Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Caconym

Augur
I haven't really read anything other than Kickstarter updates...
Well then I'm glad that they've managed to include this little but important info nugget in their KS page. :)

hiver

In any event, I get the impression that the Numenera setting is only hard sci-fi when -
Whoa, whoa... whooow! Dont use "Hard Sci-fi" in any relation to this clusterfuck of cheapest sci-fi opera crap, mkay?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Numenera isnt even a proper Science fiction. Let alone hard science fiction.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
In any event, I get the impression that the Numenera setting is only hard sci-fi when it fits the feel Monte Cook is going for. So really, humans could be the same or similar for any reason or even no reason at all, so long as it fits the feel Cook (or the TToN devs) is going for. Probably safest to say the answer is lost to memory and leave it a mystery.
I wouldn't say it's going for a hard sci-fi in any real fashion, but yeah, you're pretty much correct.

Whoa, whoa... whooow! Dont use "Hard Sci-fi" in any relation to this clusterfuck of cheapest sci-fi opera crap, mkay?

Well to be fair I was being playfully facetious when I said "hard sci-fi", meaning that the setting uses plausible scientific explanations to justify itself only when Monte Cook likes the feel those scientific explanations create, but I guess I didn't express it as well as I could.

Numenera isnt even a proper Science fiction. Let alone hard science fiction.

But yeah generally Dying Earth is the opposite of hard sci-fi. Doesn't mean it's not sci-fi. Unless you like to use "science fantasy" instead and/or are offended by an implication there are any parallels between science fiction and fantasy. Which I guess is fine, but I disagree, since I find the explanation of why a universe is unlike our own to be far less important than the themes and ideas addressed. Also I disagree that the "hardness" of sci-fi is at all relevant to its prestige.

Edit: FYI, The prestigiousness of science fiction is actually determined by whether or not it is Dune (original series, not that new shit).

hiver

playfully facetious when I said "hard sci-fi", meaning that the setting uses plausible scientific explanations to justify itself
It does no such thing.

It uses futuristic incoherent fantasy to justify whatever falls onto anyone's head - which is the opposite of Hard Science Fiction.

for fuck sake... look, there is no hardnes of science fiction. It is either hard or it isnt.

HARD SF means it is realistic science and plausible realistic fiction without any fantasy in it.

Science fiction means it is less realistic fiction but still based on atleast some science.

Sci-fi means completely incoherent cheap space opera schlock.

Learn the fucking real meanings of the terms you use before you use them.

Which I guess is fine, but I disagree, since I find the explanation of why a universe is unlike our own to be far less important than the themes and ideas addressed.
What?

Who ever mentioned anything about that? Who is even thinking about that nonsense except you?

hiver

No, its not used only by extreme retards who have no fucking idea what they are talking about and mix everyfuckingthing in order to falsely present their retarded extreme emotional engagement as somehow being "more legit".

Thats why i have to watch cretins using Hard Sf to describe idiotic shit bioware is doing, now its numenera fantasy which is somehow "hard sf" and next the star wars will be hard sf just because someone threw in some retarded science jargon inside.

- its something thats really, really pissing me off.

If we are to take your measure of Dune as a scale for Science Fiction quality - which is correct, btw, - Dune sure as hell is not Hard SF.

then Numenera is a space opera fantasy, or "sci-fi" as the term true meaning is.

There is nothing actually realistically plausible or scientific in Numenera. All it has is a grand general excuse for whatever anyone come up with and it falsely uses scientific terms to hide its just same old "magic" underneath it all.

hey ...nano machines are everywhere!

- you can do anything! even shoot Lightning from you arse! because "nano machines!"

there was some "advanced civilizations" who left their magical technology around!

Arthur Clarke said science is magic dude!

Anything goes!

look! I found this gizmomcguffin that does whatever the fuck i want !

:retarded:

Last edited by a moderator:

hiver

And you keep making posts that have no meaning or sense or any purpose at all except being a waste of electricity.

Caconym

Augur
Science fiction means it is less realistic fiction but still based on atleast some science.

Sci-fi means completely incoherent cheap space opera schlock.

Learn the fucking real meanings of the terms you use before you use them.
'Science fiction' and 'sci-fi' are the exact same thing, only the latter is abbreviated.

But yeah generally Dying Earth is the opposite of hard sci-fi. Doesn't mean it's not sci-fi. Unless you like to use "science fantasy" instead and/or are offended by an implication there are any parallels between science fiction and fantasy.
I like to use science-fantasy, not because I'm offended by implied parallels or anything, but cause it describes the genre better than sci-fi or space opera or etc., and btw my first, defining hard sci-fi was Greg fuckin Egan, so that's obviously out of the question... :lol:

Caconym

Augur
There is nothing actually realistically plausible or scientific in Numenera. All it has is a grand general excuse for whatever anyone come up with and it falsely uses scientific terms to hide its just same old "magic" underneath it all.

hey ...nano machines are everywhere!

- you can do anything! even shoot Lightning from you arse! because "nano machines!"

there was some "advanced civilizations" who left their magical technology around!

Arthur Clarke said science is magic dude!

Anything goes!

look! I found this gizmomcguffin that does whatever the fuck i want !

:retarded:
Roadside Picnic, having virtually the same(ish) premise, is considered one of the classics of science fiction. (Not the hard sort, of course!)

hiver

Science fiction and sci-fi are not the same thing, except the ... general populace dont know the difference so they use it interchangeably. It has been distorted by the casuals :argh::negative:

Roadside Picnic, having virtually the same(ish) premise, is considered one of the classics of science fiction.
yeah, no kidding?

Thats because the premise was not abused to invent "cool shit! and "epic awesume!!". And it never went into absurd territory of "anything and everything can happen!!"

The genres of science fiction are delineated by their internal themes they explore too, not just by amount of "sciency lingo".

Thats hard to grasp, especially for those that want to falsely present their "entertainment" as something better then it is.
Now, what we know about Tides internal themes makes it much closer to proper Science Fiction - but incoherence of the setting that is literally everything and a kitchen sink doesnt follow that and it works against such thematic content.

hiver

What would be funny is that complete shitfaced imbeciles like you cant comprehend that you literally prove every insult i throw your way by every single post you make, if it wasnt so despicably disgusting.

You are a complete and utter cretinous retard. A stupid subhuman scum - and this is just stating the obvious.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What would be funny is that complete shitfaced imbeciles like you cant comprehend that you literally prove every insult i throw your way by every single post you make, if it wasnt so despicably disgusting.

You are a complete and utter cretinous retard. A stupid subhuman scum - and this is just stating the obvious.
Actually it is the other way around. I would not be surprised if you write all your "post" from a mental institute.

hiver

How is it the "other way around" imbecile? You cant explain a single of your idiotic post you despicable stupid shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How is it the "other way around" imbecile? You cant explain a single of your idiotic post you despicable stupid shit.
Focus on mental institute instead. Some reality in your life is needed. When you accept your real life you can start moving on to being a normal human being. Baby steps.

hiver

Focus on mental institute instead. Some reality in your life is needed. When you accept your real life you can start moving on to being a normal human being. Baby steps.
Answer the fucking question you laughable shitbrain, instead of making more idiotic declaratory statements to prove how fucking stupid you are.

'Science fiction' and 'sci-fi' are the exact same thing, only the latter is abbreviated.

I love to post this video whenever someone brings up this subject.

:martini:

Fucking A.

8MH6Uyd.jpg

one extra super brofist for Cyberwhale.

ksaun , CMcC , Adam Heine , G Ziets

for future reference if i rage at any of you for debasement of Science Fiction reasons.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Damn, being hiver must be fucking exhausting, always up in arms, always mad, always hostile. Not that I believe in it, but on hiver meditation an a journey to Tibet might work.

hiver

No, not really, thats just a natural and sensible reaction to stupid shits.

for example:
Damn, being hiver must be fucking exhausting, always up in arms, always mad, always hostile.
I hope it's just his persona for teh internetz. IRL being an edgy kid who never grows up incurs some serious penalties.
You two are obvious cretins with nothing worthy to say about anything at all, so all you are capable of saying is just complaining about something because its just not satisfying your entitlement for entertainment. So you try to forcibly establish some "facts" by just inventing them, like a stupid devolved cretins that you are.

got it?

SophosTheWise

Cipher
No, not really, thats just a natural and sensible reaction to stupid shits.

for example:
Damn, being hiver must be fucking exhausting, always up in arms, always mad, always hostile.
I hope it's just his persona for teh internetz. IRL being an edgy kid who never grows up incurs some serious penalties.
You two are obvious cretins with nothing worthy to say about anything at all, so all you are capable of saying is just complaining about something because its just not satisfying your entitlement for entertainment. So you try to forcibly establish some "facts" by just inventing them, like a stupid devolved cretins that you are.

got it?
:lol:

hiver

If only you had a brain instead of shit in your skull, you would be able to comprehend that you are laughing at yourself and your own stupidity there.

but guess what? that nickname isnt enough.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I apologize to everyone in this thread for saying "hard sci-fi". I should have known better.

Caconym - oh I don't have a problem with using science fantasy to describe works, I agree with you that in many cases it gives a better sense of what the story is. I'm just not a huge fan of dividing works into various rigid, mutually exclusive subgenres and then arguing over, which, exactly is the correct one for any given story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom