Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Rothfuss has done better work than anyone else on the Torment writing team.

A young knight, surgically augmented by the secretive Council of Magi, discovers a highly placed conspiracy aimed at the heart of the Empire of Terona. Foresworn and forced to choose between his oath and his duty, he flees the capital with the king's infant daughter, the last surviving member of the dynasty. Called a traitor, and with the might of the Empire pursuing him, he must seek friends who can help him to stave the rising darkness at the heart of his home.

:roll:
Eyeroll this, but not

The riveting first-person narrative of a young man who grows to be the most notorious magician his world has ever seen. From his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime- ridden city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic,

In the first case, the blurb is spot on describing the depth of the plot, in the latter, the blurb is a reductive view of Rothfuss's narrative. Read both, then compare.

Athelas

Arcane
15 years ago, Planescape: Torment asked the question: 'What can change the nature of a man?'

Now, Tides of Numenera asks the equally profound question: 'What can change the nature of a bunch of third-rate writers?'

:happytrollboy:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In the first case, the blurb is spot on describing the depth of the plot, in the latter, the blurb is a reductive view of Rothfuss's narrative. Read both, then compare.
I gave up on The Name of the Wind about 60% through because it was boring mary sue becomes a wizard.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I gave up on The Name of the Wind about 60% through because it was boring mary sue becomes a wizard.

it's more than i was able to read of Colin's work, so there... objectively better. :troll:

Darkzone

Arcane
Athelas
Be honored, you are the first one that i gave a brofist, as i belive. Or ashamed, this is up to you. I think you will take the second one.

I have to pay tribute to SarcasticUndertones and Kem0sabe, they have managed to lure Ksaun from his snail. So that he had to descend into the Codex. Bravo!

Good that a book and a cRPG are two different things.

Azarkon

Arcane
15 years ago, Planescape: Torment asked the question: 'What can change the nature of a man?'

Now, Tides of Numenera asks the equally profound question: 'What can change the nature of a bunch of third-rate writers?'

:happytrollboy:

The answer to both is regret. In this case, regret for supporting a PST 'spiritual sequel' not helmed by MCA.

But hope springs eternal.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Buy Numenera & The Strange Books on the Torment Site

Have you been curious to learn more about the rules and setting of Numenera? You can now purchase various Numenera and The Strange pen and paper books (digital or physical) using your points on the Torment site! On your account page, check under Rewards > Available for items such as the Numenera Corebook, Bestiary, or Sir Arthour’s Guide to the Numenera.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When developers, and in this case a writer, starts referring to their games writing as high quality prose...
It's not unlikely though, since we are talking about :cmcc: and :ziets:

After reading CMC's fantasy series, i'm suddenly unimpressed by his work, mediocre doesnt even begin to describe the effort. Ziets on the other hand, did do some quality work on Mask of the Betrayer, but he also was creative lead on the piece of crap that was Dungeon Siege 3, so theres that. Luckily, there are other writers working on the game whose work i most definitely would call good writing, like Rothfuss.

PS:T and Mask of the Betrayer were 2 well written games, but even those i wouldn't call high quality prose... this grandstanding was undeserved before the launch of WL2 where it was the described as bestests reactive rpg, and it does little to endear them to me to see those kind of grandiose claims coming out of their mouths again.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Not cool. I thought I was getting a serious reply.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
What can change the nature of a 'story-rich' game? A lot of story alternatives that pan out into meaningful and tasteful branches for you to enjoy.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Thank you ksaun for replying to my post, I can imagine you are quite busy atm.

Thank you, also, for recognising that that there may have been at least some relevance to my post. I remember you (currently position notwithstanding) from the old Bio boards and the help with the BGs that you used to provide (I'm pretty certain that was you), yours is an opinion I can, at least, respect. So in general PP would be more accurate than simply 'polish' (which did raise alarm bells with me considering the expectation of this project, or any project tbh), OK, I can certainly accept that as being more valid.

As for wishing for expectations of mediocrity, but knowing that won't fly, at least you know it, heh.

Cheers.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Polish can mean many things. They want to program in a feature that won't make it currently. They get $100k and they then hire a an extra programmer for a certain amount of time to help with the game.

Maybe they are not happy with their GUI and with enough money hire someone that is very talented at that sort of thing.

Maybe they get enough money that is hire for some time to help with creature animations. Some Tier B monsters become Tier A monsters and get more elaborate and distinct. Then they might even manage to get some Tier C monsters to Tier B.

There are many examples like this. Music can be worked on, maps can be expanded, more voice work, etc. This is post-production but also polish.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might as well post the pics.
ibp9REQ5tIxwID.jpg

iQJXxtPgUlYJr.jpg

imxzzfzyiGusu.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom