Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think they said it was going to be a 'crisis', so prob a little test of the battle system.

I'm really grateful for the alpha key that Catawampus gave me. If the rest of the alpha is as good as the intro then... yeah, I'm going to take back everything I said about NuTorment (and buy it).

The future is bright.
:incline:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I mean, one billion years in the future.
Get over it. Every futuristic setting is a projection of the past into the future, or even worse, an extrapolation of contemporary trends (torn out of their social, political, economic and scientific context). There's a limit to what can be imagined and even reaching for this limit is usually not practical. In a completely alien world you either have to explain everything (and not everyone wants to play a tedious lecture) or let the player stumble in the dark indefinitely and wonder where their place is in all that weirdness. The latter may be good for atmosphere but is also bad for gameplay. Even if you're making a classic adventure like Myst, bruteforcing unsolvable puzzles based on inhuman logic won't make people happy.

Last edited:

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'd like to know what the toilets are going to be like in a billion years and will we be still using toilet paper.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'd like to know what the toilets are going to be like in a billion years and will we be still using toilet paper.
89xNY.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Get over it. Every futuristic setting is a projection of the past into the future, or even worse, an extrapolation of contemporary trends (torn out of their social, political, economic and scientific context). There's a limit to what can be imagined and even reaching for this limit is usually not practical. In a completely alien world you either have to explain everything (and not everyone wants to play a tedious lecture) or let the player stumble in the dark indefinitely and wonder where their place is in all that weirdness. The latter may be good for atmosphere but is also bad for gameplay. Even if you're making a classic adventure like Myst, bruteforcing unsolvable puzzles based on inhuman logic won't make people happy.
I seem to remember lots of people wanting to play PoE
:hmmm:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope WL2DC is better optimized than TToN :D
I was able to run WL2 on my i5 750.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I hope WL2DC is better optimized than TToN :D
We kinda went over this during WL2 early releases: you can't really compare optimization for an in-development game to optimization of a released title. Optimization is naturally one of the last things you do in a game's production cycle, when all the assets, VFX etc are all in and final. What you're playing if you play the AST is essentially un-optimized and more importantly untested on different hardware/software setups, saying you have an i7 is not really meaningful there. As you've seen for WL2, this changes as development progresses.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
All In-Game Maps (Sorry devs)
Map,
TormentMenu = 0,
HUD,
AR_0001_Kholn_Village,
DebugMenu,
AR_0003_Kholn_Village_Cave01,
ar_c4121_ShrineOfTheGreatChilaInterior,
ar_c4111_VastInterior,
ar_c4131_IoxusShantyInterior,
ar_c4101_MemovirasCourtyard,
ar_c4211_ChiurgeonSlump,
ar_c4301_LittleNihliesh,
ar_c4201_TradePost,
ar_c4601_Ascension,
ar_c4501_MemovirasFortress,
ar_c4401_BloomsHeartExterior,
ar_c4421_BloomsHeartInterior,
ar_c4311_LostAnchorage,
AR_B9111_G1KholnVillage,
AR_X1131_Fathom13,
AR_B9114_G1DesertRoad,
AR_X1511_TheCalm,
ar_c4221_OldSlaveBlock,
blue_crisis,
ar_c4141_DuelingArena,
ar_c4321_CatenaInterior,
ar_c4222_MurdenTreasureTrove,
ar_c4511_MemovirasTower,
ar_c4142_DuelingArenaIoxu,
AR_D5231_JoliosPeak,
AR_D5232_Menagerie,
ar_c4413_ForgottenNiche,
ar_c4412_CorpuscularMawChamber,
ar_c4411_TheGullet,
AR_C4202_TradePostRestored,
ar_a1101_TheBrokenDome,
ar_a1201_ReefOfFallenWorlds,
ar_a2101_CircusMinor,
ar_a2201_CliffsEdge,
ar_a2211_TheFifthEye,
ar_a2301_Underbelly,
ar_a2311_DendraOhurCave,
ar_a2321_CaveOfLastWords,
ar_a2332_BuriedCrossroads,
ar_a2501_Caravanserai,
ar_a2601_GovernmentSquare,
AR_A3201_KholnVillage,
ar_a4611_CouncilTower,
AR_X1011_Fathom1,
ar_x1511_TheCalmBroken,
AR_D5101_JerboaTown,
AR_D5111_MorphlingGrotto,
AR_D5112_AbandonedHovel,
AR_D5121_TheMarina,
AR_D5201_SunkenMarket,
AR_D5211_OMJCenter,
AR_D5212_GiashChamber,
AR_D5221_OblevisReef,
AR_D5131_LostSea,
AR_D5301_MaralelsAsylum,
ar_x1512_TheCalmRestored,
ar_a2331_StichaLair

SniperHF

Arcane
Well, give us a report?

Tried it again, quitting the game managed to fix my issue with the skill checks. You can break the HUD easily by opening the options menu.

It's very much like the first AST but you get a much better look at the environments. They are pretty lively, dancing mysterious objects, tubes with light passing through them, gravity defying droplets that fly upwards.

One of the things that was interesting is when you examine an object in the dialog window you usually get the option of doing so again. Sometimes this actually produces results, sometimes not. Though that obviously incentivizes the behavior of just mashing it twice every time. In one instance I hit "wait for more objects to surface" during an item puzzle and eventually another object surfaced. I'm sure someone more enterprising than I will sit there and mash it a couple hundred times looking for Easter eggs.

You first start off in a room with a bunch of machines. One of them taunts you. You can find a few items in there then head out into the larger map. There's the potential to use at least one of those items out there. Lots more object dialog puzzles then eventually you run into another party which ends the test.

Don't forget to initiate dialog once you leave the small room as their options open up. Your two party members Callistege and Aligern also comment on what the other says sometimes and how you interact with the object puzzles.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Tried it again, quitting the game managed to fix my issue with the skill checks. You can break the HUD easily by opening the options menu.
Ah, yes, that is a known issue, at the bottom of our release notes you'll see some of the known issues in this alpha release.

It was a fun couple of weeks producing this AST. Will keep an eye out and see what y'all think!

Starwars

Arcane
That area looks nice, beautiful work there.

I'm not a fan of the portraits though, not entirely sure why.

SniperHF

Arcane

EDIT: This is now the corrected version with the effort pop ups working.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom