Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Torment: Tides of Numenera Interview at GRY-Online

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Adam Heine; InXile Entertainment; Jeremy Kopman; Kevin Saunders; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Polish magazine GRY-Online offers a dual-language interview (Polish and English) on InXile's Torment: Tides of Numenera. The developers interviewed are Adam Heine (Design Lead), Jeremy Kopman (Crisis Designer), and Kevin Saunders (Project Lead). Have a snippet on difficulty as well as on "romancing options", without which "modern RPGs" apparently "cannot exist" according to the interviewer:

What about game difficulty? Are you planning to escalate it somehow? If so – what will change at „hard” in comparison to „normal”? And if not – how do you want to reconcile the expectations and needs of hardcore RPG gamers and casual ones?

Kevin Saunders: We do plan to have difficulty settings, but aren’t yet prepared to discuss the details of how we’ll approach this feature. In general, we aren’t targeting super casual players, but we are using best practices for UI design and game design to make the game accessible rather than arcane. The quests, storyline, etc. typically don’t take well to different difficulty levels and we aren’t planning much, if anything, there. Meanwhile, because the Crises are hand-crafted experiences, and fairly few in number, we hope we can be somewhat sophisticated in how we alter them based on difficulty.

So as to not fully evade your question, here are a few specific examples (or counter examples):

Opponents: On harder difficulty settings, we may add additional enemies that create more tactically challenging encounters.

Difficult Tasks (DT): If we do make DTs harder at higher difficulties, it won’t be by much. This method of difficulty scaling fundamentally alters too much of the gameplay, making many Skills less useful, which disrupts the balance of a variety of things.

Friendly fire: We will likely have friendly fire active in all difficulty modes and not something that changes due to the difficulty setting. With the turn-based combat, making your party immune to friendly area of effect abilities would fundamentally alter the nature of those abilities and undermine the tactics.

Resting: You may get more “rests” at easier difficulty levels, allowing you to be a little less discerning about when to spend Effort.

Randomness: Not really a difficulty thing, but another axis we’ve toyed with as a game option is the degree of randomness. We are planning for randomness to play a factor in some aspects of gameplay and not others, but might let the player adjust some of this. For example, in Numenera weapons typically inflict a fixed amount of damage, which affects the flavor of combat compared to random damage.

Nowadays modern RPGs cannot exist without romancing options. Previous games from the genre were not avoiding this either – even Planescape: Torment had some kind of love story involving the Nameless One and Annah. Will we able to take relations with our companions to the „next level”? Will it affect story somehow?

Kevin Saunders: Love can indeed be part of one’s legacy, but including love stories is not a focus for us. The types of relationships you can develop depend upon the specifics of the characters and situations – to the extent that any deep connections can be established, it will be because they arose naturally through the story, not because we preplanned them. Of course, romantic love is only one flavor of love.​

The full interview is also worth a read not just for other snippets of info about the game's approach to crises or combat, but also to enjoy Kevin's answers to the typical game journalistic questions about RtwP vs turn-based, the non-rotating camera, and voice-overs and cutscenes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think that might be a Polishism? Ie, by "can't exist" he means that in practice it seems that there can't be an RPG without romance nowadays, because everybody is doing it.

Last edited:

Dagobert

Educated
I think that might be a Polishism? Ie, by "can't exist" he means that in practice it seems that there can't be an RPG without romance nowadays, because everybody is doing it.

Yep, that's exactly what it means in polish

Perkel

Arcane

Yeah, it is what he said.

Interviewer is v.good and knows his stuff.

Whole interview is stellar.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I think they answered that question in a good way. PS:T had it's moments with romantic tension and prospects of seedier things with the sensates but they were handled skillfully. AAA titles let you choose who to fuck (or fuck them all). I would welcome more of how PS:T handled things.

Perkel

Arcane
Heh choosing TB had amazing outcome. Like i said in other thread about TB. If you have TB you need to properly design combat situations and there should be no filler combat.

And above is exactly what they said in interview.

edit:

Also you can play whole game without killing anyone.

bonescraper

Gry-online.pl is the polish equivalent of IGN. The interview reflects that perfectly. "How are you going to balance the game for people who don't know how to play vidya gaems?" "Turn-based? People don't like that!" "No rotating camera? Dat's Raycis Archaic!" Those fuckers used to strongly promote consoles and console games back in the day, in a land without any significant console gaming history. And they're partly responsible for a new generation of console peasants in this PC-centric country.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's not the consoles that are evil it's the fucking idiots they attract.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There was a time modern Germany couldn't exist without killing Jews. I really hate those arguments.

Besides, nobody has ever managed to successulfy graft romance onto a good sci-fi story. Ever.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There was a time modern Germany couldn't exist without killing Jews. I really hate those arguments.

Besides, nobody has ever managed to successulfy graft romance onto a good sci-fi story. Ever.

The-island.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I was banned from Gry-online after writing a long list of retarded things in Fallout 3 and pointing out that their positive review can hardly be taken seriously when there are Bethesda ads all over the place :D (this came up after one of the moderators wanted to defend things like stimpacks healing broken arms). Yes, it's equivalent of IGN, although Divinity: Original Sin got a 9/10 though and by the same guy that interviewed inXile employees. This makes me think that he was told to ask these stupid questions but who knows.

Aldous Huxley and the screenwriter for Blade Runner would like to have a word with you in that darkened alley around the corner.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I enjoyed romantic dialogue in BG2. I don't remember anybody complaining about it back when the game came out.
I think contemporary 3D games kind of spoiled the concept, when the supposed climax of a "love story" in the game is the sight of angular polygonal shapes awkwardly shifting around each other. (there's a joke about intersections in there somewhere)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Aldous Huxley and the screenwriter for Blade Runner would like to have a word with you in that darkened alley around the corner.
Ok, never except twice.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I didn't like the romance in Blade Runner because it was rape. :rpgcodex:

Brave New World also ended in gross slut-shaming rape, though being gross was the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom