation of comparison BG combat vs P:T combat in fine details.
Well, that's not so hard.
BG series (especially 1 without the addons) has quite a lot of shitty combat in between the good parts - the good and memorable combat encounters.
PS:T has quite a lot of shitty combat in between the good parts - new alien looking things to discover, lore and story, writing...

I do not remember a single combat encounter (in a positive way) in PS:T, yet I do remember a lot of other things about it.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Didn't they say that the console port didn't take away resources from making the game and hinted that it's Techland who've ported the game to consoles?

[This article previously stated Techland developed the console versions, which is incorrect. Techland clarified to me this afternoon it only published and distributed the game.]

The game feels like it'd been done in max couple years...and they announced console versions in 2015...*sniff sniff*...smells fishy.

:cmcc:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Ah, I mixed it with Wasteland 2 console ports, but my point still stands, if inXile also did the console versions along with the PC-versions, there's no way it would not had affected also the pc-version, especially if it's true that The Toy, The Specter etc companions were cut out late in development, as some people have suspected given that their dialogues etc were translated. Besides, we don't know how long they've actually been working on the console ports.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
So, Imma repost mah shit here. Just in case.

Some people wanted consensus. Thanks to a "Totally fair (and random) Number Generator"™ several posts from this magnificent thread were chosen to express general opinion about the game.
numenera_rating.jpg

And for those, who own a digital copy of the game but want to have boxed one, look no further! Print this box art and put it on the shelf!
Easy! Simple! Without much EFFORT! Don't forget to cut some content it and fold into a box!!!
art.jpg

EDIT: fixed image hosting fuckery

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I thought the cranium rats were really clever. Not sure I had fun necessarily, but it was a pretty great concept. (They are probably the only specific PS:T callout I put into my text, in the node about the Murcine Dream-Time Hypothesis.)

madbringer

Arcane
Let's be real, the game is a clusterfuck. Combat is awful, companions are too (((diverse))), character models are ugly, there's too much fucking text, it's buggy and unoptimized as shit and Fargo personally cut out all the good content before release.

Haven't played it yet, though.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's be real, the game is a clusterfuck. Combat is awful, companions are too (((diverse))), character models are ugly, there's too much fucking text, it's buggy and unoptimized as shit and Fargo personally cut out all the good content before release.

Haven't played it yet, though.

Reminded me of this:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Well, that's not so hard.
BG series (especially 1 without the addons) has quite a lot of shitty combat in between the good parts - the good and memorable combat encounters.
PS:T has quite a lot of shitty combat in between the good parts - new alien looking things to discover, lore and story, writing...

I do not remember a single combat encounter (in a positive way) in PS:T, yet I do remember a lot of other things about it.
memory_meme_by_godsgeek-d95cxza.png

Don Peste

Arcane
Steam reviews are at 73% now... Yesterday was 74, day before that 76... at launch it was - what now looks like a beautiful unreachable dream - a shining 81%. I'm noticing a trend here.

Perhaps the most awaited game of the decade, well in CRPGs at least... and they had over 2 years extra time to put it out. Such a shame. Well to be fair, it's not a complete failure I guess because the magazines didn't score it that bad. But it sure ain't a success either.

72%

:imokay:
70%?? :?

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Shit. That is not good. I like playing W2 - DC.

All this talks about how InXile reputation depends on TToN. And now it actually flops. Oh my.

Apexeon

Arcane
Steam reviews are at 73% now... Yesterday was 74, day before that 76... at launch it was - what now looks like a beautiful unreachable dream - a shining 81%. I'm noticing a trend here.

Perhaps the most awaited game of the decade, well in CRPGs at least... and they had over 2 years extra time to put it out. Such a shame. Well to be fair, it's not a complete failure I guess because the magazines didn't score it that bad. But it sure ain't a success either.

72%

:imokay:
70%?? :?

Look on the bright side when you hit 0% the only way is up.

Ivan

Arcane
I am nearly at the end of the game and I don't think I will be going back to Seagus anymore. Is there a way to cross the bridge in Cliff's Edge ? What about that area with the huge eggs and the bottom right corner?
the Sticha can get you to the eggs in Cliff's Edge. IDK about the "bridge" where Loss of Self is though.

Naraya

Arcane
I've decided to give it another go before going forward with PoE White March, after all.

In general I'd say it's quite enjoyable - the world is quite beautiful and pretty interesting, and I like the C&C portion of the game. There are glaring issues (non-existing translations, merchant interface bugs, AI) but they don't bother me that much - though I'm hoping for a patch sooner than later.

My plan is to finally play PS:T after I finish TToN. Last time I tried I couldn't get into PS:T (managed to exit the mortuary and do a quest or two, then out of a sudden was murdered in the street which turned me off).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Oh wow, Pillars of Eternity, Primordia and even Tyranny are selling better right now than Torment. That does seem pretty bad one week after release.

And it's at 69% and mixed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom