Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Live on IGN

TedNugent

Arcane
This looks pretty gewd.

Mustawd

Can't a man just be naturally cool as fuck? :D

anoop1_zpsb9e28179.png

Tags: Brian Fargo; George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

The Torment: Tides of Numenera beta is coming out this week, the week of January 17th (and not on the 17th itself, whoops). Today though, Brian Fargo and George Ziets are showing the game on IGN's Twitch channel. It's live now:

Get hyped!

Update: And it's over. With lots and lots of text to read in the prologue, the stream didn't get much farther than the beginning of Sagus Cliffs. Highlights include an early battle and a whale-themed CYOA sequence written by Mark Yohalem. But it's not really a great way to showcase this kind of game. Hopefully the beta will be released soon so we can play it ourselves.

Who are these boring, pasty fucks?

Neither George nor Brian seem excited to release their piece of shit game to the public.

This is gonna be Hellgate: London, Daikatana, and every other shit game of the last 20 years all rolled into one.

Trashos

Arcane
Freaking loved what I saw. The overall feel, the art, the moral dilemmas. It all looked like something really special.

IGN guy did a good job. Kudos to him.

I kind of liked the narrator. Having said that, I would like to have the option to turn him off, for the times when I feel like reading undisturbed.

I am unsure about the "natural" in-game character creation. It may be cool on a first playthrough, but could be a bore on subsequent ones.
Also, I prefer deterministic character creation schemes. Don't know how those "critical successes" will affect the whole character creation thing.

Anybody knows how many different maps are in the game?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Snoop Doge is not cool tho
Gentlemen and trannies, if I may beg your indulgence - but I am rather certain there can be found other persons of interest that readily lend themselves for a more favourable pictorial comparison. Such as young Jeremy Irons:
kznUDYW.jpg

Which is good, as our expectations about class and style of both the artist and his work seem not entirely misplaced, I daresay:

2b59cJ6.jpg

Shevek

Arcane
@12:05 They say 3 guys made Planescape (the setting). They name 2 of those guys as McComb and Monte Cook. That's BS. Planescape was created by Zeb Cook not Monte Cook. The next most important guy in the development of Planescape was Jeff Grubb (not Colin or Monte). Wish they would stop selling Monte's work on a couple setting books (or was it just 1?) as the creation of the setting itself.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think TTON will flop. I hope I'm wrong but ... it seems they are going the wrong way in their quest to be original/different.

The combat looks bad. The walls of text likewise. CYOA shit is still shit. The narrator is annoying. UI is ... no comment.

Basically the story/gameworld will make or break this game. Or I'm missing something?

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
@12:05 They say 3 guys made Planescape (the setting). They name 2 of those guys as McComb and Monte Cook. That's BS. Planescape was created by Zeb Cook not Monte Cook. The next most important guy in the development of Planescape was Jeff Grubb (not Colin or Monte). Wish they would stop selling Monte's work on a couple setting books (or was it just 1?) as the creation of the setting itself.

Maybe they confused the Cooks.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Brian was clearly talking about PS:T.

Fairfax

Arcane
There's a bunch of people who contributed more than Monte Cook and McComb.
Cook wrote 3 modules afaik (too lazy to check atm):
Tales of the Infinite Staircase: This one was...ok. It was well written, but poorly designed.
Dead Gods: It had one major flaw in the ending, but overall it was pretty good.
Great Modron March (with McComb): Everything about this one was terrible.

Brian was clearly talking about PS:T.
Except Monte Cook never worked on PS:T...

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
G Ziets has a nice voice

They should definitely keep that narrator (which is the audio guy right?)

Performance looks like it's been improved a lot since the alpha which is good, might jump in for a play in February

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Tales of the Infinite Staircase: This one was...ok. It was well written, but poorly designed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planes_of_Conflict

Planes of Conflict was designed by Dale Donovan, Colin McComb, and Monte Cook,

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17278/Planes-of-Conflict-2e?it=1

About the Creators. The majority of Planes of Conflict was produced by Donovan and McComb, with Cook writing the monsters. This was one of Donovan's first major contributions to D&D, alongside Player's Option: Skills & Powers (1995). McComb was a more experienced D&D author, with three previous Planescape products to his credit, including Planes of Law (1995). He'd go on to produce some of Planescape's pivotal products in the next two years, often alongside Cook.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17280/The-Planewalkers-Handbook-2e?it=1

The Planewalker's Handbook (1996) is by Monte Cook, and I should make my biases known up front: I think this one of the top five products ever put out by TSR. Any book that seeks to give players a feel for the campaign setting without overwhelming them should take their lessons from The Planewalker's Handbook. It's a joy to read, gorgeous to look at, and has a great mix of campaign setting flavor, essential knowledge, and useful rules crunch.

Fairfax

Arcane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planes_of_Conflict

Planes of Conflict was designed by Dale Donovan, Colin McComb, and Monte Cook,

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17278/Planes-of-Conflict-2e?it=1

About the Creators. The majority of Planes of Conflict was produced by Donovan and McComb, with Cook writing the monsters. This was one of Donovan's first major contributions to D&D, alongside Player's Option: Skills & Powers (1995). McComb was a more experienced D&D author, with three previous Planescape products to his credit, including Planes of Law (1995). He'd go on to produce some of Planescape's pivotal products in the next two years, often alongside Cook.
By modules I meant adventure modules. That's just one of the setting books, and as you can see, Monte Cook only made the monsters. I think they all had a couple of introductory quests, but that was it.

kazgar

Arcane

Maybe they confused the Cooks.

Maybe its a case of too many Cooks?

Fairfax

Arcane
Forgot about Hellbound, that one was pretty good. Didn't know Faction War was by Monte Cook. It's the worst Planescape adventure. It didn't help that it was supposed to wrap up a bunch of plots from other adventures.

Trip

Learned
God, but wasn't that Blevins guy a tool. Tales of Numenera? Played Rpgs since he was "super" little?TTON not in the "exact same world" as PST? Talk about IGN professionalism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom