Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Zer0wing

Cipher
No, the film in fact is pretty good, even though not exactly by the book. (but which good one which is?) TV series are pretty shitty, just as bad as T:ToN and does the same thing, retelling the old story in a new poorly done way, that's the meaning of the analogy, if it's so hard to get.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Torment - Tides of Numenera : Planescape - Torment - Books about Greek mythology
Most of the american entertainment is made by people that have read about Greek mythology and European history in universities and decided to try and do something with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
D:OS has full profiles, while PoE just allows you to hide saves from other games.

Each Pillars profile has its own quick and autosaves. It's possible this was patched in after you played.

Ulfhednar

Savant

Fargo didn't invent Numenera. Monte Cook did.

Midichlorian

Why does this correspond to PS:T? Is it ironic?

I was just having some fun with the author's mention of SAT analogies and poking fun at his choice of the Force Awakens when I consider the Phantom Menace far more apropos.

Numenera (the objects/items you find, not the setting itself) always struck me as a bit of a MacGuffin in the same way that Phantom Menace needs to explain the Force because midichlorians.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
[I'm taking you guys metanarrative full stop Grab your tinfoil hats, or your buttholes won't open for a week. Ok? Here we go.]

P:T is understood as follows: Nameless One became sentient after thousands of accumulated lives in QA, overhears Fargo talking plans for trilogy, and gets the fuck out.

:dontbelievehislies:

#PlanESCAPE, #RememberGuidoHenkel

Starwars

Arcane
There are some pretty cool things in this game. I fought the cultists in the tomb place (in the Valley of Dead heroes), ended up dying. Then when returning, the people I fought had a newfound respect for my immortality and left me alone (after I snapped the neck of their leader of course).

I haven't finished Oom's quest (and I'm not entirely sure I can actually since I missed a particular ability that I think one *might* need to finish the quest, not sure though) but he is... alright. Not a game-changer, but amusing and sorta cute.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
There are some pretty cool things in this game. I fought the cultists in the tomb place (in the Valley of Dead heroes), ended up dying. Then when returning, the people I fought had a newfound respect for my immortality and left me alone (after I snapped the neck of their leader of course).

I haven't finished Oom's quest (and I'm not entirely sure I can actually since I missed a particular ability that I think one *might* need to finish the quest, not sure though) but he is... alright. Not a game-changer, but amusing and sorta cute.

If inXile hadn't called it Torment and constantly compared it to PS:T, then it would be held to a lower standard.

Starwars

Arcane
I think that has a farir amount to do with it. I quite like this game overall, though it is severely lacking to PS:T when it comes to... the parts that it's supposed to really nail (main story and companions). And it does some things a lot better, most notably freedom of choice in how to handle some quests.

It's a disappointing game considering its legacy but it's a pretty good "interactive novel mixed with RPG" on its own.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I think that has a farir amount to do with it. I quite like this game overall, though it is severely lacking to PS:T when it comes to... the parts that it's supposed to really nail (main story and companions). And it does some things a lot better, most notably freedom of choice in how to handle some quests.

It's a disappointing game considering its legacy but it's a pretty good "interactive novel mixed with RPG" on its own.

Nitpick of the day: Planescape: Torment wasn't really as much about the choice and consequence as it was about telling the story of the Nameless One. The story of the Nameless One had priority and C&C was squeezed in wherever it could logically fit. And the C&C wasn't necessarily just about different ways to complete quests as much as it was about trying to react to the environment as your N.O. would. Something as basic as "freedom of choice in how to handle some quests" could be applied to almost any RPG, from Skyrim to Icewind Dale if you just use that phrase without any form of qualifier.

Ulfhednar

Savant
If inXile hadn't called it Torment and constantly compared it to PS:T, then it would be held to a lower standard.

Also true of the Phantom Menace and George Lucas...

You have to live up to your own self-hype, or you lose your top-tier status.

Starwars

Arcane

Nitpick of the day: Planescape: Torment wasn't really as much about the choice and consequence as it was about telling the story of the Nameless One. The story of the Nameless One had priority and C&C was squeezed in wherever it could logically fit. And the C&C wasn't necessarily just about different ways to complete quests as much as it was about trying to react to the environment as your N.O. would. Something as basic as "freedom of choice in how to handle some quests" could be applied to almost any RPG, from Skyrim to Icewind Dale if you just use that phrase without any form of qualifier.

Thanks professor Codex. :lol:

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
From the comments:
T.Pyrdol said:
You have 24 hours on record in a game you consider boring.
The "current year" of arguments in relation to a reviewer's legitemacy. Too few and you didn't play enough to provide an informed opinion. Too many and you must be lying about not having enjoyed the experience.

Your haiku is shit though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
4e06ab070fd8f71ebf3a950786fb456e15cb8842_full.jpg

I should have known.

Gicusan

Educated
Finally got to play the game and finish it this summer and... game is good. More than good. Less than most of us hoped fore but, realistically, it could have been much worse. No idea how it was on launch but now is playable and fun.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What I find especially irritating is broken reactivity. Often tidal dialogue options are just shortcuts that break the normal flow of the conversation. E.g. [Raises Blue Tide] "Your story doesn't add up." -> "Hey, I've already told you ..." No, you haven't. So much for those carefully drawn dialogue trees they boasted about in the KS updates. /sigh

More than good.
Just because it could be worse, doesn't make it good. And it couldn't really be much worse, to be honest.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
In the purely academical interest of determining just how much of a flop the game was, does anyone know how many slacker backers T:ToN ended up having?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Thanks to its more than 90,000 backers
I wonder how many of them are now satisfied customers. Emotionally, playing TToN is much like ending up on a date with a cardboard cutout. Except that with TToN it's slightly harder to explain why you didn't get the real deal and what exactly the real deal would be. But otherwise it's the same. And the more you paid for the dubious privilege, the more likely people will just laugh at your misfortune.

On a broader scale, it's just a side effect of the poisonous business model that is killing the video game industry as a whole: a childish culture of caveat emptor combined with a not at all subtle message that unless enough people pre-order, the game won't be released at all. It turns out that crowdfunding isn't the antidote. Not in its current state, anyway. Kickstarter needs tighter rules. If you don't deliver an enjoyable product you should be punished even if nominally all promised features have been implemented (which is obviously not the case with Tides of Cut Content).

Then again, I've seen many positive reviews - they can't all be written by shills, so at least some people genuinely like this game. I'm not sure how anyone can like a text-based adventure where the journal is basically a walkthrough, but the fact remains.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom