Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aligern:

iXRWabE.jpg

Blackguard

Learned
What Colin has said and this image seem to imply your character will literally live a life from childhood to old age.

sHi9hje.jpg

Was this known already? Haven't really payed too much attention to the story details.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not sure why he brought up the Infinity Engine legacy, when PS:T had just as much DNA from Fallout, if not more so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't really understand that first question. What was the "ludonarrative dissonance" in PS:T?

Just a hipstery way of saying "there was too much bad combat in this game about conversations".

(it's not actually ludonarrative dissonance though, you're talking about a game where the protagonist is a hulking grey brute whose first action in the world is to slice a zombie to death)

I'm not sure why he brought up the Infinity Engine legacy, when PS:T had just as much DNA from Fallout, if not more so.

Just a theory, but I think the word "Fallout" has a bit too much contemporary baggage. :M

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I don't really understand that first question. What was the "ludonarrative dissonance" in PS:T?

Just a hipstery way of saying "there was too much bad combat in this game about conversations".

(it's not actually ludonarrative dissonance though, you're talking about a game where the protagonist is a hulking grey brute whose first action in the world is to slice a zombie to death)
Yeah, thought it might just be a case of "you keep using that word..."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Just a theory, but I think the word "Fallout" has a bit too much contemporary baggage. :M
What do you mean? That slide also showed DA:I, by the way.

He didn't say the word Dragon Age, though. That's just up there as one of the distant descendants of the IE legacy.

If you say "Infinity Engine", people get what you mean. If you say "Fallout", that can be misunderstood. Not to mention it's the IP of a company they don't like. And it's already associated with another product of theirs, Wasteland, which they might not want to conflate with. And they might have an interest in namedropping the Infinity Engine in particular to help Obsidian a little bit for the PoE release.

And anyway, I don't think PS:T is really that similar to Fallout, and it is an Infinity Engine game, so...

:avatard:

Athelas

Arcane
And anyway, I don't think PS:T is really more similar to Fallout, and it is an Infinity Engine game, so...
Well, I obviously meant within the constraints of the D&D rules the game was based on. The game has a focus on diplomacy and stat/skill checks, is sorta classless (TNO can change classes at any time) and has shit combat.

I get what you mean, though.

Martius

Liturgist
What Colin has said and this image seem to imply your character will literally live a life from childhood to old age.

sHi9hje.jpg

Was this known already? Haven't really payed too much attention to the story details.
From what I can remember last castoff gets ability to jump into other bodies, just like changing god. Maybe it have something to do with that?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fallout and IE games—including PST—took an entirely different approach to narrative design.

He even elaborates, "a strong narrative... [with] semi-traditional pacing". That's not Fallout 1.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Mostly just stuff like making eye contact with the audience, less weird pauses/losing what you were up to etc - something you get better at as you do more public speaking/presentations I guess.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's fine with me if he dumps presentation skill and puts his points into RPG design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom