Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Torment: Tides of Numenera story trailer:

This is simply amazing! Can't wait to play it.

This part was funny:
"The Changing God awakened an ancient creature, known as the Sorrow. This grim guardian of balance..."
:littlemissfun:

You got me thinking... Sorrow... Sawyer... Saryew... There's something in it for sure.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The trailer is cool, not exactly "AWESOME", but the thing I really liked is the concept behind the player character.

2house2fly

Magister
I'm annoyed by them spewing out the whole plot in the trailer, but clearly it's what players prefer- look at the pitch for Pillars Of Eternity 2, "a big evil baddie wrecked your castle, you know he's a baddie because he beat you up, go chase him in your pirate ship". Can't blame them for chasing sales, hopefully the side content is entertaining.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't touched the beta in ages, but I am almost certain that they told you about most of this in the first 30 minutes of the game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Just so you guys know, no response from inXile in regards to refunds and no reponses on twitter from inXile or sea. Should I start tweeting Fargo?

I sent a quite stern email earlier today demanding my money and have just received a reply and paypal confirmation of the transfer

so if you don't get anything soon try sounding like an aggressive dickhead in your next attempt

As someone that always tries to be courteous in all my dealings, it frustrates me that shit like this works. Threaten everything up to (but not including) violence and shit suddenly works.

Unless it's the government, because then it's the other way around. Piss off the wrong fairy there and everything grinds to a halt. Forever.

From that trailer, looks like they doubled-down on the exposition. I hope there's a lot of story left to discover.

Well, given that they basically spoon-feed you half the plot in the first real dialogue in the game, and then give you the rest within 30 minutes, it's a real good question where the story is going to go, or if it's just another Baldur's Gate II where you just chase something you stopped caring about twenty hours ago and then you're oh-what-a-twist-wounded in some soul-related event that just forces you to go on and hunt down your arch-nemesis for reasons that are now clear, either because he's evul or because you need to to - gasp - survive. Cue dramatic chipmunk.

The narrative pacing in the Tides of Numenera beta is all kinds of fucked up. Instant lore-dumps and all the graceful exposition a mallet to the face could possibly muster. What a time to be alive.

And with so many narrative-mechanical aspects butchered and left for dead, the story better be good, because being an amazing interactive novel is probably the only thing that can save this wreck by now. It's sure as hell not going to be character options or CNPC interactions.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm annoyed by them spewing out the whole plot in the trailer, but clearly it's what players prefer- look at the pitch for Pillars Of Eternity 2, "a big evil baddie wrecked your castle, you know he's a baddie because he beat you up, go chase him in your pirate ship". Can't blame them for chasing sales, hopefully the side content is entertaining.
While I liked this trailer, I regret that it spoonfed the basic premise to us. Although I'm sure the main plot will be much more elaborate, it would have been cool to discover the story of this trailer in the game.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
https://af.gog.com/news/twitch_alert_watch_colin_mccomb_play_planescape_torment?as=1649904300

TWITCH ALERT: WATCH COLIN MCCOMB PLAY PLANESCAPE: TORMENT AND TALK ABOUT TIDES OF NUMENERA

Well this was quite interesting. Probably stuff you already knew, but Colin revealed some background on PS:T development. Like who made which character, who wrote the sensorium stones and so on.

Sadly I missed it and had to watch the twich videos, so I couldn't make some decent questions. The people on the twitch chat were all hurr durr can we import planescape torment savegames in numenera, so yeah. Looking forward for the next streaming.

Last edited by a moderator:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I am totally virgin to the plot; the trailer is awesome but I am bit mixed on the story spoiler hmmm...

So far it reminds me of a mix between legacy of kain vampires AND stargate's Ra (the 1994 movie)?

What are the chances you are the changing god itself?
:hmmm:

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am totally virgin to the plot; the trailer is awesome but I am bit mixed on the story spoiler hmmm...

So far it reminds me of a mix between legacy of kain vampires AND stargate's Ra (the 1994 movie)?

You'll be some sort of special snowflake. More than just a castoff. That's my personal guess.

Sad He-Man

Educated

You'll be some sort of special snowflake. More than just a castoff. That's my personal guess.

Well, in the trailer it is said that "each new vessel is healthier, stronger and more resilient".

So the PC is the strongest incarnation, excluding current changing god.

so yeah...

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The background to the silence in the trailer as a creature of balance is literally more than we get to know about him in the entire beta. I feel spoiled after watching that, I really liked the whole "wtf is this thing what is its origin" angle, and now it just feels like a generic deus ex machina in the making, not a really fleshed out villian/thing.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So wait... I thought that becoming/retaining conscious after being used as a vessel was what made the player character special.
Also I thought that this Changing God (lamest nickname ever) chose average joes as vessels that were left empty after discarded.
Mentioning The Sorrow in the game intro... all of this, lamest shit ever

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
What can changing god the nature of man?!?!?

Btw, is that "1 billion years in the future" ok lorewise? Is there an explanation (in the Numenera setting) on why humans haven't changed in such a long time?

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fargo said he will make sure someone replies to my email. We will see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What can changing god the nature of man?!?!?

Btw, is that "1 billion years in the future" ok lorewise? Is there an explanation (in the Numenera setting) on why humans haven't changed in such a long time?

They haven't been around for that entire time. In the setting, humans mysteriously reappeared in the world only a few thousand years ago.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
https://af.gog.com/news/twitch_alert_watch_colin_mccomb_play_planescape_torment?as=1649904300

TWITCH ALERT: WATCH COLIN MCCOMB PLAY PLANESCAPE: TORMENT AND TALK ABOUT TIDES OF NUMENERA

Well this was quite interesting. Probably stuff you already knew, but Colin revealed some background on PS:T development. Like who made which character, who wrote the sensorium stones and so on.

Sadly I missed it and had to watch the twich videos, so I couldn't make some decent questions. The people on the twitch chat were all hurr durr can we import planescape torment savegames in numenera, so yeah. Looking forward for the next streaming.

Just watched this too. Pretty interesting.

But for a codexian thing... Colin obviously just had to mention the nakedness of women in the game and how he fought against it but was overruled because of the target audience of the game. You know, as opposed to what they do now where they don't do anything for their target audience.
And really, Colin, we know you're a stalwart defender of the oppressed, but the nakedness was essentially part of the Planescape tone. Perhaps you should've taken that to David Cook or Tony DiTerlizzi or whoever came up with the art direction, because the source books are chock-full of barely clothed people, not only women.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought there might be a Kickstarter update too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom