Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
PoE is actually remarkably fast. I was expecting way worse.
Runs way better on my old rig than W2 or DOS (even on low graphic settings).

ArchAngel

Arcane
I though we were going to blame Fargo and Cook for that. Fargo had it coming for making a bit underwhelming sequel to Wasteland 2.
A bit, eh?

What a critique. Thats going to just ruin Fargo and make him reconsider the games they are making you retarded stupid fanboi.

Right, we should just forget Fargo and blame everything on cook. I've just remembered that he is also responsible for fucking-up DnD with his retarded 3rd edition.
Maybe for a few people like you, most people liked 3e more than AD&D. 3e was not perfect but it was much better than AD&D.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I though we were going to blame Fargo and Cook for that. Fargo had it coming for making a bit underwhelming sequel to Wasteland 2.
A bit, eh?

What a critique. Thats going to just ruin Fargo and make him reconsider the games they are making you retarded stupid fanboi.

Right, we should just forget Fargo and blame everything on cook. I've just remembered that he is also responsible for fucking-up DnD with his retarded 3rd edition.
Maybe for a few people like you, most people liked 3e more than AD&D. 3e was not perfect but it was much better than AD&D.

3rd edition is only good for buildwankery. There is a reason why quality settings stopped being released after the 3rd edition rolled in.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
A bit, eh?

3rd edition is only good for buildwankery. There is a reason why quality settings stopped being released after the 3rd edition rolled in.
and the connection between ruleset and settings is...?

AD&D was just dumb. From the "lower is better" inverted logic and weird save/thac0 progressions to incredibly simplistic character advancement. 3rd edition went a bit overboard with multiclassing (I liked AD&D's take more) and prestige classes, but overall it's a much better, more developed system.

A bit, eh?

AD&D was just dumb. From the "lower is better" inverted logic and weird save/thac0 progressions to incredibly simplistic character advancement. 3rd edition went a bit overboard with multiclassing (I liked AD&D's take more) and prestige classes, but overall it's a much better, more developed system.

A player that is just interested in role playing and adventuring could just pick-up a game, roll a character and start playing in ADnD. In 3rd edition a player like that is almost guaranteed to fuck-up his character somehow, either by distributing stats incorrectly, choosing a wrong feat or playing a non-caster class. In addition, if he's playing with an experienced player he will very soon feel useless. Since people who are not interested in build-wankery are not longer welcome to the game there is no reason to release materials for them. Like Planescape for example. Despite trying many times, I was unable to play 3rd edition for a longer period of time in my group, it couldn't even beat Warhammer FRPG which is a mess, but at least not a convoluted mess. ADnD was all-right, all it did wrong was that weird druid progression and racial race limits, and both of these can be safely ignored.

ArchAngel

Arcane
A bit, eh?

A player that is just interested in role playing and adventuring could just pick-up a game, roll a character and start playing in ADnD. In 3rd edition a player like that is almost guaranteed to fuck-up his character somehow, either by distributing stats incorrectly, choosing a wrong feat or playing a non-caster class. In addition, if he's playing with an experienced player he will very soon feel useless. Since people who are not interested in build-wankery are not longer welcome to the game there is no reason to release materials for them. Like Planescape for example. Despite trying many times, I was unable to play 3rd edition for a longer period of time in my group, it couldn't even beat Warhammer FRPG which is a mess, but at least not a convoluted mess. ADnD was all-right, all it did wrong was that weird druid progression and racial race limits, and both of these can be safely ignored.
You can keep talking to walls about this because only they care about a D&D system that has been dead for 20 years now. Your comments are about as useful as complaining how PC 286 is too slow or something.

ArchAngel
Yeah, we should totally stop talking about these oldass DnD, archaic isometric (WHAT THE FUCKKKKK!!!!!!) RPGs and just jam it in Skyrim instead. 4 the players ;-). Who cares about teh nerdy shit.

Bazinga!

ArchAngel
Yeah, we should totally stop talking about these oldass DnD, archaic isometric (WHAT THE FUCKKKKK!!!!!!) RPGs and just jam it in Skyrim instead. 4 the players ;-). Who cares about teh nerdy shit.

Bazinga!
Big difference between IE games and a dead PnP D&D system.

Yeah, the difference is that Monte Cook didn't manage to ruin IE games yet. Probably because Avellone ignored his great contribution to the setting when making Torment.

Avellone ignored his great contribution to the setting when making Torment.

Details on this please!

In and adventure called "Faction War" most factions either cease to exist, are disbanded or are banished from Sigil. The worst part is probably Mercykillers splitting into good and bad factions: Sons of Mercy and Sodkillers which ruined them even more than other factions. It was published 2 years before the Torment, but because it practically ruined Sigil the events of the adventure were ignored in the game.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
We're only missing Pyke now, I guess :(
I believe InXile wanted Pyke to be a part of TToN team, but he's too busy with Stasis.

Its true. I also learned at GDC that there was talk of getting me involved on the Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition.

Teenage Chris hates me right now. The opportunity to work on the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, AND Baldurs Gate...and I couldn't do either.

Although Stasis is pretty cool too I suppose.

hiver

Why would you think working on abomination as BG:EE is a good thing?

-
I mean, just imagine all that time wasted and taken away from your game... and for what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Im just a big Baldurs Gate fan. :D

Although to be honest I don't think that I'm experienced enough to work with either of those teams. One day I would love to work on a big 2D RPG within a team of experienced designers, writers, and programmers - but I still have a LOT to learn!

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
:what:

3rd edition was intended for the dumbfucks generation and it was the beginning of PnP decline. Everyone with an ounce of common sense and any PnP experience absolutely hated 3Ed in 2000. Sure, it predated the the MMO boom but, make no mistake, its target audience was the same - imbecile kids who couldn't grasp the flow of combat unless every action was prepackaged as a skill activation.

AD&D was awesome. Good old days that will never come back...

P.S. It's no coincidence that all 3Ed-based CRPGs were trash. Can't make a good game based on a shitty system.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You known that there is nothing really stopping you from playing ADnD today?
Yeah, we still have a party going (slowly).

My point is: core ADnD wasn't perfect but Player's Option books brought out the best in the system and made it really shine. And then WotC dumped everything good they had managed to create. I'm not sure how things are today (lost interest after a while) so maybe 5E isn't so bad.

ArchAngel

Arcane

3rd edition was intended for the dumbfucks generation and it was the beginning of PnP decline. Everyone with an ounce of common sense and any PnP experience absolutely hated 3Ed in 2000. Sure, it predated the the MMO boom but, make no mistake, its target audience was the same - imbecile kids who couldn't grasp the flow of combat unless every action was prepackaged as a skill activation.

P.S. It's no coincidence that all 3Ed-based CRPGs were trash. Can't make a good game based on a shitty system.
Lol, this shit is so clueless.
3e was a smash hit and spawned multiple versions. Even 5e is mostly based on 3e. And when 4e came into being and raped D&D so many people loved 3e most of them switched to Pathfinder which was based on 3e. I don't remember someone making a AD&D clone to protest vs 3e and that clone beating D&D in sales and popularity.

And why?
Because the shit you are slinging only exists in your head.

Lol, this shit is so clueless.
3e was a smash hit and spawned multiple versions and Pathfinder. Even 5e is mostly based on 3e.

Thanks for reminding me that 3E is also to blame for the creation of the worst fantasy art in history. Pathfinder characters look worse than WoW models.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't care about book art (yes I agree that art was bad), the game is played in minds of players anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom