Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera released on Steam Early Access

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you have to avoid over-exposition to let the players form their own conclusions,

"Age of Decadence has too much boring text," -- an opinion I've seen expressed by multiple posters itf

MrMarbles

Cipher
you have to avoid over-exposition to let the players form their own conclusions,

"Age of Decadence has too much boring text," -- an opinion I've seen expressed by multiple posters itf

The boring part is one debate, over-exposition another.

AoD is text-heavy (much less so than PoE), but most of the text is dialogue. In that dialogue some of the NPCs hold back information, some believe in a wrong version of history and some are simply lying. The game leaves it to the player to figure out which versions of the story are true and how it all fits together. A game that (for some) requires multiple playthroughs to figure out exactly what is going on can't be guilty of over-exposition.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

You mean, Age of Decadence has too much mature writing. Not really, you will be bombarded with big chunks of writing when important NPCs are being presented it, but that is about it. This makes sense and should be a standard in the genre. Of course, if you want to read more, you need to dig deeper, ask more, read ancient lore, you name it. But that is not mandatory and nothing compared to PoE info dumps.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I notice how nobody's written an outstandingly negative review about the game on Steam yet. They are all generally positive, even the four negative ones are positive and are only negative because of the piss poor performance/bugs/betaness/etc.

Shin

Cipher
Played for about an hour and I'm surprised I'm actually kinda intrigued by the story. Only things that bugs me is all the friggin visions (this also bothered me in PoE). It's like constantly watching flashbacks (trying to place you in another PoV) which can be cool in small amounts but it happened way too often in this first hour tbh. At least there's somewhat less fluff in it's text compared to PoE.

So you want them to do what PoE did. :smug:

I -want- them to make the most awesomest RPG since <insert personal top 1-3 RPG here>.
Now, I no longer expect or hope for this and would already be positively surprised if they come out with something more-than-slightly-better than PoE or WL2; which to me is setting the bar far too low but probably the only way to possibly avoid utter disappointment.

Have to admit, I really liked both Wasteland 2 and Pillars of eternity.

I think both of them are very good games!

And now with DC version of Wasteland 2 and all the new stuff for POE - both of them are became really great games!

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I -want- them to make the most awesomest RPG since <insert personal top 1-3 RPG here>.
Now, I no longer expect or hope for this and would already be positively surprised if they come out with something more-than-slightly-better than PoE or WL2; which to me is setting the bar far too low but probably the only way to possibly avoid utter disappointment.

And now with DC version of Wasteland 2 and all the new stuff for POE - both of them are became really great games!

Weeeellll, if WL2 needed the DC version to become a decent game, they should have waited with releasing it until they'd completed making it the way the 'director' apparently meant it to be made instead of just ruining the experience of people anxious to play it. Now, I simply can't be assed to check it out again.

Spending money on the PoS that was PoE was a mistake in the first place.
Paying more money for it now, rewarding them for all the mistakes made on the original game in the vain hope that that they pulled their heads out of their asses simply isn't an option.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Weeeellll, if WL2 needed the DC version to become a decent game, they should have waited with releasing it until they'd completed making it the way the 'director' apparently meant it to be made instead of just ruining the experience of people anxious to play it. Now, I simply can't be assed to check it out again.

Paying more money for it now, rewarding them for all the mistakes made on the original game in the vain hope that that they pulled their heads out of their asses simply isn't an option.
They could not wait when there were bills to be paid.

Well, it's your opinion, not mine.
I think WL2 was a very good game, and now after the DC release... It's even better!

sstacks

Arcane
FYI I asked InXile this by twitter today:

ShanePlays @BrianFargo @inxile_ent If folks play through beta for Torment can they continue when full game drops or do they start over?

and received this reply:

thomasbeekers @ShanePlays @BrianFargo In all likelihood, the significant updates we'll make for the release version would break existing saves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom