Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
people against TB combat... i think they´re the kind of persons that prefer quick action instead of thinking
I don't count RT with P as quick action. RT without P is real quick action. RTWP for people who prefer the gameplay difficulties of timing and etc. that RTWP provides, at a slower rate than an RTS because characters are much less expendable.

But twitch quick action is not the strength of RTWP. Sorry, people who think RTWP is of any reflex challenge is retarded - pausing at the right time is not a significant sklil.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I have never seen RTwP that didn't compromise tactical fidelity - ultimately leading to diminished enjoyability and wishing it weren't so.

Very, very important fault. Maybe some day someone will get it right but it hasn't happened yet.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I have never seen RTwP that didn't compromise tactical fidelity - ultimately leading to diminished enjoyability and wishing it weren't so.

Very, very important fault. Maybe some day someone will get it right but it hasn't happened yet.
Indeed. Agreed on both points. I don't think it's the fault of RTWP on paper, but rather that it's hard to implement tactical fidelity the right way. I actually really like the Engagement mechanic in PoE, ignoring the rest of the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good tactical combat is extremely difficult to do whether turn-based or pausable real-time.

I've yet to find a system that meets my standards.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So on the one hand we have your standards. On the other hand we have the cumulative count of every system ever made. Statistically where do you think it's more likely for the problem to lie?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Good tactical combat is extremely difficult to do whether turn-based or pausable real-time.

haven't been 100 percent satisfied either, however, I so far have played far more TB games that came closer to the mark IMO. I do find the promise of the crisis system interesting. It would be ground breaking if it effectively allowed for on-typical actions during encounters.

I appreciate the expedited and more free-flowing nature that RTwP gives but it is the total inability to have full control that burns my arse. It will be interesting to contrast PoE and TToN systems.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So on the one hand we have your standards. On the other hand we have the cumulative count of every system ever made. Statistically where do you think it's more likely for the problem to lie?
With them.

As Josh said, polished turds.

likaq

Arcane

And yet which games are considered as incline recently? Blackguards, MMX, Banner saga and Div OS. 3 of them are nothing more than combat simulators, Div OS is shitty in every aspect except combat and enviroment interaction, yet they are 'incline'.

Not to mention that every time someone use phrase "non-combat gameplay" on codex, or even ask for non combat centric crpg butthurt is incredible. And let's not forget that according to hivemind the only type of gameplay that can exist in crpg is combat.

Weasel

And yet which games are considered as incline recently? Blackguards, MMX, Banner saga and Div OS. 3 of them are nothing more than combat simulators, Div OS is shitty in every aspect except combat and enviroment interaction, yet they are 'incline'.

Not to mention that every time someone use phrase "non-combat gameplay" on codex, or even ask for non combat centric crpg butthurt is incredible. And let's not forget that according to hivemind the only type of gameplay that can exist in crpg is combat.
When the new Torment comes out, if they do a decent job on the writing as expected, do you think it will be hailed as 'incline'?

There's a varied audience here, plenty of storyfags as well as combatfags.

accismus

Literate
nano is a class

Honest question - did they do this because they had to use Numenara's nomenclature or did they have the option to rename it and still stuck to this idiocy?

I mean, as Adam Heine keeps reminding us, this is set a BILLION years in the future, after 8 civilisations, each having lasted 25,000 times as long as ours has so far. Since a key concept of this setting seems to be Clarke's Cook's Third Law, it makes no sense that we can rationalise the Numenara in terms of today's scientific terminology (NANOBOTZ!!) unless there's some hidden Wheel of Time stuff going on - we should be as clueless about stuff like the Iron Wind as the Ninth World-ers are. It also makes no sense that words like "nano" have stayed in scientific use after 8 civilisations rose and fell and were familiar enough to become everyday words, 1 billion years in the future. So yeah, in setting, "nano" is just plain silly. Out of setting, it is just plain lazy (everything agris said).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
nano is a class

Honest question - did they do this because they had to use Numenara's nomenclature or did they have the option to rename it and still stuck to this idiocy?

I mean, as Adam Heine keeps reminding us, this is set a BILLION years in the future, after 8 civilisations, each having lasted 25,000 times as long as ours has so far. Since a key concept of this setting seems to be Clarke's Cook's Third Law, it makes no sense that we can rationalise the Numenara in terms of today's scientific terminology (NANOBOTZ!!) unless there's some hidden Wheel of Time stuff going on - we should be as clueless about stuff like the Iron Wind as the Ninth World-ers are. It also makes no sense that words like "nano" have stayed in scientific use after 8 civilisations rose and fell and were familiar enough to become everyday words, 1 billion years in the future. So yeah, in setting, "nano" is just plain silly. Out of setting, it is just plain lazy (everything agris said).

That's nothing! Did you know the game's dialogue is going to be in English, too? So implausible.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That's nothing! Did you know the game's dialogue is going to be in English, too? So implausible.

You realize that games are commonly translated into other languages, right? In the case of T:ToN, the original language version is simply not commercially available.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Of course your standards mean shit, since you think PoE's system is good. :troll:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Oh hey, look, it's J_C who was sending me death threats not longer than 2 weeks ago for daring to say PoE looks like shit :smug:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh hey, look, it's J_C who was sending me death threats not longer than 2 weeks ago for daring to say PoE looks like shit :smug:
2 weeks ago we didn't know (not even you) how the game system works, there was no beta yet, so I don't know why would I have sent you death threats. I think you are exaggerating this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you didn't know how the system worked, you weren't paying attention.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If you didn't know how the system worked, you weren't paying attention.
A system in theory is =/= how it works in practice. This system could be decent (not great, but servicable), if they fix it and balance it in the right way. But appearently Josh thinks that it is great as it is, it just needs balancing. No, it is not just balancing, some things need to change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom