Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's killing me, the stretch goal is GEORGE ZIETS STUFF, that HAS to happen...
That's how they get ya by the balls

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just remembered I never subscribed to George Ziets' Tumblr RSS feed: http://gziets.tumblr.com/

Anonymous said: The concept of a being using different vessels during millions of years and traveling through dimensions and alternate realities is similar to that exposed in the Lotus Sutra, for instance in chapter XXIV. The difference seems to be that in T:ToN The Sorrow is an entropic power, whereas Gadgadasvara is just a mentor. Would there be some compassionate life-aiding power or will it be up to the player to become one?

I don’t know too much about Buddhist writings, so I can’t speak to the Lotus Sutra specifically. The Changing God has used numerous vessels over a very long period of time - his incarnations have been many and varied, based upon the Tides. During the lives when he chose to follow the Gold Tide, he may have been a compassionate, life-aiding power… but in other lives, he wasn’t.

Likewise, the player can choose to follow a compassionate, Gold Tide path. However, we don’t place any greater value upon that path than any of the others.

The Sorrow’s motivation is… complicated. You’ll discover more over the course of the game. :)

tormentsuperfan said: Is the Endless Battle an allusion to the Cold War era where two ideologies battle for supremacy in proxy wars? Are the altered realities supposed to represent media war? Also, this is the first time the 'castoff community' has been mentioned. How common are castoffs?

Colin came up with the original concept for the Endless Battle, and he says that it’s a more general comment on the futility of war, as opposed to an allusion to any specific conflict.

The altered realities arose from a discussion between Colin and me, and I, at least, was not thinking about media war at the time. But deeper meanings often arise in the midst of writing and implementation, so it remains to be seen where we’ll take that idea.

In the part of the world where the game takes place, castoffs are scattered around – some keeping a low profile, others taking more prominent roles, all keeping their identities quiet. I can’t reveal their numbers (spoilers), but there aren’t a ton of them.

surfacereflectionblg said: Tell me about the Sorrow, George.

The Sorrow (formerly known as the Angel of Entropy) has been hunting castoffs like the player for quite some time. Some castoffs have managed to evade its attention so far, while others have been tracked down and mercilessly destroyed. The Sorrow will be a major antagonistic force in the game. Since you – and all the other castoffs, for that matter – aren’t strong enough to stand against it directly, you’ve got to find another way to deal with it.

For the moment, I can’t say any more than we’ve already revealed in updates, but the question of *why* the Sorrow is hunting the castoffs will definitely be revealed over the course of the story.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just realized something... My NPC designed for Pillars of Eternity has similar themes as the main character for this game. I don't know if :negative: or :bounce:

There is no good involved, but the concept is somewhat similar.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
First, as we've often said, you get XP when you solve problems, complete quests, and make discoveries—not for individual kills.
I'm okay with this for Torment. (PoE, a game about killing shit all the time all over the place, is a different matter.)

Second, XP is spent, not accumulated – like cyphers, XP are a resource not intended for hoarding. Most of the time, you'll have less than 4 XP, because that's how much most character advancement steps cost. Third, you can also spend XP on short-term benefits—on things other than character advancement.
Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Cool illustrations for Heine's book.

Also cool to see my photoshop gospel being spread in KS updates :hero:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, that was cool. I'm feeling pretty good about this game for now.

Also, they called us friends! I like that. #biasedgamingmedia

DP can also be gained by accepting Intrusions. These are opportunities to make an easy encounter more interesting, rewarding the player for dealing with an added complication. For example, say you're taking on the Sorrow directly (it's not a good idea, but let's say that you are). You discover it's weak against fire damage and, with the help of a flamethrowing artifact you found, are actually doing pretty well against it.

Then an Intrusion occurs. The Sorrow begins to shifts its own molecular make-up so that it's weak against something else but fire barely hurts it. This Intrusion won't always happen: most Intrusions will only trigger when an encounter is already proving easy for you, and many of them have additional conditionals that must be met. Now that this one has triggered, you have a choice: you can spend 1 DP to stop the Intrusion (how that works out narratively depends on each Intrusion, for example maybe you strike a lucky blow, doing little or no damage, but disorienting the Sorrow long enough that it can't finish the shift), or you can let it happen to gain 2 DP.

What an interesting mechanic! Actually rewarding players for and giving them a possibility to make a game more challenging. If implemented nicely in TotN, it may spread for other games.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Mhhm, this game seems like it will be the one that inXile will be known for. Wasteland 2 was good, but it was a first, a taster, of their creativity and skill.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Mhhm, this game seems like it will be the one that inXile will be known for. Wasteland 2 was good, but it was a first, a taster, of their creativity and skill.

The first taster of inXile's creativity and skill was The Bard's Tale.

Drax

Arcane

The first taster of inXile's creativity and skill was The Bard's Tale.
Nah, that was the taste of inXile's shit, this game is promising, so it'd be the taste of their.... hmm..

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

I think it's mostly a different team of people developing this one. At least that was what I was told on here, and it seems to be the case. Much better design decisions already, this one looks incredible already whereas I thought WL2 was gonna be complete crap (and thus was pleasantly surprised that it was actually pretty good). It looks better than Pillars too, Pillars is pretty damn poz'd.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I think it's mostly a different team of people developing this one. At least that was what I was told on here, and it seems to be the case. Much better design decisions already, this one looks incredible already whereas I thought WL2 was gonna be complete crap (and thus was pleasantly surprised that it was actually pretty good). It looks better than Pillars too, Pillars is pretty damn poz'd.
My thoughts so far

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

My thoughts so far

Uh, not to my knowledge, there are new members but a lot of the old Wasteland 2 team are now moving onto Torment.

Ninjerk

Arcane

My thoughts so far

Uh, not to my knowledge, there are new members but a lot of the old Wasteland 2 team are now moving onto Torment.
I didn't even see the first part tbh. The bolded is what I actually read. That's what I get for skimming late at night.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space

My thoughts so far

Well, the trailer is pretty cool but I guess we shouldn't hold our hopes too high with the geniuses on board.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Why do you insist on stomping on my hopes and dreams?
2ufuasg.jpg

Sprout

Educated
Why do you insist on stomping on my hopes and dreams?
Yeah, the production team is mostly the same give or take a few additions. What looks to be new is the design team working on the game. On the writing side there maybe a few old faces (Colin, Nathan Long), but honestly, if you look at the roster, Inxile seems to have hired a bunch of very competent people to handle the project.

dryan

Arcane
Sorry for being out of the loop here, but I was under the impression that they had made way more than their funding goal on Kickstarter, so why are they asking for more pledges?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom