Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For an example of a setting featuring an "endless royal rumble" between the followers of a lost god and his enemies, that nevertheless manages to sustain plenty of mystery, see Warhammer 40k. :smug:

But, it is a legitimate worry and it'd be nice if Colin weighed in on it.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
So inXile is basically continuing their kickstarter campaign with their own website. Is it possible they could do an entire campaign this way for the next game? No more Kickstarter fees. There must be other advantages as well.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So inXile is basically continuing their kickstarter campaign with their own website. Is it possible they could do an entire campaign this way for the next game? No more Kickstarter fees. There must be other advantages as well.

I could see this happening after having made a good name for themselves.
Though would this move lessen potential backers, maybe a tiny bit.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I know they are not focusing on combat, but I hope it has enough combat with a decent amount of skills from the Numenera.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.adamheine.com/2014/09/i-am-not-great-writer.html

I am not a great writer

Last week I got critiques back on two of my novels. They were great critiques. I mean really great, like editor-from-Tor great. (Don't get excited. They were not from an editor at Tor, nor any other Big 5 publisher; I'm still very much in submission hell.) And this super-editor critique, that I'm extremely grateful for and will probably owe my future career to, well... it totally and utterly crushed my soul.

For two days straight, I was the authorial version of John McClane's feet. I knew I could write in theory -- I mean, people have said so before and even paid me for doing so -- but I couldn't make myself believe it. I didn't feel right reviewing other people's stories or even Torment docs. I felt like I knew nothing about telling a story or stringing words together.

Then I had a revelation, and I want to share it with you because I know all too well how common the soul-crushing critique is. The revelation is this:

I am not a great writer.

But damn can I revise.

Twisting it that way changes everything. If I think I can write, but then I get this critique that rips through my novel like a chain blade through a clan of ninjas, then surely I know nothing. I'm a pretender, a wannabe, and I will never get it right.

But if I consider myself a reviser, then a critique like that is expected -- desired even. It's just more ammunition to do what I'm really good at. Everything I write is going to get critiqued that hard, so it's a damn good thing that I can revise anything.

Don't get me wrong, the critique still hurts, and it's going to take a lot of work for me be happy with it again, but thinking of it that way gave me back the motivation I needed to tackle it. This is something I can do.

Adam Heine I know exactly how you feel.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We will probably not reach the stretch goal until the very end. There's a new $750 backer, but it isn't going fast. No wonder people turn to Kickstarter now that it is more known.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We will probably not reach the stretch goal until the very end. There's a new $750 backer, but it isn't going fast. No wonder people turn to Kickstarter now that it is more known.
It is not that of a surprise. This game already got a ton of money, people who where interested in it, and were willing to pay upfront probably gave every money they could to it during the KS.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
It is not that of a surprise. This game already got a ton of money, people who where interested in it, and were willing to pay upfront probably gave every money they could to it during the KS.
True, but I think it's still a good idea to keep additional crowdfunding going - for instance, my personal financial situation is better now than it was during the KS and I could afford to update my pledge this week. :takemymoney:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
True, but I think it's still a good idea to keep additional crowdfunding going - for instance, my personal financial situation is better now than it was during the KS and I could afford to update my pledge this week. :takemymoney:
Oh yes, they should still keep the funding going, just like Star Citizen. They might not get a million, but a few 100K a year is still a good money.

Knut

Educated
i hope wasteland 2 will be a financial success so the surplus can be invested into this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://colinmccomb.com/?p=220

Sundry
Posted on 26 September 2014

I returned from California last night from another hugely productive design week at inXile. Coincidentally, I was there just in time to attend the launch party for Wasteland 2(for which I wrote the Mannerites in LA), so I got to congratulate the team for their achievement in the launch, hang out with some of the backers, and see old friends who accused me of traveling there too stealthily for them to make plans to hang out with me. (note: this is actually true, because I was working pretty much the whole time)

Post-party-hangover, the remainder of the week was spent writing dialogues, learning how to deal with technical issues, and having some excellent personal interaction with the Torment team. We tightened trickier aspects of the story, and are continuing to answer other questions that pop up as we iron down other aspects. Story in games is an ongoing process through development, as aspects of the story come into sharp relief and require answers that won’t break other parts, and each discussion we have is aimed toward honing the player’s experience and deepening the story’s significance.

Wednesday night, Jesse Farrell taught Steve Dobos, Nathan Long, Kevin Saunders, George Ziets, and I how to play Chaos in the Old World, and I would have won if Mr. Dobos hadn’t pointed out I was going to win. I had two paths to victory, both eminently achievable, and all those rat-bastards (Nathan especially; he was playing the Skaven scum) teamed up to deny both paths… opening the way for George to defeat me, 54 to 49. (Perhaps I spoke too soon when I announced to the table that they couldn’t beat me.)

This is the part where I give a shout to Jason Dora for his excellence with the Torment website, to Charlie and Alisha for their stunning work on the TTON video. I realize I’m supposed to be all cool about this job, but seeing ideas brought to life is a thrill that never, ever gets old. Working with this team is a pleasure and a privilege.

On that note, I’d also like to thank Adam for his patience, his memory, and his enthusiasm. Working half a world away can’t be easy for him, but he’s always ready with an incisive look into story, design, and other aspects of the game, and his patience with changes and his understanding of the ramifications of those changes is always amazing. Plus, as he notes, he’s great at revision.

Enough. Time to get back to revisions and rebuilding Unity.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Chris Roberts proved that you can get N+1 times more money with neverending funding campaign. Problem is - he can just add designs, and its much harder to add story to an RPG. Yet they could still add named items for backers.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never thought about this since I played BG 1 as a kid but Jesus Christ, Bhaal fucked a LOT of chicks to have that many offspring. And presumably guys since Forgotten Realms don't judge.

Yes he fucked guys cause womb is well known social construct; as for story we promised new Torment but getting BG2 with its derpy Bhaal spawns instead :decline:; still since it will be turn based and Josh won't balance her to oblivion it might be good fun to play game. Cautiously optimistic since Wateland 2 turned to be OK despite or maybe thanks to some Codexers excessive whining.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see them reaching the next stretch goal. It's a shame, because I liked what Ziets did on Mask of the Betrayer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I already backed for many dollars, I'm not gonna invest any more. But it's a shame if the new zone doesn't make it in. Especially considering that probably means they won't make any other stretch goal, if they had any planned.

Can't they cut some other, non-Ziets area, and implement this instead? More Ziets = better game!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't see them reaching the next stretch goal. It's a shame, because I liked what Ziets did on Mask of the Betrayer.

Actually, at the average rate money has been going in, it might be within reach with a good final push.

If you want to do the math yourself, fundraising began on the 17th at around 4.6 million.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Gotta count in people who are still undecided or too lazy to put in more cash already. There's still over 2 weeks to go, it'll probably become clearer in the last 2 days, as always.

There was no big kickstarter campaign recently, so did people forget the first 3 days and the last 3 days yield the most money? It rather will reach new goal, sadly it won't go any further. Curious what other goals would we get if it reached Guiliet earlier. Thankfully in some interview it was said Fargo is planning to include all cut content as an expansion. Interesting trend in kickstarted games, isn't it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom