Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
FFS, stop shitposting in this thread!

:killitwithfire:

Morkar Left

Infinitron Actually it is. I thought they would use the W2 engine as a framework. But I haven't really followed the development.

hiver

No it doesnt, thats really a weird thing to claim. But you are not getting the point... you need to read the previous page. And watch what Harlan Ellison says about "sci-fi".

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
They're using a Turn-based system that they made using the WL2 engine and then cut and paste that into the PE engine.
No, we aren't.

Infinitron Actually it is. I thought they would use the W2 engine as a framework. But I haven't really followed the development.
There's not really any such thing as a "PoE engine" or "WL2 engine", they're both built on Unity (4). Torment is too (Unity 5), using code we licensed from Obsidian (some from Pillars, but I think some, like the dialog system, predates Pillars), as well as our own code. "PoE engine" is just a shorthand, saying it's "built on WL2 engine" or "built on PoE engine" is not really how software development works.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Brother None said:
Torment is too (Unity 5), using a lot of Pillars code we licensed from Obsidian, as well as our own code

This is what I meant. People around here just call them 'engines' even though they aren't. My reference to the cut/paste was the combat research that was being done in the WL2 engine that was talked about during the KS updates before the PE tools/code were licensed.

hiver

One of the biggest mistakes these kickstarters do is going for that overblown "well get you a game in two years!!" bollocks PR. And they do that because they think they have the same audience as usual.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
no means yes, and yes means yes.

Whatever he says, remember that it's not rape if you shout "Surprise!".

Addendum: according to some law-savvy people, you have to shout "Surprise!" BEFOREHAND (apparently this timing detail is very important).

agris

Arcane
Patron
In a T:TON interviews posted by @Infinitron earlier this month, they mention the release date at the end. It's pretty much guaranteed to be 2016.

I want to thank Colin McComb and Thomas Beekers for taking the time to talk to me (especially as this was immediately after they arrived in London and so they were severely jetlagged!) and to the EGX Rezzed team for putting on a cool, relaxed show this year. InXile are targeting late 2015 for Torment: Tides of Numenera, although Colin reminded me to emphasize the word “targeting”, adding “you know how development works”. So with that in mind, Torment: Tides of Numenera will be coming to PC in 2016. Thanks for reading!

Does no one read these things anymore?

Morkar Left

They're using a Turn-based system that they made using the WL2 engine and then cut and paste that into the PE engine.
No, we aren't.

There's not really any such thing as a "PoE engine" or "WL2 engine", they're both built on Unity (4). Torment is too (Unity 5), using code we licensed from Obsidian (some from Pillars, but I think some, like the dialog system, predates Pillars), as well as our own code. "PoE engine" is just a shorthand, saying it's "built on WL2 engine" or "built on PoE engine" is not really how software development works.

Thanks for clarification. I was aware that it is all based on unity. I just thought that you woud use most of your code from W2 in regards that unity can built vastly different kind of games. Which seems what you actually do.
It's cool to hear that the code is actually as interchangeable as that you can license code (modules?) from Obsidian. It's even cooler that trading code between both companies is done which can only benefit the overall quality of this kind of rpgs!

I'm just starting to think about a shared special version of unity for iso rpgs as a framework for different companies to create rpgs more easily...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thanks for clarification. I was aware that it is all based on unity. I just thought that you woud use most of your code from W2 in regards that unity can built vastly different kind of games. Which seems what you actually do.
It's cool to hear that the code is actually as interchangeable as that you can license code (modules?) from Obsidian. It's even cooler that trading code between both companies is done which can only benefit the overall quality of this kind of rpgs!

I'm just starting to think about a shared special version of unity for iso rpgs as a framework for different companies to create rpgs more easily...
Bro welcome to 6 months ago!

It is pretty cool though, eagerly anticipating everyone's second effort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom