Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

More BN on the Watch forums:

"many people consider the simultaneous console release a scandal, as whatever time and money was spent on it could have been instead spent to make a better PC game, whether the source of said money was KS contributors or not."

What time and money? We're not Blizzard, we don't have endless resources for our games. The Kickstarter money was already spent on developing the PC game, plus additional resources from our own back catalog (much like we did with WL2). The people working on the console port are paid by funds from Techland, as is any QA we need to do on it. That means that without those console port, those resources wouldn't have suddenly become available for the PC version, they simply would not exist. The added resources in QA and optimization won't really hurt the PC version either.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061416632&postcount=55

Quite an entertaining thread, that.

BTW he's also been active on the inXile forums: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/search.php?author_id=107&sr=posts

but will it be a good game? Or is it going to be a pussy one without doing anything smart because they are afraid it will going to affect sells?

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Parabalus

Arcane
Now I know InXile has sinned, therefore they should be burned at the stake, teabagged, pissed on etc. for this console stuff(+Gamescom) but...

Would it be that unplayable with a controller? I haven't really played consoles since PS1 but I know people play shooters on that stuff.

Torment outside of combat plays basically like Myst - you just move around and click on interactable objects, then you click on dialogue, maybe click an effort slider.
Why would you micro single party members since crises snap you to default positions.
Combat has like 1/10th of the depth of D:OS, which apparently did well on consoles, so why would it be a problem?

Basically mechanics-wise Torment is equivalent to a point and click adventure and I'm pretty sure those are playable with a controller.

Obviously the bigger issue is catering to console players content/design-wise (lol health) which should be met with righteous bolter fire.
Not trying to be an InXile apologist but out of all Kickstarter RPGs Torment seems shallow enough to be bets suited to console imput, obv. narrative is the reason you play it, but that is medium-agnostic.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Now I know InXile has sinned, therefore they should be burned at the stake, teabagged, pissed on etc. for this console stuff(+Gamescom) but...

Would it be that unplayable with a controller? I haven't really played consoles since PS1 but I know people play shooters on that stuff.

Torment outside of combat plays basically like Myst - you just move around and click on interactable objects, then you click on dialogue, maybe click an effort slider.
Why would you micro single party members since crises snap you to default positions.
Combat has like 1/10th of the depth of D:OS, which apparently did well on consoles, so why would it be a problem?

Basically mechanics-wise Torment is equivalent to a point and click adventure and I'm pretty sure those are playable with a controller.

Obviously the bigger issue is catering to console players content/design-wise (lol health) which should be met with righteous bolter fire.
Not trying to be an InXile apologist but out of all Kickstarter RPGs Torment seems shallow enough to be bets suited to console imput, obv. narrative is the reason you play it, but that is medium-agnostic.

While there are genres where controller is superior experience (fighting games, racing games if you don't own a wheel, most of 3D action games with over-the-shoulder camera), for anything that's heavy with menu and inventory management, playing with a controller is like trying to masturbate with a rusty lead pipe.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
people don't like wheels for options because rpgs used to have lists of dialogue options up to 10 options long as last as 2009 in AAA games. Then people realized that you only need three options and it all turned to shit.

Really amazing post, Parabalus.
That is a post, Parabalus.
I agree with you Parabalus. Fuck.
Dick Shepard was pretty cool tho.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamesn.com/torment-tides-of-numenera/torment-tides-of-numenera-kickstarter-gameplay

Torment: Tides of Numenera is the most brilliantly weird RPG you'll ever play

Torment%20Tides%20of%20Numenera%20header.jpg

The world of Torment may well be the most imaginative gaming has ever seen. ‘Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic’ said Arthur C. Clarke, and it’s a law that developers inXile have run with. The Ninth World is neck-deep in ‘magic’, AKA technology from a billion years in the future, and you can tell that the writers have had a riot of a time creating it.

“We didn’t want to go too crazy. We wanted to tell a coherent, cohesive, satisfying story that is about you,” says Colin McComb, creative lead on Tides of Numenera, as he presents his work at Gamescom 2016.

Some examples of the ‘not too crazy’ things you can do in Torment are:

• You can die, reappear in your own mind, and chat with the ghosts of people you’ve met. You can press them for secrets they would never have told you in the real world.
  • You can enter someone’s memories and change their past. When you emerge from that memory, reality will have changed around you.
  • You can sell a companion to a robotic slaver, who will harvest their body for its youth.
  • You can help a giant robot give birth, steal the babies, and use them as explosives.
  • You can feed your friends to a predator the size of a city.
  • You can travel to a world of crystal and light and discover that it’s a supercomputer that killed itself out of desperate loneliness as it circled a dying star in a forgotten corner of the galaxy.

As you can see, Torment isn’t just another RPG. “We didn’t want to do another ‘Hey guys, let’s go save the world from the bad guy’ or ‘Hey guys, let’s go save the princess but she’s in another castle’. It’s just like... ugh!” says McComb. “We want to make this a story about you, about your choices, about the legacy you leave behind. We believe in a reactive, believable world that changes based on what you do.”

Creating that reactive world has seen inXile’s writers embark on authoring a true epic. “We wrote over a million words. To put that in perspective, that’s more than all of the Harry Potter books combined. So, yeah, my fingers are a little tired!” laughs McComb.

‘Really weird human’ is the only race you need
torment%20morality%20system.jpg

So how does the world of Torment differ from classic RPGs? Well, for a start, you won’t be playing as an elf or a dwarf. Everyone in Tides of Numenera is a human, albeit a vision of what humanity might be like after a billion years of evolution.

“We are technically not human. We are a vat-grown clone, into which the changing god has cast his consciousness,” explains McComb. “Your characters are generally human in this game, but they’re weird humans.”

As an example, McComb shows off Aligern, one of Torment’s companion characters. His arms are covered in living tattoos which can be plucked off and thrown at people for offensive or defensive purposes. Yup, these are really weird humans.

The places are weirder than the people
Torment%20Tides%20of%20Numenera%2005.jpg

For the gameplay demo, McComb takes Aligern and the party to a place called The Bloom. “It’s an interdimensional slug beast that reaches through time and space. It’s about the size of a city. People live inside of it,” McComb gleefully reveals. “They travel its veins like roads, they live inside its organs, and they travel the interdimensional pathways to reach new worlds so they can exploit the locals for turning profit.”

As you can imagine the area is, to put it bluntly, pretty damn gross. Sci-fi structures lie half-consumed by the gloopy flesh, and orifices line the ‘walls’. One such orifice is of particular interest to the party; called The Maw, it’s a portal to another world that feeds on guilt. Provide it with enough guilt and it’ll let the party through.

Everything has a history, everyone has a story
Torment%20Tides%20of%20Numenera%2001.jpg

It’s time to get guilt hunting, then. McComb explains that every NPC you can talk to will have stories that could be relevant to your quest. He points out a massive square container jutting out from the Bloom’s flesh. “This is a crashed high-speed container, it’s a kind of train that reaches through space and time. A year ago, the Bloom moved into its path and so the container crashed and everybody aboard died. If we talk to the AI that lived inside there we would learn that it feels really super guilty about letting all its people die.”

He continues to explore the town that’s been built into this giant creature’s innards. “This is Hersia, she’s a terrorist who tried to poison the mutants because she believes in blood purity. She feels a little guilty now, and so she’s trapped in an invisible cage.”

It seems like literally every item, location, and person in Torment has an entire timeline behind them. But sometimes the world requires the right person to unlock its secrets. For example, there are locations that your party may simply shrug their shoulders at, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to see. “If we had a different member in our party we would have learned that this is the place where he was changed forever and turned into the hero we know now. But because he’s not here, we have no idea about that,” says McComb.

Words aren’t always the answer
Torment%20Tides%20of%20Numenera%2002.jpg

Tides of Numenera is clearly an RPG obsessed with its lore and universe, so much so it can resemble an interactive epic novel more than a videogame. But if your play style leans more on the doing rather than the saying, you’re still well catered for.

To demonstrate, McComb decides that he doesn’t want to seek out the guilty in order to open the Maw. Instead he pulls out a trans-dimensional scalpel that one of his characters had handily stashed away earlier in the game. ‘Particularly effective when cutting the flesh of the Bloom’ reads the tool tip. He has a character slice open the Maw - much to another party member’s annoyance - and opens a gateway to another world.

“This is going to have really bad consequences for us later, but right now we’ve opened the pathway to The Lost Anchorage,” says McComb.

Environments are varied like you wouldn't believe
Torment%20Tides%20of%20Numenera%2004.jpg

It’s amazing how different this new area is to the last. Where the Bloom was hideous and horrifying, the other side of the gateway is majestic with steampunk decadence.

“This is the home of the Last Guards, a race of people who have been trapped here on the space station when they were cut off from civilization,” details McComb. “Their religion now is based around their faith that a ship will come and take them back to their home. They have a lot of faith, they’ve been here for hundreds of generations.”

The serenity of the glittering station doesn’t last long before a fight breaks out, which allows McComb to show off the turn-based combat. It’s what you’d expect of this form of classic combat, but naturally there’s a focus on weird abilities rather than simple sword strikes. One party member unleashes mind control on an enemy who proceeds to slaughter his allies, while Aligern summons Balefire, a creature of fire, to fight for him.

And that’s where the demo ends. “I don’t think anybody else is doing anything remotely like this right now,” says McComb. “We’ve scratched just the barest surface of the story we’re trying to tell. We’ve shown you our commitment to choice and consequence, given you a little taste of what our crisis looks like.”

And I believe every word he says. Right now the classic RPG renaissance is in full swing and we’re truly spoilt for choice. But even in a world where we’ll have Tyranny and Divinity: Original Sin 2, I think Torment: Tides of Numenera is standing so much taller as ‘the one to watch’.

Interview: Brian Fargo On Torment, Crowdfunding, The Future Of InXile And The Emotional Appeal Of RPGs

By Adam Smith on September 1st, 2016 at 7:00 pm.

wl.jpg

At Gamescom, after a whirlwind tour of just a few of Torment: Tides of Numenera’s [official site] many worlds, I sat down with inXile CEO Brian Fargo to talk about the past, present and future of his company, and of RPGs. As well as discussing Torment, I wanted to talk about Fargo’s career as a whole, which spans 34 years, and covers the creation of the original Wasteland and Fallout, along with many other games, as well as three enormously successful crowdfunding campaigns in recent times.

He told me that the crowdfunding of Wasteland 2 had felt like “a referendum on [his] history” and that he’d like to explore original ideas once he has rebuilt trust with new versions of Wasteland, Torment and The Bard’s Tale. Mostly, though, we talked about why making RPGs has retained its appeal over all these years, and how the business has changed since the early days of Interplay.

A little context:

Torment: Tides Of Numenera is like the RPG equivalent of a book of short stories that zip from horror to sci-fi to fantasy, and find time to explore all the spaces in between those genres. Actually, given that the game contains more text than the entire Harry Potter series, it’s more like a bookshelf packed with stories than a single book. At Gamescom, writer Colin McComb, a veteran of Planescape Torment, conducted a whistlestop tour through some of the worlds that make up Numenera. Spacecraft were sabotaged, societies were digested, minds were fragmented. It’s a dizzying array of scenarios and stories, and McComb is as enthusiastic a presenter as I’ve ever seen at a games convention. Immediately after that presentation, I spoke to Fargo.

fargo1.jpg

RPS: I came here straight from watching Colin’s presentation. It’s the final day of Gamescom and I’m very tired, but that certainly woke me up.

Fargo: Isn’t he great?

RPS: He has a lot of stories to tell, and so does Torment. When you have a setting in which anything is possible, how do you make sure there’s cohesion? Do you set limits?

Fargo: Not at the beginning. My general philosophy of managing products is to shoot really high. “Let’s go up here and over there!” I don’t like to set the aim low because if it’s too high we can always bring it lower later on, but if you start off setting your target low, you’ll end up low.

I think that’s one of the reasons this game can be really special and really epic is that we didn’t set the bar low. We created all of this content and then we thought about bringing it all together, and making it a cohesive product. That’s one of the reasons it’s taken so long.

RPS: Is one of the ways you bring it together through the player character? Because it’s a roleplaying game rather than just a setting, right? So the character presumably has a central story within all these other stories.

Fargo: In a roleplaying game, all the moving parts have to work together. I think that’s why it’s difficult because you have your attributes, conversations, items, inventory – and you need to make all of those things link up in a meaningful way.

I’ve always considered roleplaying games to be like the decathlon of games. You have to be really really good at a lot of different things to make them work, as opposed to say a straight-up strategy game where you just have to get one single thing right. We have to have a great combat system, character development system, and great writing on top of that.

fargo2.jpg

RPS: In terms of the writing here, Planescape is a very melancholy game, horrific in places, but Tides, from what I’ve seen at least, seems to have a much more mischievous sense of humour about even its most grotesque moments. Would you say that’s true?

Fargo: For me, some of the best wit and comedic moments come from the darkest places. When you introduce that darkness and then explore it, you can find the humour. One of my favourite lines is from Aliens, when they’re waiting for evac and one of the marines says, about Newt, “Why don’t you put her in fucking charge!?”

That was great. The situation is intense but you have this moment of comedy. So I would like to see more moments like that.

But this is primarily the same writing team that did Planescape Torment, so if you like those other moods that are in there, and that kind of vibe, you’re going to feel all of that here. My attitude with this was to dial up the twisted, to make it not like anything people have played before. We call it a spiritual sequel, but that’s only because we’re hitting the same touchpoints – you won’t play this and feel that it’s derivative of Planescape Torment. It has its own feel.

RPS: What I’ve played of the Early Access release feels much more manic than Torment. It doesn’t feel as…heavy?

Fargo: A little more manic, yeah. There’s more of a sense of urgency, because of what’s happening in the narrative.

What I love about roleplaying in general is that I find more than in any other category, we can hit different emotions. In a shooter I can frustrate you or make you feel elated, but there’s not a wide range of emotions. In a good roleplaying game we can make you feel sad, or we can make you feel like an asshole. That, to me, is the beauty of it. And that’s our goal with this.

With a lot of the games I’ve been involved with, there are people still playing ten years or twenty years later. We want to bury in so much content that you can still play it ten years later and find things you haven’t seen before.

fargo3.jpg

RPS: And a lot of that, in this case, is textual content. Lots of text. It always makes me a little sad when a writer has to click through their own dialogue quickly to get through a presentation…

Fargo: Well, having to describe this and present it here is like you saying to me, “Brian, tell me about Game of Thrones in fifteen minutes.” And how do you get that across?

Torment has more content than all of the Star Wars movies combined, so trying to show that off in a timed presentation is not easy. But hopefully you get a good sense of the flavour of it here.

RPS: What are the challenges that you find when making a game like Torment that don’t exist when you’re working on something like Wasteland 2, which is a much more recognisable and cohesive single setting.

Fargo: That’s an interesting question. With Wasteland 2, we’re dealing with real world locations, which limits our ability to go off the deep end, so to speak. Creatively, there’s a similar structure though; when I put these games together, I’m like the conductor in an orchestra, I have experts all playing their instruments, and I point to the them and have them do what they do.

A big part of my job is working out how to make sure all of the different aspects of that orchestra are talking to one another when they need to, and concentrating on their own expertise at other times. Somebody might have an area they they’re working on and I’ll say to them, “this is yours and you can do what you want, but all I need is that this one item is given to the player at some point in that area; I trust you to do whatever else you want to do, but I need that one item”.

The trick is then that you have lots of different writers creating areas in a discrete way, on both Wasteland 2 and Torment, and then we have to bring it together as a cohesive unit. That’s the unknown part of it. People say “why are these games late” – well, there’s so much creativity going on and if you’re going to be innovative, delays are part and parcel of the process sometimes. That’s why I don’t make any excuses about being late, because I just want to do a great project, and I know this is a process that has lot of unknowns to it.

No matter how many years you’ve been in the business, those unknowns exist. And what happens eventually, if you do this correctly, is that you end up with a game that is bigger than anything one human being could craft themselves. I don’t take credit for these games – I’m just a guy who makes sure these geniuses all work and talk together, and have a common goal, whatever the project is, and that’s what I love to do.

fargo4.jpg

RPS: How hard was it to get all of these people back together for Torment. You have Mark Morgan, the guys from TSR…

Fargo: We have Patrick Rothfuss, Chris Avellone…

RPS: Everyone has Chris Avellone.

Fargo: (laughs) Well, it was a bigger deal at that time! You’re right though. You got me on that one.

These guys I know I’m really passionate about this business and that I care about it, and that I want to do stuff for art’s sake, and I want to do things that are pushing the RPG genre forward. I mean that truly; I’m not just some business guy, I love what I’m doing. And they trust me – they know I have their back and that I’m going to do everything I can to make the product right.

We’re a very logical, fair, open organisation, and that’s how I’ve always run my companies, and I think they appreciate that and they gravitate to it. We’ve all worked for bad bosses before and we know what it’s like, so when you give these creative people an environment where they can thrive, then good things will happen. I focus very much on that atmosphere.

RPS: Is being able to offer the word ‘Torment’ a draw in itself though? It’s part of their history, some of them, but also such a huge part of CRPG history, Planescape license or not. There aren’t a lot of games that seem as friendly to writers as a Torment game might be.

Fargo: Yeah, Planescape Torment was a writers’ project, as is this one.

RPS: And that must be attractive to these people?

Fargo: Yes. We can say to them, “you can do what you got into the videogame business to begin with.”

fargo5.jpg

RPS: And you talk about pushing RPGs forward – is putting writers to the fore part of that, do you think?

Fargo: I try not to put square pegs into round holes. There are some writers who are great writers but their design sensibilities aren’t very good, and there are others who get the mentality of a gamer and understand design sensibilities, but their actual writing isn’t as strong. And then there might be one guy whose dialogue is the best but he doesn’t necessarily understand narrative flow. So to have this palette of people, and understanding everyone’s strengths and weaknesses, and getting them to work together as a unit, relies on a lot of communication and instinct.

RPS: Presumably bringing in a great writer who doesn’t understand game design so well, that’s something that person will start to learn while working with the team?

Fargo: Absolutely. Nathan Long is a good example. He had played the games before but he’d never worked on a game before. We brought him on to Wasteland 2, and we had all these guys who understood writing for games, and he was sucking it all up. He was a writer, and a good one, but we saw promise in him as a writer specifically for games, and he’s becoming that now.

RPS: When you look at some of the individual settings the writers are creating within Torment, do you ever think – “that could have been a full game!”

Fargo: Well, yes. But we never have a lack of ideas for what comes next. It’s not like we go, “oh no, we ran out” (laughs).

RPS: So do you already know what the next project is going to be?

Fargo: I already have them super-excited about working on the next thing. Listen, they love this. but they’ve been on it for three and a half years. They’ve been writing it, thinking about it, talking about it. That’s one thing you’ll notice here – we don’t have handlers for you to talk to, you talk to me, to the writers, to the producers. We don’t have PR and marketing in between us, because we are right there on the nub and we love talking about what we do..

But like I said, they can’t wait to move onto something else now. They’re also looking forward to seeing what people make of what they’ve created though.

fargo6.jpg

RPS: I’d like to talk about Early Access a little. When you first released games, they went out onto a disc, into a box, and they were pretty much done. That was it. There was no real opportunity for feedback from players to go back into the game. A thing was released and then it was out in the wild, on its own.

Fargo: Yeah, and it was a surprise to people!

RPS: That’s another aspect to it as well. A few paragraphs and screens in a magazine isn’t the same as constant internet coverage and community forums and the rest. How does all of that change your approach to making and releasing games?

Fargo: Well, I’ll say this – the idea of going back to the way it used to be would scare the heck out of me because I love having that feedback from people. But some people have the misnomer that it’s a democracy and that we’re just going to let people vote on ideas – have a vampire in the game because the crowd wants it! – but it doesn’t really work that way.

There’s a large group of people, I’d say the majority, that still want the surprise. They don’t want to read about it, they don’t want to hear about it. That’s great and those people are all waiting in the wings. But there’s another group of people who are impatient, and they want to contribute as well, and I love that. For me it’s a very simple thing, of taking feedback that we used to get post-ship and moving it to pre-ship.

Specifically with Torment, when we put it into Early Access, there were issues with pacing at the beginning. It was a little too slow, we were giving too much information, that first combat went on too long – which I already agreed with. When you’re managing so many things, sometimes something will bother you a little bit but you have so many things bothering you that you let it slide for a while. The users pick up on it and a lot of the time they’re reminding you of what you already knew.

fargo7.jpg

RPS: The distinction between being reminded of something and being informed about something is important.

Fargo: Absolutely. You also can’t help but lose a little objectivity when you live with something. When I’m playing my products, when they give me a build to play or whatever, I make sure to write everything down because if something bothers me, it might be very small and by the third playthrough it doesn’t bother me anymore. I’ve quickly accepted it. And that does the game a disservice because the people who play it for the first time are going to notice it straight away.

RPS: Like the creaky step that I never fix. I only notice it when a guest steps on it for the first time and winces, but otherwise I don’t even hear it anymore. What has kept your interest in RPGs over all these years? Do you never want to switch to a new genre?

Fargo: I still find them the absolute most fascinating genre, for the reasons I said earlier. I can make you fall in love with an NPC and you could meet someone else later who is tactically far superior, but you’ll hang onto the first guy, because you like him. It makes no logical sense why you wouldn’t swap him out, but you stick with him.

That to me is the essence of an RPG. We can make you make illogical decisions based upon your emotions.

RPS: And are you as interested in RPG systems as you are in character and narrative?

fargo8.jpg

Fargo: I’m more interested in the psychology and the sociology and the narrative aspects that emerge from the systems. For example, it’s not exactly an RPG, but I found DayZ fascinating. As a sociological experiment, that is fascinating.

That’s what I’m most interested in when I look at ways of making people relate to one another, whether those are real or fake people – I find that fascinating. More so than the systems themselves.

RPS: I roleplay in strategy games. I’ll make an illogical choice to preserve the sense of what my nation or my character is. Something like Crusader Kings is a roleplaying game, to a great extent…

Fargo: I remember when I played XCOM – which I loved – I got to the end of a mission and I didn’t want to go back, I wanted to keep going further into the world. I didn’t want to go back to the ship and then go out and see another part of the world, I wanted to go behind the next door and see what was over there, and be part of a single world rather than lots of fragments of a world.

That isn’t a criticism. But parts of XCOM are RPGesque and that makes me want more of the RPG experience from it.

RPS: You should do an XCOM RPG. Traditionally, RPGs are fantasy or sci-fi, but I’d love to see an RPG that explores soap opera elements, romantic comedy, murder mystery. There’s a sort of gaming canon – Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, D&D, Mad Max, Lovecraft – and I’d love to see RPGs reach outside that.

Fargo: One of my goals is to do original stuff. People say you’re doing Torment, Wasteland, Bard’s Tale – but I do want to do original things as well. The fact is, I’m slowly rebuilding my cachet of belief and support. “What have you done for me lately?”, people might say. I can’t just point back to Fallout or Wasteland.

The more we establish InXile’s name, with wonderful products, people will trust us to do something brand new. I think I need recent roleplaying success to be able to build that trust.

fargo9.jpg

RPS: Did you ever expect to be in a position where you could rebuild that trust using Wasteland and Torment?

Fargo: I got the Wasteland name in 2002, and I felt there was an audience that wanted that product. I practically cried when Wasteland 2 got funded, because I knew that not only was it going to allow me to get back doing what I like to do, it was also a referendum on my history. It was like people saying, “Brian, we like what you’ve done and we believe in you and support you”. That was meaningful to me.

That’s why we wanted to over-deliver on Wasteland 2. What I didn’t want was somebody to go, “I got Wasteland 2 and, you know what, he checked all the boxes. He delivered it but it was uninspiring.”

I wanted to over-deliver and I think we did, and I think with Torment we’re going to over-deliver, so that people are proud of supporting us. Look, your name is everything. We want to be proud of that name.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

Torment: Tides Of Numenera will be released next year but is already available in Early Access.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/01/brian-fargo-torment-wasteland-interview/
http://archive.is/2EZPt

So it seems that Rock Paper My Soggy Knee is a T1 site after all. :M

BlackGoat

Arbiter
"In terms of the writing here, Planescape is a very melancholy game, horrific in places, but Tides, from what I’ve seen at least, seems to have a much more mischievous sense of humour about even its most grotesque moments. Would you say that’s true?"

"What I’ve played of the Early Access release feels much more manic than Torment. It doesn’t feel as…heavy?"

Huh, from what I've seen Planescape is way more "mischievous" than Tides. P:T seemed as much about subverting and mocking genre tropes as anything else. Tides, on the other hand, seems to take itself very seriously. I haven't spent a lot of time with the beta, tho. And probably won't before release.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That’s one thing you’ll notice here – we don’t have handlers for you to talk to, you talk to me, to the writers, to the producers. We don’t have PR and marketing in between us, because we are right there on the nub and we love talking about what we do..

Uh-huh.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I’ve always considered roleplaying games to be like the decathlon of games. You have to be really really good at a lot of different things to make them work, as opposed to say a straight-up strategy game where you just have to get one single thing right. We have to have a great combat system, character development system, and great writing on top of that.

What a fucking pile of nonsense.

ushas

Savant

What a fucking pile of nonsense.

Indeed. But that just seems like a PR talk.

By the same, one can say that in a straight-up roleplaying game you just have to get one single thing right.
roleplaying :happytrollboy:

Space Insect

Arcane
:happytrollboy:

You know, tropes are fine if they're written well. A really nicely told story about saving a princess from a dragon could be just fine. Things aren't automatically better if they're weirder, and that seems to be the case. I wonder if these dipshits realize that if the writing isn't up to snuff then the game itself will be hated and forgotten
But saving women is misogny, shitlord!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
That’s one thing you’ll notice here – we don’t have handlers for you to talk to, you talk to me, to the writers, to the producers. We don’t have PR and marketing in between us, because we are right there on the nub and we love talking about what we do..

:kingcomrade:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom