Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the implication is that he's now transcended mortality to the point that calling him a "man" is absurd. His physical representation could still be masculine though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In the novella he was a woman. :)

Spoilers schmoiers, it's been out long enough.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Was" at one point, or "was" as in "is" during the time of the game's plot?

In the novella itself.

The Last Castoff can also be a woman.

What I'm saying is that The Changing God is constantly changing genders, so very trans.

hiver

I wonder why are there genders at all.... ONE BILLION YEARS IN THE FUTUUUUUURREEEEE. :makes faces at Fry:

there arent any different human races anymore, its all hybrid brownies. so... how come there are genders?

wouldnt it be better if there wasnt any genders at all?

Its not too late...

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
"Was" at one point, or "was" as in "is" during the time of the game's plot?

In the novella itself.

The Last Castoff can also be a woman.

What I'm saying is that The Changing God is constantly changing genders, so very trans.

IDK, I thought being trans had to involve some kind of sense that one is really a gender which is at odds with one's birth genitals. It sounds like the Changing God is at the point where a male/female conception of gender is irrelevant to zer identity (instead of having the "wrong" gender identity). So maybe saying the Changing God is genderfree or genderfluid is more accurate.

hiver

If i designed a game billion years in the future the player would be just a blob of barely organic matter, blobbing away in a puddle of blobs.

With turn based blobbing.

fuck me blobbing is actually a real word!

A horse of course

6wa5vND.jpg

sser

Arcane
Developer
One billion years in the future we won't even be able to recognize the bodies we currently inhabit. We would be alien to our own ancestors.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The humans in Numenera haven't been around for a billion years continuously. They've mysteriously reappeared only within the last few millenia.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Just letting you guys know about this:
631d2dd8ca.png

It also seems he's quite serious about it as well.
They should try to get Patrick Stewart. That stunt worked for Bethesda and Patrick could easily play a muscle bound retard with the acting chops of a bolder. He is probably cheaper than Diesel too.

Cadmus

Arcane
Just letting you guys know about this:
631d2dd8ca.png

It also seems he's quite serious about it as well.
They should try to get Patrick Stewart. That stunt worked for Bethesda and Patrick could easily play a muscle bound retard with the acting chops of a bolder. He is probably cheaper than Diesel too.
I would really love for the developers to contact said person instead of venting their idiocy into the twitter void for no reason.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The humans in Numenera haven't been around for a billion years continuously. They've mysteriously reappeared only within the last few millenia.
But who can tell how "human" they still are compared to the ones of the past? Some of the past great civilizations that lived on Earth were not human at all (came from space?, created? etc) and it is suggested that they might have um 'mated' with humans(and other species?) producing hybrids, new species whatever. In the ninth world, I assume "human DNA" would be changed/mutated from the DNA of a billion years past to the point that they wouldn't be considered homo sapiens at all, just some X species that resembles us.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would really love for the developers to contact said person instead of venting their idiocy into the twitter void for no reason.

I know that the concept of utilizing social networks may be alien to basement-dwelling autists, but you could at least Google it up. "Does anyone know a guy...?" has worked p. well for the past couple thousand years.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
But who can tell how "human" they still are compared to the ones of the past? Some of the past great civilizations that lived on Earth were not human at all (came from space?, created? etc) and it is suggested that they might have um 'mated' with humans(and other species?) producing hybrids, new species whatever. In the ninth world, I assume "human DNA" would be changed/mutated from the DNA of a billion years past to the point that they wouldn't be considered homo sapiens at all, just some X species that resembles us.

Unless they have "reappeared" not just by re-expanding from some small (or hidden) population but by coming back from extinction. Maybe humans reappeared because crazy ancient supercomputers rebuilt them from their records (such as in the first Viriconium novel). Or maybe they were kept in suspended animation by some collector species of alien. Perhaps some bipedal monsters are actually the "natural" descendents of the humanity of our time (kind of like a reverse dinosaur to bird transition).

In any event, I get the impression that the Numenera setting is only hard sci-fi when it fits the feel Monte Cook is going for. So really, humans could be the same or similar for any reason or even no reason at all, so long as it fits the feel Cook (or the TToN devs) is going for. Probably safest to say the answer is lost to memory and leave it a mystery.

Caconym

Augur
I'm glad to see that at least someone here actually read the book.

Unless they have "reappeared" not just by re-expanding from some small (or hidden) population but by coming back from extinction. Maybe humans reappeared because crazy ancient supercomputers rebuilt them from their records (such as in the first Viriconium novel). Or maybe they were kept in suspended animation by some collector species of alien.
It is heavily implied that this might be the case, yes.

Perhaps some bipedal monsters are actually the "natural" descendents of the humanity of our time (kind of like a reverse dinosaur to bird transition).
Probably not of our times, but the game's lower-level, more mundane and widespread enemies (the orc/goblinoid- and lizardmen-equivalents if you will) are actually called abhumans as a loose group, meaning they're devolved/mutated humans, bioengineered from human DNA or something similar.

In any event, I get the impression that the Numenera setting is only hard sci-fi when it fits the feel Monte Cook is going for. So really, humans could be the same or similar for any reason or even no reason at all, so long as it fits the feel Cook (or the TToN devs) is going for. Probably safest to say the answer is lost to memory and leave it a mystery.
I wouldn't say it's going for a hard sci-fi in any real fashion, but yeah, you're pretty much correct.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I haven't really read anything other than Kickstarter updates...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom