Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/28/torment-tides-of-numenera-review

TORMENT: TIDES OF NUMENERA REVIEW

"The turn-based combat may be a little disappointing, but Torment: Tides of Numenera manages to live up to the legacy of Planescape: Torment by offering a fascinatingly weird and well-written tale. Thanks to a wide variety of options in conversations and the influences of its tidal system, it offers decent opportunities for replay value and a memorable tale each time. This is the rare game that leans almost entirely on its setting and writing for its appeal, and the miraculous thing is that it usually succeeds."

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/28/torment-tides-of-numenera-review

TORMENT: TIDES OF NUMENERA REVIEW

"The turn-based combat may be a little disappointing, but Torment: Tides of Numenera manages to live up to the legacy of Planescape: Torment by offering a fascinatingly weird and well-written tale. Thanks to a wide variety of options in conversations and the influences of its tidal system, it offers decent opportunities for replay value and a memorable tale each time. This is the rare game that leans almost entirely on its setting and writing for its appeal, and the miraculous thing is that it usually succeeds."
I love how they mentione "Thanks to ... the influences of its tidal system ...". A tidal system that amounts to... what? Fucking nothing! It does not matter in any discernible or tangible fashion whether you gain Red or Blue from an option, and you have no way to know how an option will affect them anyway, because it's all completely random.

But I guess you can't spell Ignorance without IGN.
>unironically listing turn-based combat as a negative part of the game
I genuinely believe that Tides of Numenera has set back turn-based appeal by years, in that many people will think that the issue here is that it's turn-based, not that the game itself is actually shit.

Hopefully, Divinity: Original Sin 2 will make up for it, but by most indications I'm getting, it's turning out worse than in D:OS. I wonder why so many games have such troubles pinning down good turn-based systems, when there's such great examples of it out there. You'd think that creating a "best of all worlds"-type of turn-based combat would be relatively easy, but apparently not.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It does not matter in any discernible or tangible fashion whether you gain Red or Blue from an option, and you have no way to know how an option will affect them anyway, because it's all completely random

People like to feel important; RPGs have became the genre for people who want to play games without putting in the work. The issue with this is that said feeling of satisfaction will be ephemeral.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It does not matter in any discernible or tangible fashion whether you gain Red or Blue from an option, and you have no way to know how an option will affect them anyway, because it's all completely random

People like to feel important; RPGs have became the genre for people who want to play games without putting in the work. The issue with this is that said feeling of satisfaction will be ephemeral.
I'm now imagining a downie rocking back and forth and clapping their hands every time they get a little ding about how they gained tides, regardless of the colour, and exclaim "I gained points! I got the points!". This is my mental image of the modern gamer.

We need World War 3, now, please.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom