Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
It was small merry band of devotees that kept the reputation of PS:T growing and growing over the years. Eventually someone convinced me to suffer through shite that is Mortuary and it turned out the game is indeed a masterpiece.

Ooo - not having that. The mortuary was an interesting starting point and it takes a while to get out and see the world. In that sense you are stuck in a building for a while.

But looking back, the place was a masterpiece and I really appreciate the attention the developers put into it. I found most other locations in the game pale in comparison.

You meet Morte, Dhall, sexy EV, Peter Sellers, some sickly looking guy, the love of your life, some guy that also turns out to be one of your companions, your first memory, rule of three..

Must I go on?

Never even found out about those squishy blood sucking machines and what they did and why - reminds me a bit about Bene Tleilax from Dune and the sort of machines they could come up with.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I just realized the companions in Numenera are very boring compared to PS:T. It's simply the truth. For someone clearly concerned with diversity, they sure didn't diversify the companion roster at all. Would it hurt to include at least ONE non-human(oid) character?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"The Genocide" is essentially Trump
Yeah, both of them are equally incoherent and delusional. The similarity is dazzling - to the point where the Genocide essentially calls his ultimate defeat fake news (when he speaks of the prophecy).

On a more serious note, I believe the character may be a reference to Diablo. The tale doesn't match but the Black Three do sound like possible references to the Prime Evils. If so, Kalaghat Anvor is Mephisto, Vostuleh Lo is Baal, Ogesti tel Kotu - the Genocide - is Diablo. His eternal imprisonment via a mind-containing device may also be a reference to the Soulstones.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I think the Genocide's character got shifted a little bit in response to the Tabaht Mere I wrote, in which the Tabaht leader is meant to be about as sympathetic a portrayal of a cultural purity type as would be possible.

I don't think the Genocide was meant to be a purely negative character, though -- like any noble-warrior-race type, he has some of that samurai/barbarian sympathizability. And, of course, Colin always really was into the character, so I'm not at all surprised he came through so well. I believe Colin's primary inspiration (or a major one) was the Necron 99 robot in Wizards (as Colin himself said). The character was mostly written long before the current political season.

Re: the Beamdog thing, Fargo is dusting off his macro maker:
george-bush-miss-me-yet.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Where are the parts to fix the clock in circus minor?

How to get Rhin to join the party?

Saduj

Arcane

You don't need to leave the immediate area to fix the clock. There is a puzzle involving three nodes that are located in the green area below the clock. If you hold down the tab key it will be easier to identify them. It isn't much of a puzzle either.

To get Rhin to join the party, you just have to find her in Sagus Cliffs.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
God damn it. I'm going to leave Seagus Cliff for good if nobody answers in 5 minutes and fuck her. I've been waiting for an answer for half an hour already.

Saduj

Arcane
Do you have three companions already? If so that is why.

IMO, her content is overrated anyway.

Karellen

Arcane
Ah. The problem is that you already have three companions. You have a maximum party size of three in addition to the Last Castoff, and at that point she becomes a party member, so you need to tell one of your party members to leave to have enough room.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar

You don't need parts. The Clock is haunted by three ghosts which will invade your mind after you solve a simple puzzle that even a toddler could figure out.

If your party is full, simply boot one out and she'll join. But whatever you do, don't boot out Erritis; he's the best - even if that isn't really saying much.

Karellen

Arcane
Well, to be precise, you can break one of the three machines related to the puzzle, and once you do, the Circus Minor goes dark, which has various effects in the area. You don't really need to fix the damage, though, but if you want to, you can do so by examining the broken machine to find out what you broke and then find the part you need from another machine in the Circus Minor.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Speaking of which, that "kick the machinery" bit felt so dumb and random. When I read about the possibility of breaking it, I thought it was through incorrect settings, not through such a stupid thing. durr kick the clock castoff cuz we couldnt figure out how to write something better

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Well, to be precise, you can break one of the three machines related to the puzzle, and once you do, the Circus Minor goes dark, which has various effects in the area. You don't really need to fix the damage, though, but if you want to, you can do so by examining the broken machine to find out what you broke and then find the part you need from another machine in the Circus Minor.
That's what I was asking, yes. I ran around the Circus Minor and found the part somewhere, I don't even know where.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I have finished the game and am ready to give my final review.

First half of the game.
No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_Josh-Brolin_Javier-Bardem_9.jpg

Second half of the game.
unimpressed.PNG

Ending.
star-trek-face-palm-picard.jpg

Infinitron You can put my review on the front page if you wish, just remember to credit me. The pictures I just googled but I don't think there's any copyright issues.

Finally, I can go back to the Trump thread where Erritis is president and the Sorrow was defeated with the help of the electoral-resonance chamber-college...

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just finished the game and it was frustrating.

most of the games are ok to meh. there are sparks of brilliance here and there, but in all of the whole it is a pretty mediocre experience. some quests line are enjoyable. from sagus i like the fifth eye bar, then bloom is a great setting. necropolis and miel avest is awful and borefest. inifere and the gate cultist is great. the meres are interesting concept, but meh execution, plus that huge time travel paradox in the end is awful.

overall, as a storyfag game it is ok to mediocre. it could have been more, with more cohesive vision and quality, instead of this imbalance of awfullness and some glint of goodness.

the mechanics and combat is unreedemable tho. no matter how many patches, balancing, you can never save it unless you totally change it to a different game. even pillars of eternity was good after patches, because at its core, it is a decent system that can be expanded more.

the pool system, the combat, the level up mechanics, it is just retarted. i dunno about the numa numa PnP but the core system is alraedy awful and it is unredeemable. the crisis concept is great, but with that kind of core gameplay, it just turn into a mushy moldy pudding.

if only the management was good and the talent have more united visions about the game, it could be a great interactive story game, and i will probably tolerate the gameplay. but in the end fargo is fargo and inexile is ineptile and another potential is wasted being a mediocrity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom