Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
The writing looks great if you have a fetish for figurative language. hhhng metaphors

Ah, I only read the main part of the sentences, the quoted part of the dialogue and one or two adjectives to get a sense of the atmosphere/feel then I blast through. It's much faster this way. There's too much description, long-winded and book-like. But I just go past it because it adds little compared to the effort of reading all lmao one million words

I'm very experienced in fast reading from reading thousands of reports/studies in my life, not sure everyone has a comparable ability. Good luck

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
The bonus of not reading everything is that it helps LARPing as a brain-fogged amnesiac and I might even miss something important and either DIE in the game, which I otherwise wouldn't (this is not AoD), or that I might not understand WTF is going on, which fits the setting.

Best Deal!

acer palmatum

Scholar
Also, am I the only one who finds this guy:

E65VPBT.png

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangerously similar to Paul Atreides?

Could also be a white walker with fig and fake mustache. Who knows?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fuck that, unless it allows you to specify the size of the tits, appearance customization would be as useless as it was in W2.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Actually you have a lot going on right from the start. The portrait of the PC is thankfully white, which helps me connect with him (the 3D model is brown for some reason).

NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN, FARGO YOU PIECE OF SHIET.

Q9zKycY.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All this time I never noticed that her robot arm is on the wrong side.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
After all of the rivers of tears spilled in this thread the sad part is - it will go the same as Fallout 4, a lot of bitching and moaning and slinging of feces until release day, when there will be little traffic on ye olde codex since everyone and their granny will be playing the game.
But hey this is the Codex :)

Prime Junta

I find it hard to believe that this sort of game introduction is really new to you.

Oh come on.

Tutorial dungeons are as old the hills. They too can be done in different degrees of dumbness.

Take one that's pretty far towards the dumbfuck end of the scale -- the Mass Effect Eden Prime mission. It introduces you to all the mechanics and gameplay elements. The only way it differs from the "real" missions is in that it's shorter, even more linear, and it has tutorial pop-up messages you can disable. It gives you a glimpse of the main antagonist. It communicates that it's scary as fuck. And you get to play space Jesus or renegade in a few unimportant encounters.

Things it doesn't do:

- have an NPC explain to you who the Protheans are, what that artefact is, and why exactly it's so bloody important
- give you a clear look of the main antagonist and have an NPC explain to you that it's named 'Sovereign' and is a machine intelligence from a race of beings called 'Reapers' that wipes out all sentient life every 50,000 years
- have an NPC explain that Because Reasons you're extra-special and the only one who can save the galaxy from the threat of these 'Reapers'

The T:ToN intro does the equivalent of all that, and more. When I'm out of the dungeon, there is no mystery left. I know I'm a Castoff, who are born when an individual called the Changing God moves zir consciousness out of one body and into another, that there is a scary thing called The Sorrow who wants to destroy the Changing God and all castoffs, that it's invaded my mind palace, that I return to that mind palace when I 'die', that I'm really fucking hard to kill, but not impossible, that the key to defeating the Sorrow is to restore the Resonance Chamber, and that to do that my next steps should be contacting the Cult of the Changing God or the Aeon Priests (my choice).

It's all spelled out for me in excruciating detail, and it's listed that way in my journal in case I was so stoned that I didn't notice when the Spectre rubbed my eyeballs in it.

The thing that hooked me from the first instant in PS:T was the mystery: who, and what, is this floating skull, and why is he following me? Did I really tattoo instructions for myself in SCARY CAPS on my back? Who the fuck is Pharod and where do I find him? Where's my journal? How is it that all these people seem to know who I am, and I even left things for myself for later? Etcetera etcetera. It's just a mountain of questions and mysteries and just subtle hints on how I should go about unraveling them.

Also, the Mortuary was one hell of a tutorial dungeon. All they'd have needed to do to 'modernise' something like that would have been to add optional tooltips explaining mechanics where appropriate; how Effort works and so on.

Once more: this is Tumblr: Tides of Numenera, not Torment.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
there is no mystery left.

Yeah, as I said before, unless there's a mindblowing twist somewhere down the line, all this stuff revealed right at the start is plain fucking retarded. Even more so when you consider all their supposed care to not spoil the game before release to then have it spoiled in the tutorial.

It does seem pretty dumbfucked that your state is such a common knowledge, also.

But whatever, it wouldn't surprise me that it is just what it is. After all, you wouldn't want to confuse the players or make them wait or have them discover anything. Instant gratification or you're a failure as a next-gen designer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The T:ToN intro does the equivalent of all that, and more. When I'm out of the dungeon, there is no mystery left. I know I'm a Castoff, who are born when an individual called the Changing God moves zir consciousness out of one body and into another, that there is a scary thing called The Sorrow who wants to destroy the Changing God and all castoffs, that it's invaded my mind palace, that I return to that mind palace when I 'die', that I'm really fucking hard to kill, but not impossible, that the key to defeating the Sorrow is to restore the Resonance Chamber, and that to do that my next steps should be contacting the Cult of the Changing God or the Aeon Priests (my choice).

It's all spelled out for me in excruciating detail, and it's listed that way in my journal in case I was so stoned that I didn't notice when the Spectre rubbed my eyeballs in it.

I haven't played any farther into the game than Roxor has, so I don't know what all that means in context. Given that "mystery" is supposed to be a major theme of the game, my charitable assumption would be that they're giving out that much information because there's so much more yet to learn later on.

But all I know right now is that the way the game starts doesn't particularly shock me. It's in line with other games that I've played. I mean, it's a different kind of thing than PS:T, but it's interesting enough, isn't it? Little text adventures to create your character, exploring your own mind. If you aren't standing with a checklist comparing everything to PS:T, those are pretty cool things. I think my main concern is pacing - it might have felt better to skip the Sorrow encounter and go directly to Aligern and Callistege after creating your character and going through the mirror, regardless of what is revealed there.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Gotta admit i'm shocked at what I already know about plot an all thats been revealed, whereas wi Torment I were fairly much unsure o everythin at beginnin an even at game end: Was the god o portals Aoskar (that Lady slew) an incarnation o Nameless? Do incarnations only lose their memories when Shadows get em, like conversation wi Nordom hints at? Was it original incarnation that taught Ignus? Will Shadows be released when Nameless accepts his punishment at last? Can all branchings o Ravel live wi out Hag who is their black brambled heart? Who or what brought Annah to Alley o Lingering Sighs? When Nameless an Transcendant One merge what remains, is he now a man who *knows* himself? Who the fuck is Cassius an his brother who slays still in Abyss? Why does Nameless/Transcendant awaken at Khin Oin in Grey Waste when it seems he were damned by signin a contract wi Fhjull the Baatezu an should be in Nine Hells? Etc.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh yeah that post-intro convo with Ali and Cali is also 10/10. This is precisely what I needed to start the game: a fucking plot-centric loredump.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The writing looks great if you have a fetish for figurative language. hhhng metaphors

Ah, I only read the main part of the sentences, the quoted part of the dialogue and one or two adjectives to get a sense of the atmosphere/feel then I blast through. It's much faster this way. There's too much description, long-winded and book-like. But I just go past it because it adds little compared to the effort of reading all lmao one million words

I'm not sure you can comment positively on the writing if you skip all the description. That IS part of the writing. My take from your take would be that the writing appears to be overblown and could stand for some severe editing, and that with said editing, it might be quite good.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron

I'm not sure you can comment positively on the writing if you skip all the description. That IS part of the writing. My take from your take would be that the writing appears to be overblown and could stand for some severe editing, and that with said editing, it might be quite good.

Yes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Troll Quiz: What RPG had a famously awkward and railroaded opening sequence that told you what enemy was chasing you and what you had to do to defend yourself, and proceeded to almost win RPGOTY largely on the basis of its mystery-filled storyline?

Rev

Arcane
I'm sure ((someone)) will give it the required neutral-positive review.
Right now, there doesn't seem to be many neutral-positive guys about the game here, though.
In the last pages, the most satisfied comments were from Irenaeus, who was happy with the writing only because he skipped half of it in every conversations (btw, I would totally second his 100% white review :salute:).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Troll Quiz: What RPG had a famously awkward and railroaded opening sequence that told you what enemy was chasing you and what you had to do to defend yourself, and proceeded to almost win RPG GOTY largely on the basis of its storyline?
Role-Playing Game Game of the Year

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom