Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

the only people who feel negative about the above are people who have no idea how fucking shitty the pnp numederpa system is

or tards who for some reason actually find the numederpa system enjoyable

He did not say they change the system because it was bad. He said they changed it because it was too unique.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
He did not say they change the system because it was bad. He said they changed it because it was too unique.

because he can obviously just go ahead and say 'yeah the numederpa system actually sucks a lot and we had to make dozens of tweaks for it to work at all in vidya format' knowing for instance how much of a prima donna monte cook is

plz enable 'thinking mode' in ur brian

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The reasoning behind the changes is pure decline.

They didn't say it had to be adapted for a computer game, I don't think Cook would have been hurt in his feeling by that. They simply wanted it to be as safe for everyone as possible. Don't think they really consider it a bad system or gave much thought about its quality as a system. If they did, they should've made it more complex not dumb it down even more.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
George Ziets seems like a pretty candid person (for example, he was the first to open up about the game's cut content). I believe him when he says the health bar and other changes to the Numenera system were made both to make it work better in a video game and to make it more familiar to gamers.

If they did, they should've made it more complex not dumb it down even more.

I think they have made the combat system more complex.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, it's funny how they realized health bars worked better in a video game only after 3 years of development. :roll:

And only after they needed a publisher to even get the game out.

because he can obviously just go ahead and say 'yeah the numederpa system actually sucks a lot and we had to make dozens of tweaks for it to work at all in vidya format' knowing for instance how much of a prima donna monte cook is

plz enable 'thinking mode' in ur brian

You stupid. Please enable hyperbole interpretation part in your brain. He could have diplomatically said:
"Numenera system was designed with pnp in mind and it works well there. But in the context of video game we needed to change it a little. When transferring pnp system to the games there are always some changes, BG did not used all dnd rules as they were in pnp books, there were some changes, and it made the game better. The same goes with TToN"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If they did, they should've made it more complex not dumb it down even more.

nigga they've been trying extra desperately to do exactly that

i'm 100% certain they walked into numederpa not knowing wtf it actually was in practice, and once they realised what they had got themselves into it was too late to go back - and thus came the awkward and haphazard band-aids the likes of health bars

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, it's funny how they realized health bars worked better in a video game only after 3 years of development. :roll:

They realized it after people started playing the game.

I'm sorry, have these people developed games before or is this their first one?
Realizing they needed to do this change only after "people" started playing it means that "to work better in a video game" in this case is the same as "make it more comfortable for the majority of players".

Fairfax

Arcane
I think deep down they never liked the healthless system themselves and then felt like player feedback validated their concerns.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, judging from the beta, is this thing worth buying, waiting months for it to drop in price or not at all? Maybe worth only a demo?

I also have Lords of Xulima on GOG, so that's not a factor.

Last edited:

fobia

I played the beta for a bit, but I have no good answer to that.
I didn't "finish" the beta though, lost interest pretty soon.

Maybe wait for the inevitable codex review? :)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Definitely worth buying. Don't get dissuaded by the drama, most of it is superficial and manufactured by people who were already permanently butthurt upon coming out of the womb. I haven't even seen any serious criticism of the core game, beyond what's coming out of easily triggered gamergators and conspiracy theorists desperately looking for some signs of consolization they can rage about, even in decisions that make sense like the health bars.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, judging from the beta, is this thing worth buying, waiting months for it to drop in price or not at all? Maybe worth only a demo?

I played the beta for a bit some time ago. Not expecting it to be as good as PS:T or even MotB from the storyfaggot perspective (not sure about combat, as I only really got myself into one fight and it was bugged), but it still seems like it will be a good game. Probably worth a buy imo.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

i would recommend waiting for a sale

a big sale

Don't get dissuaded by the drama

This is however an important point - the game is plenty shit by itself, and focusing on the drama detracts from its actual terrible state.

Moth

Learned
Are any of the novellas worth checking out?

I've heard the most recent one is "interesting" and I know jack shit about the others, save a few gripes about how short one of them was. I'm still patiently waiting for the McComb one, which I'm not expecting to be blown away by, but should be worth my low-tier donation at the least.

does anyone know what the cursor when exiting a map shows? It's something like a cyan blow through a pink circle. I think it's one of the ugliest icons I have ever seen. I just don't get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom