Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
One of the few companies creating something resembling classic RPG's - yeah, let's shit on them over some console port, because principles.
Come on. Classic RPGs didn't have controller-oriented UIs or amateur-grade full VOs.

:neveraskedforthis:

Decline doesn't happen instantly. Must I remind you that once upon a time Bioware, too, was a company making classic RPGs? Of course, everybody makes mistakes. But did they see the error of their ways when the public first gave them the could shoulder? You know, maybe they did. The problem is that mainstream is a one-way street.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Come on. Classic RPGs didn't have controller-oriented UIs or amateur-grade full VOs.

True, classic RPG's often had some of the clunkiest UI's imaginable. As to voiceover, personally I don't care either way, except that this money might be better spent elsewhere.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And what was that casual game he made ... Wasteland 2, I guess. Did you actually play it?
Didn't you know? Inxile was a mobile company churning out smartphone and casual shit games for years before Fargo found out he could milk pc gamers with kickstarter.
Of course - that doesn't make him a liar and that doesn't mean that the RPGs they're making now are smartphone games or compromised in any way. By that logic, Choplifter HD is as good as Fallout.

With Kickstarter, Fargo made an opportunity for himself to get out of the shovelware business and back to making the real shit for monocles. We should be applauding him for that, not tearing him down. If you look really hard, you might find one or two people in this very thread who've worked jobs in the past they're not proud of; doesn't mean it makes sense to knock what they're doing today.

mastroego

Arcane
Principles are important.
Once you catch someone lying about something, you can never be sure what else he is lying about every time he speaks. You also start wondering about his "agenda" when he does.

It happened to me more than once in real life. Once with a friend, too. It's uncomfortable.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Principles are important.
Once you catch someone lying about something, you can never be sure what else he is lying about every time he speaks. You also start wondering about his "agenda" when he does.

Remind me about his lies again?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I can't find the torment one, but it's after the KS finished and Brian Fargo gets visited by the Kid Publisher agian and the kid asks him to come on in and he'll give him more money, and Brian's all "no way man, I am an indie developer and I am doing this for the fans!" Oddly enough that video is gone now. I wonder...

Here it is.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'm guessing the best course of action currently is to forget about the project until some 7-8 months post-release, when a Director's Cut version gets released.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Or not. If there's a director cut you can bet it's going to be aimed at satisfying whatever the consoletards will ask for.

But hey, I hear it's better to shut up and not complain about "unimportant" things, it's the sure way to get what you want.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm guessing the best course of action currently is to forget about the project until some 7-8 months post-release, when a Director's Cut version gets released.
What would be the selling points of a Torment director's cut? You can't simply upscale the textures like you would with a 3d game and spending 4 years writing a video game story only to overhaul it less than a year after release would be rather odd. Gameplay overhaul seems unlikely considering they're using a ruleset adapted from a tabletop game.

In fact, the lack of a planned director's cut may have been a factor in the decision for a simultaneous multi-platform release (rather than release the director's cut later on consoles).

There might be DLC though. :shittydog:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
These subforuns are disgusting. You just need to compare this thread with the news thread about the trailer to realize how much fanboysm is going on here. I already knew that Zombra is an Inxile fanatic, because back in the days of W2 beta, he keep defending the game from all the obvious criticisms in the InXile forum. He should be tagged as a
fargofanboy.png

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol. Still waiting for a single claim about Fargo lying to be substantiated - or even reiterated.

Well OK, Roguey brought up a good link to the Deep Silver quote unquote "scandal", and there was definitely a lot of outcry there ... by people who don't understand the difference between a publisher and a distributor.
dunce.gif

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lol. Still waiting for a single claim about Fargo lying to be substantiated - or even reiterated.

Well OK, Roguey brought up a good link to the Deep Silver quote unquote "scandal", and there was definitely a lot of outcry there ... by people who don't understand the difference between a publisher and a distributor.
dunce.gif
The lying was specifically "it assures you that distribution will be handled professionally and quickly, and will assure a smooth experience for getting the game and goodies into your hands." It wasn't handled quickly or smoothly.

Zombra

Patron
The lying was specifically "it assures you that distribution will be handled professionally and quickly, and will assure a smooth experience for getting the game and goodies into your hands." It wasn't handled quickly or smoothly.
It's true enough that distribution was slow, but come on, that wasn't trickery or fraud. :roll: They just hired somebody who didn't do a great job packing boxes. Characterizing Fargo as a liar because of that is a little like suing a restaurant for advertising "best pizza in town".

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Perhaps you'd be better off in a place where the epitome is to be a retarded fanbot and swallow every piece of shit that's put in front of you.

Jesus, you are a stupid little shit.

TTON may well turn out to be bad, but flying off the handle months before release with "DURRRRRR FARGO LIED TO US BECUZ CONSOLEZZZ" despite a complete lack of evidence that console development has had any impact whatsoever is pathetic.

I dunno... maybe wait until you see how it turns out? Maybe don't go into an emo rage every time there's the slightest alteration in plans?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno... maybe wait until you see how it turns out?

If there is something that I despise more than anything is these kind of stupid posters that always have this rebuttal, "let's wait and see how it turns out first!"
And what then you stupid fuck?
This kind of attitude was ever more present on the Heroes of Might and Magic VI forums where all the warning signs of a terrible game were all out there but there was always one slimy "optimist", one fuck-up that wanted to appear as the pacifist intellectual that wanted to temper all the spirits invoking the restrain card, the "let's not judge first, let's wait and see" card.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom