Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fry

Arcane
Been awhile since I looked at the core book, but that's my recollection.

As has been said many times ITT... it's a system designed to maximize role playing, not for people who like tactics and dice rolls. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So character building and stat checks are meaningless. Well done, men. :roll:

If you abuse the rest system, I guess so? But we're not going to get into the Sawyeristic balance against resting and saving/reloading, right?
And, supposedly, some things happen while you sleep and for example you might fail quests... or the might change. I'm not sure how developed this is, I only had to rest once so far, but one of the quests I had active seems to have changed.

And of course stats matter, it says right there that your stats give you your base chance which you can then modify if you have points left.
There's literally no difference between that and, I don't know, say, AoD's "durrrrrrrr do u have enough strength???? no, then you die looooooooooool".

Of course, it looks like if you get the right party composition you can pass most of the checks easily, but eh it's a basic system.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This game is comparable to Mass Effect. It gives you the same vibes as you play it. If you like Mass Effect series then you must buy this game too. Both are equally perfect.

Yes, yes, taint it all! Go for it, InXile! You need to ruin the tradition completely. Let's make one of our favorite cRPGs be associated with popamole garbage forever. Leave no stone unturned.

it's a system designed to maximize role playing, not for people who like tactics and dice rolls.

I’m sure you understand that in order for a role-playing system to be fulfilling your choices need to be genuine, and that they can only be genuine if they are actually restricted by your stats and skills, instead of being determined by any sudden flight of fancy you may have. Otherwise, the character building it’s just a travesty because you can role-play whatever the fuck you want, anytime you want.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
What’s interesting is how Tides of Numenera resolves skill checks. Rather than simply comparing your stats to a number and giving you a Yes/No answer, Tides of Numeneralets you “spend” your stats to get a better result. For instance: You’re trying to convince two groups from opposing factions to leave each other alone. You use a Might check, and your base stats give you a 40 percent chance of succeeding. Well, you have 8 points in Might, so you can spend 3 of them to raise that chance up to say 85 percent—a much better chance. Those spent points aren’t gone forever. They return when you rest, which—like any other Infinity Engine-inspired RPG—suggests that you can abuse the rest system.

So character building and stat checks are meaningless. Well done, men. :roll:

edit: and it's stat check you fucking retarded, stat check, not skill check. do your job your waste of air.

You have limited rests.

Fry

Arcane
I’m sure you understand that in order for a role-playing system to be fulfilling your choices need to be genuine, and that they can only be genuine if they are actually restricted by your stats and skills, instead of being determined by any sudden flight of fancy you may have. Otherwise, the character building it’s just a travesty because you can role-play whatever the fuck you want, anytime you want.

I'm not saying I like the system, chief. I'm just telling you how it is.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
...but does the game have a soul? What the reviews are saying 'bout that?

Also I have inside information that The Toy companion (the ball of goo) is the only veritable nowadays human changed by evolution 1 billion years in the future. All the other humanoid schmucks are clones made by a nostalgic God called Elon Musk :)

Also the "Have The Toy and Riastrad companions been cut from the game?" thread is back to the non spoiler section of the forum.
WTF?

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
You warned me? :lol:

ziFuylZ.png

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamer.com/three-bizarre-sci-fi-tales-from-torment-tides-of-numenera/

Three bizarre sci-fi tales from Torment: Tides of Numenera
In our hands-on with a new section of Torment, we encounter wet mouth portals, mutant orb friends, and a deadly jar of wind.

I wonder if this massive interdimensional tentacle monster-city can feel my feet on its, um, parts, and if it tickles or stings or if the trampling of so many human and mutant and whatever other forlorn lifeforms’ feet have made The Bloom bruised and numb by now.

In Torment: Tides of Numenera, the spiritual CRPG successor to Planescape: Torment, it doesn’t take long for my surprise to morph into hunger. I have my arms wide open, ready for whatever the hell the Numenera roleplaying universe allows, which is apparently just about anything.

Based on two hours from a preview event after being plopped into the middle of the story, I was disoriented and without a stake in the overarching plot and characters, but more absorbed in it than any game narrative in recent memory. So in place of breaking down the combat systems of a game you can already play in Early Access, here are a few snippets of story and moral strain from my short session.

A very large and important and wet mouth
Torment is a buckwild anthology of anything-goes sci-fi and fantasy storytelling. You’re the Last Castoff, who is basically a wandering wizard’s dirty sock, a consciousness born into the old body of a “changing god.” They change often, I suppose. You’re being chased by a bounty hunter demigod called The Sorrow, and by escaping through a portal, the Last Castoff ends up in The Bloom. Take a breath, it’s going to be OK.

Over time—however time passes when you’re suspended between dimensions—The Bloom became home to a genuine city, replete with a market, ghettos, and a problematic civic governance. It’s basically America, except with a moist ambiance and tentacles are as commonplace as coffee shops. Just as I take the train to work every morning, the residents of The Bloom pop back and forth in time and space via gaping maws. They’re literally big, wet squid mouths that pop up wherever The Bloom chooses.

Instead of a metrocard, they require a more substantial offering to open up. Each maw feeds on specific kinds of people. It won’t necessarily eat them whole—it can and just might—but a treasured memory, the ability to feel pain, or even just a finger are all up for grabs. It’s impossible to know until its slimy tendrils close down on you. I’ll have to use one to escape, but it won’t be easy.

You’re meant to make friends and feed them to a moist hole.

I head north and into the remnants of a crashed ship. The ship AI lights up and asks me who I am and why I’m there. With a bit of charm, I calm the AI and listen to its story. Advanced enough to feel guilt, the ship AI felt responsible for killing its crew, so it replicated them digitally as a means of tricking them or whatever was left of their collective consciousness, into eternal life. After some skill-check persuasions, I convince the ship AI to let me take the AI replications of its doomed crew with me. I’ll find them a more reliable source of power, sure. I download them, assimilate them into my cyberpunk brain fittings, and the ship AI shuts down for good. I feel clever and terrible all at once.

Earlier, I rescued a psychic from slavery and she tipped me off that one of the maws was hungry for guilt. Fry some up in coconut oil, a bit of rosemary—delicious. With the ship AI’s embodiment of guilt embedded in my mind, I offer myself to the maw. It sniffs out the data (along with a bit of HP) and teleports me to a space station orbiting a planet somewhere and somewhen far, far away.

Within five minutes, a quest invoked the ethics of murder and what constitutes life. The Bloom is jam packed with these micro morality plays, ripping through them before your conscience has time to react. It might be one of the most intriguing and insidious zones I’ve played in an RPG. In order to find the right person to open a maw, you need to practice empathy, examining the habits and personalities of every character you encounter. But they’re all just a means to an end, a quick snack for the maw and your ticket out of there. You’re meant to make friends and feed them to a moist hole. I'm happy to do it though, especially for my new mutant orb friend.

Mutant orb friendship tips
Little Nihliesh is a ghetto in The Bloom where the forlorn members of a mutant species have made a ramshackle imitation of their home planet. They’re a misunderstood bunch, stepped on and exploited often by the residing Bloom military forces, and it’s during one such scuffle that I befriend both sides.

Two groups, one of mutants and the other of Bloom soldiers, stand across from one another and shout accusations. They’re about to fight, and it wasn’t “Crisis Initiated” in fanciful letters splashing onto the screen that tipped me off.

It plays out like a typical RPG battle with each unit, including my own, taking turns to move and act. But unlike the latest bunch of CRPGS (Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2), I have the option to talk instead of stab. With every turn, I divide my party and practice diplomacy. After asking some questions (and bribing the mutants with money), I’m able to talk down both parties and carry on through Little Nihilesh. It’s there I meet the leader of the local mutants, a prince in exile stuck inside a giant metallic orb.

Gar-Koto and I become buddies, of sorts. He's curious to know what I saw beyond the maw, and I tell him it wasn't his home planet. Continued exile isn't the worst that could happen, he reasons, and Koto is far more pleased that I discouraged his people from violence and shed light on their humanity in the presence of the Bloom soldiers than anything. Koto takes a shine to me. The feeling is mutual. He may be the implication of a living thing, floating around somewhere in that sphere, but shapes need love too. Finally, an RPG that doesn't force you to punch or stab to connect.

A jail bust and deadly gust
After our painful goodbyes, I start the search for the standard of a downtrodden platoon I met earlier. The Murdens, a disheveled race of bird humanoids stole it from them. They’ve made a home in the tunnels of The Bloom, where they’ve been known to hoard stolen nicknacks for some time now. Besides their reputation for thievery, they’re also known for a general distrust of humans. Convenient. I’ll probably have to fight them, because subterranean dungeons need bad guys to bag, right?

In Torment, not so much. I use some charm and a lucky skill check to talk them down. With free reign, I wander their tunnels, peeking in on prisoners and offering myself to a tiny, mobile maw who teleports me to the Murden treasure room. I take everything, of course.

As I try to make my getaway, I notice a cell I’d blown by earlier. The door is unlocked so I wander in and chat with the prisoner. Her name is Skoura the Faceless, and she won’t quit going on about this damn jar. It’s full of Iron Wind, a powerful reality-shaping nanite. I don’t know this, because I don’t pay attention, exactly. The Murdens are on my ass (and my demo time is running out). Skoura warns me against opening it, which is good advice, but given the offer to open anything someone doesn’t think I should open, I have to, you know? It’ll probably make me powerful, or I can flip it up top for cash later. So I open it and the nanites consume me. I’m dead.

The developers running the event were surprised I found one of the few ways you can perish outside of combat in the preview build. It’s very on brand for me to do the very dangerous and stupid thing in spite of a flood of warnings. They reassure me though, saying death is sometimes the best option in Torment, and not necessarily the end. Good. The more a roleplaying game doesn’t feel built around shunting the hero through the typical journey, the better. I want the option to play a weak, fickle coward or a brash, foolish grunt and Tides of Numenera might just let me.

I don’t know what such choices will mean in the long term, and I’m not sure I actually care. The writing is clear and outlandish enough to feel natural to the blank slate character of the Last Castoff, giving emotional texture to a fictional universe without a bottom. Whether the overarching narrative builds and releases in a satisfying way remains to be seen, but as a dense series of disgusting, surreal, and morally twisted short stories that I can play as the hero or a nobody, Torment is trending towards excellent.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
It's also funny because 17 hours ago, Adam Heine quoted in a tweet one of Infinitron's posts on the inXile forums with link to some reviews.

So he's active on forums but refuses to commnet about The Toy or respond on twitter

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Don't you guys think that maybe this election and Trump stuff affected the way Inxile SJWs developers feel about the Codex?

:philosoraptor:

no. the shit hit the fan far way back than Trump.
does Colin McComb even has an account here anymore? wasn't it ccomb or something like that?

someone should quote his last 3 posts on this forum

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom