Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Who was Riastrad?
Since he's confirmed to be gone:

Riastrad was a castoff that was basically liquid metal armour, with a female ghost companion called Satsada.
This was from the quest in which you were supposed to recruit him, I believe:

Inquire after Riastrad in the Cliff's Edge district.
Help Riastrad and Satsada escape from the Memovira's thugs.
Casmeen and Mimeon told you that they don't know how to fix the resonance chamber, but they know it was built by a castoff. One of the two castoffs known to be in the city, a glaive named Riastrad, might be able to lead you to the chamber's builder.
The only direction Casmeen and Mimeon could give in finding Riastrad was that he's been known to hang around in the Cliff's Edge district.
Riastrad was seized by followers of a crime boss called the Memovira, and he's now in a fortified house in Cliff's Edge. If you want to speak to him, you'll have to find a way inside.
Having gained entrance to the House Where Secrets Die, you must free Riastrad and facilitate his and Satsada's escape.
You rescued Riastrad and Satsada from the House Where Secrets Die, and in gratitude shared what information they had. The resonance chamber was built by a man named Mazzof, and he can most likely be found in Miel Avest, a secret compound where castoffs gather.
When you finally found Riastrad, both he and his ghostly companion were raving mad, and needed to be put down. Whatever knowledge of the resonance chamber's builder they might have had, died with them.
You spoke to Satsada, the ghostly companion of Riastrad, and convinced her to reveal the information you needed. The resonance chamber was built by a castoff named Mazzof, and the most likely place to find him is Miel Avest, a secret compound where castoffs gather.
You left Sagus Cliffs for the Valley of Dead Heroes without attempting to find Riastrad.
Riastrad apparently keeps company with a woman - or perhaps a ghost - called Satsada, who never leaves his side.
Riastrad and his companion, Satsada, appear to have lost their minds and are now trying to kill everyone in the House.

Other mentions:

"I knew Riastrad. Glaive, covered in living metal armor. He had some underworld connections. It didn't end well for him. Last I heard, he scrambled his brain trying to change his past with dodgy numenera. For the rest of the castoffs - no. I keep to myself. And I'll thank you to keep my existence a secret."

If the player was forced to kill Riastrad and Satsada in the House Where Secrets Die and Riastrad is in the bar now, Dhama should say that Riastrad's ghostly companion is dead, and he is nothing but an empty shell now.

"Do you know a glaive named Riastrad? A big man wearing armor that flows and changes? Walks like he's asleep?"

Satsada's voice whispers from Riastrad. "Look here, if you please. One must trace a pattern across these glyphs. Witness."

"Some of us... our brother Riastrad, for instance... were better than the rest, and those better castoffs suffer. So listen up: every one of us spreads pain like a growing cancer. We all use each other for our own ends, and someone always gets broken at the end of it."

(Matkina) "I thought you were going to help Riastrad. I don't want to threaten, but I will: He's one of the good ones, and I say that of precious few people."
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

They cut another cool character

:decline:

and what is this shit about the team being smaller then Obisidian or Larian? Why use a small team and fuck everything up? It sure as hell they didn't mention that on Kickstarter when they got the money....really hope the game won't turn up a joke.

Fairfax

Arcane
and what is this shit about the team being smaller then Obisidian or Larian? Why use a small team and fuck everything up? It sure as hell they didn't mention that on Kickstarter when they got the money....really hope the game won't turn up a joke.
The team is not smaller than PoE's was, though the studio certainly is. It doesn't matter, though. That's an excuse for taking 2 weeks to answer a very simple question. At first it was just the Codex, so they didn't care. Then it was posted in their own forums, then reddit, then tweets, and suddenly they couldn't pretend they didn't see it for too long. Surely they had to talk to both Fargo and the publisher before saying anything, and figure out how to spin it.
The worst part is that even though they admitted it, the vast majority of the 95,000 backers have no idea. Even the Codex has backers that don't check this thread and don't know about the cut content and the italian localization thing.

Speaking of which: Infinitron, now that they've replied, this is actual news. Don't see why it couldn't be on the front page, specially considering how relevant it is to backers. If it gets enough exposure, InXile will have no choice but to do an actual KS update and let people know what's going on.

Fry

Arcane
I wonder what they'll say if people who've used their keys for the backer beta start asking for refunds. :cool:

Fairfax

Arcane
I wonder what they'll say if people who've used their keys for the backer beta start asking for refunds. :cool:
That's my case. They offered a partial refund where they downgrade the pledge to the most basic one and you keep the game, or a full refund and they revoke it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hrm... bloody shame about OOM and Riastrad. And us being stuck with humanoids, against PST tradition.

Still, despite this, the dumbed down systems (okay, so it's a dumb system as PnP also... then maybe they shouldn't have used it) and the W2 experience, I will be playing this.
Not many games like that.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is getting uglier day by day.
We found they cut companions and streamlined Oasis thanks to leaked achivements. Who knows what more they cut?
We are going to get many suprises with the release methinks. I just hope (Lol) we get a decent enough RPG.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If they now say it takes about 50 hours to complete, then it'll take about 30-35 hours, they always exaggerate length of the game when they promote rpgs.

Deleted Member 16721

If they now say it takes about 50 hours to complete, then it'll take about 30-35 hours, they always exaggerate length of the game when they promote rpgs.

Even at 35-50 that's more than I thought would be there, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I also take longer to finish RPGs than most so it will probably be even longer for me.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Silly thing to discuss in a game where the player will be spending most of his time reading. Tell me how fast you read and I'll tell you how long the game will be.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eh, back when they started production we all thought it was going to be 25-30 hours but packed with reactivity. So 40-50h is significant improvement compared to what I expected.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I actually prefer rpgs to be on the shorter side of the scale, with less trash and not demanding such a huge time investment.

The problem is when rpgs are short and still full of bad trashy content, like tyranny.

The early access of torment is short and the content is very condensed, but it's mostly enjoyable.

Deleted Member 16721

I actually prefer rpgs to be on the shorter side of the scale, with less trash and not demanding such a huge time investment.

Boo this man! :D

Just kidding. But I don't really understand the whole "trash mob", "filler content", etc., complaints I see. To me, a lot of the fun of RPGs *is* the grind to power, i.e. start as a villager with a shovel and eventually become a demi-God in the Hall of Heroes. If they remove all the content that has you exercising your power, developing your characters and generally playing the game until the next big story event hits, what is left then? Probably a 10 hour game with very minimal gameplay. That may be fun for some but give me the epic, huge RPGs any day. :D

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Boo this man! :D

Just kidding. But I don't really understand the whole "trash mob", "filler content", etc., complaints I see. To me, a lot of the fun of RPGs *is* the grind to power, i.e. start as a villager with a shovel and eventually become a demi-God in the Hall of Heroes. If they remove all the content that has you exercising your power, developing your characters and generally playing the game until the next big story event hits, what is left then? Probably a 10 hour game with very minimal gameplay. That may be fun for some but give me the epic, huge RPGs any day. :D

You misunderstood, i dont mean trash as in trash mobs, but as bad filler content without much thought or effort put into it.

I enjoy fighting enemies that are not part of a quest, but for that you need well designed encounters, a skill that is sorely lacking in most rpg developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom