Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Have mini-crises or "tussles" been mentioned before?

agris

Arcane
Patron
:rage:

The terms used for TTON are so infuriating if you know a moderate amount of science! Nano is a class? Give me a fucking break! That's like calling a class 'micro' or 'giga'. Fucking 'quantum shadows' echoed through multiple realities? Rrraaagghhh! I thought inXile had a fancy team of Canadian science advisors?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The terms used for TTON are so infuriating if you know a moderate amount of science! Nano is a class? Give me a fucking break! That's like calling a class 'micro' or 'giga'. Fucking 'quantum shadows' echoed through multiple realities? Rrraaagghhh! I thought inXile had a fancy team of Canadian science advisors?

Well, uh, its science fantasy in the Heavy Metal sense of the term (but with more dramatic seriousness).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Are you diagnosed with autism? It's how people in-setting refer to stuff, and they don't know shit about science, everything is handled with a buttload of esoterism

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm not autistic, I'm a Femto.

This argument is stupid anyway, because Cook decided what to name the class. Are we LARPing this discussion?

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah, and even that is more tolerable than NWN2.
Within it's Genre, NO! Most explicitly, NO! FO3 is the single worst FPS I've played. NWN2 is just the bad side of mediocre for a third person RPG.
And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have high skill proficiency in the weapon you're using. That's more gameplay than anything RTWP post BG2.

agris

Arcane
Patron
But it doesn't. Referring to a class with a prefix for a unit of measure makes as much sense as Sandman being a villain who specializes in concrete.

Actually, that makes more sense.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jesus Christ

Theres's this type of people who can use magic, and nanotechnology is the most magical thing ever because it can do anything and you can't see it, so people took to calling them nanos. People don't fucking know 'nano' is a measurement prefix because it probably hasn't been used for that purpose in billions of years

agris

Arcane
Patron
Presentation matters. Tell us why you dislike that hybrid class (or have you?), but I'm contributing that the class name is stupid and I hope the SciFi elements won't be presented with so much derptitude.

Mario isn't a plumber, he's a 1/2" union. Max Payne isn't a PI, he's a shotgun shell. TNO isn't a class-bending tortured soul, he's a coffin pillow.

Such absurd names don't do these games any favors, and the same holds true with TTON. I just wish they'd put more care into it is all.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Presentation matters. Tell us why you dislike that hybrid class (or have you?), but I'm contributing that the class name is stupid and I hope the SciFi elements won't be presented with so much derptitude.
Because it's really boring. It's a setting that allows for really wild stuff but the classes and their abilities are as cookie-cutter as it gets.

SciFi elements won't be presented with so much derptitude.
If you think this is a Sci Fi game you are sorely mistaken. I suggest you read up on the setting and save yourself some disappointment.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Elements.

I've read Cook's PHB and am torn. Parts read like casual shit, while others are genuinely interesting.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, "elements". But the Sci-Fi elements of the game amount to using ancient technology to handwave magic as opposed to the aether, the spirits or whatever other fantasy games chose to use in their settings.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
To do list:
1) Write scifi story where the microns have to defeat the evil kilos to cause agris's neurosis to flare up again

buzz

Arcane
Hey Agris
Transistor_art.jpg

Red, a famous singer in a city called Cloudbank, is attacked by the Process, a robotic force commanded by a group called the Camerata. During the clash, she is transported all the way across Cloudbank and comes into possession of the mysterious Transistor--the greatsword-like weapon she was to be assassinated with. The Transistor is buried into the chest of an as-of-yet unnamed man (who seems to be close with Red), now slumped over and dead; though his consciousness and voice seems to have been absorbed into the Transistor itself, along with Red's voice. The Camerata continues to track Red and the Transistor down with the Process, wanting the weapon for some yet-unknown cause.

A sword called Transistor, how does that make you feel? :troll:

roll-a-die

Magister
And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have high skill proficiency in the weapon you're using.

lol wut
I think what he's saying is along the lines of,

And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have maxed the weapon skills for the weapon you are using, and also I suck obsidians cock enough to say this.

Which is completely false, because it's slow, has autoaim, has cone fire on all weapons, and has a shitty immortality mode called VATS.

I'm wondering how long it will be before Agris' brain implodes upon the realisation that this place is still called the rpgcodex, and not the more appropriately titled 'bitchfest codex that sort of loosely centres around games'.

karfhud

Augur
Yeah, and even that is more tolerable than NWN2.
Within it's Genre, NO! Most explicitly, NO! FO3 is the single worst FPS I've played. NWN2 is just the bad side of mediocre for a third person RPG.
And yet Fallout New Vegas plays better than most dedicated FPS games when you have high skill proficiency in the weapon you're using. That's more gameplay than anything RTWP post BG2.

In both examples you click at something and your characters shoot at it/bash at it. Hardly different.

FFS Bros, stop discussing FPS and Fallouts in this Sacred Torment topic.
:negative:

This.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom