Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Latelistener

Arcane
Solution: convert the game to popamole at the last minute.
AdoredBleakGlassfrog-size_restricted.gif

mastroego

Arcane
I remember the enthusiasm with all of these kickstarters.
Yet I didn't back PoE (instinct!) and backed torment with just $5 dollars solely because my Debt Card was dry (not gonna use the Credit Card on the net) and I didn't feel like rushing to recharge it.

In a way, so, I was already somewhat disillusioned.
Well, I guess I was an aging gamer even 3 years ago.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, this was an unfortunate turn of events. 2012/2013 seem like a decade ago.

In b4 Obsidian decides to paste Tyranny mechanics into the next Pillars game: four companions and console/PC dual release.

that could only make the game better

A larger point is that *if* Obsidian did that there would be little basis for being mad at them because so far they haven't pitched they're making more Infinity Engine revivals or asked for money to accomplish it.

Fairfax

Arcane
but I expected they would at least delay the console release six months to maintain the illusion of it being a port

Are you joking? Current situation with Torment is miles better. Wasteland 2 made me fell like a sucker who bought the game and was beta testing it for console players who got final product.

Let's review.

Torment acquired characteristics of a CINO (cRPG in name only) like a year ago when it announced a design parameter of 4-man party when Torment tradition would suggest a 6 person squad and the other inXile RPG could have a team of 7. After that announcement, a brief period of PC exclusivity was really just formality to preserve the illusion this was indeed a cRPG and that console versions were ports that's interfaces and finer details had to be reasoned out later.

Now with a dual release, there isn't even any formality. This isn't a cRPG, anymore than the first Xcom remake was a cRPG or Kotor was a cRPG or Dragon Age: Origins was a cRPG.

Now, that being said, Torment could be 50,000 times funner to play than Wasteland 2 ever was. The overall production and release of the game could be 50,000 better than the overall production and release of Wasteland 2.

Doesn't change the conclusion of that review at all. This is not a sincere attempt to release a cRPG when a cRPG was pitched in the KickStarter.

4 person party
Turn-based
Shitty Numenera setting
Social justice
MCA only writing a companion
Unity
Console release

It's practically Planescape: Torment 2!

Duraframe300

Arcane
Meh, VGChartz is extremely unreliable... but if sales payed the port and the wages of some inXile employees, it is kind of a success.

They're not only unreliable they have been a joke for years. Well documented at that.
No idea why people of the codex of all things takes them seriously.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fargo's relationship with EA goes back to 1985, when he made the original Bard's Tale for the then fledgling publisher. 28 years on, he's still making innovative games for the PC market; but does he have any plans to bring his latest games to current or next-generation consoles? After all, Torment won't release until 2015. "It’s certainly possible and technically feasible," he says. "However, we’ve gone to the crowd and they’ve given us money for a very specific purpose, which is to put our games on the PC, Mac and Linux. So that’s where we’re expending 100% of our efforts. We don’t spend any of our time wondering whether it can or can’t be done on consoles, because that isn’t our charter. Our charter is to deliver these first versions".

I don't see your point. In their latest kickstarter update InXile writes as followes:

In addition to helping with the PC version of the game, we are pleased to announce that Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4. For those of you who backed Torment and are wondering, "how does this affect the game?" the answer is rather simple, it doesn't.

Torment was developed for the PC and the release on consoles won't affect the game. Especially since Torment has been in development for years and the only thing left to do is some polish and localization. The benefit of a console release is greater sales and thus more resources for the next game.

mud

Literate
Apan so you are going to trust him now when he lied years ago? Fool me once...
that said, not surprising considering InXile's company track record
I hope console porting truly won't mean fully voice acted dialogue, i have really tired of this gimmick
I'm sure it will still be fun enough to give it a spin on release anyway

Weasel
As others have said, it was obvious as soon as they went with a 4 man party that the day would come when they suddenly discovered the game would also work well on consoles "without affecting the pc game", while fitting in surprisingly perfectly with the much delayed pc release date. Pretty standard pattern, guess they spun it a bit better than the likes of Sword Coast Legends.

Oh well, the last bit of 2012 hype dies off and I can go back to expecting everything to be shit, with the odd pleasant surprise on the upside from less heralded outfits.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Animations sure look like shit.

And the graphics feel like they're emulating some anime epic. All those colorful special effects, my eyes.

It's this damn setting. Monte Cook :argh:

Plus the bland "epic incoming" music.

Could still turn out good because Colin + Ziets, but goddamn, I paid good money for... this?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Why is it that damn hard to find anyone that isn't willing to lie to you? Jesus, there isn't a single straightfoward and honest company on this planet.

NullFlow

Savant
Aesthetically pretty poor, but what can you expect from a Kickstarter budget. Not so sure a console release will be worth it considering the PC fanbase are going to consume 90% of the copies, and maybe a few adventurous console gamers will buy it.

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
Animations sure look like shit.

And the graphics feel like they're emulating some anime epic. All those colorful special effects, my eyes.

It's this damn setting. Monte Cook :argh:

Plus the bland "epic incoming" music.

Could still turn out good because Colin + Ziets, but goddamn, I paid good money for... this?

I was annoyed by all his talk about "persons of color" but this turns out to be even worse.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
but I expected they would at least delay the console release six months to maintain the illusion of it being a port

Are you joking? Current situation with Torment is miles better. Wasteland 2 made me fell like a sucker who bought the game and was beta testing it for console players who got final product.

Let's review.

Torment acquired characteristics of a CINO (cRPG in name only) like a year ago when it announced a design parameter of 4-man party when Torment tradition would suggest a 6 person squad and the other inXile RPG could have a team of 7. After that announcement, a brief period of PC exclusivity was really just formality to preserve the illusion this was indeed a cRPG and that console versions were ports that's interfaces and finer details had to be reasoned out later.

Now with a dual release, there isn't even any formality. This isn't a cRPG, anymore than the first Xcom remake was a cRPG or Kotor was a cRPG or Dragon Age: Origins was a cRPG.

Now, that being said, Torment could be 50,000 times funner to play than Wasteland 2 ever was. The overall production and release of the game could be 50,000 better than the overall production and release of Wasteland 2.

Doesn't change the conclusion of that review at all. This is not a sincere attempt to release a cRPG when a cRPG was pitched in the KickStarter.

Wow, I never realized you were so edgy, MG. You always talk about inXile's inevitable Wasteland: New Vegas with this vibe of underlying glee - I thought you were looking forward to it.

(Needless to say, that's not what "cRPG" means)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fargo's relationship with EA goes back to 1985, when he made the original Bard's Tale for the then fledgling publisher. 28 years on, he's still making innovative games for the PC market; but does he have any plans to bring his latest games to current or next-generation consoles? After all, Torment won't release until 2015. "It’s certainly possible and technically feasible," he says. "However, we’ve gone to the crowd and they’ve given us money for a very specific purpose, which is to put our games on the PC, Mac and Linux. So that’s where we’re expending 100% of our efforts. We don’t spend any of our time wondering whether it can or can’t be done on consoles, because that isn’t our charter. Our charter is to deliver these first versions".

I don't see your point. In their latest kickstarter update InXile writes as followes:

In addition to helping with the PC version of the game, we are pleased to announce that Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4. For those of you who backed Torment and are wondering, "how does this affect the game?" the answer is rather simple, it doesn't.

Torment was developed for the PC and the release on consoles won't affect the game. Especially since Torment has been in development for years and the only thing left to do is some polish and localization. The benefit of a console release is greater sales and thus more resources for the next game.

You would be right. I am looking forward to it -- I liked New Vegas and Fallout 4 was terrible. I am looking forward to Torment too.

I'm upset because the priorities that seem to have motivated the production of this game aren't (ergo "don't feel like") the same priorities they pitched to backers.

Well, that part just sort of amused me, since I had already accepted it was the case back when the 4-man party was announced. I was still amused by the "PC/Console dual release", even though this had been pitched as a computer RPG.

I wasn't upset until the blithe line, "this doesn't affect..." when it is clear their entire development has been motivated by the desire to depart from the Infinity Engine and cRPGs whenever these elements serve as an impediment to expanding Torment's audience.

Doesn't that sort of remind you of another company that is controversial on this forum?

Last edited:

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
I just wonder - Deus Ex from 2000 had working mirrors.
Then some cataclysm happened, no one know why but working mirrors turned out to be "long forgotten knowelege of precursors".

We are at RPGCodex here. Doom 3 doesn't count, like Mass Deffect.

Consoles happened. Mirrors are actually fairly easy so long as they don't look at each other directly. Even that you could deal with by using a slightly different means.

Even many shitty hobbyist engines have mirrors for god's sake.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wasn't upset until the blithe line, "this doesn't affect..." when it is clear their entire development has been motivated by the desire to depart from the Infinity Engine and cRPGs whenever these elements serve as an impediment to expanding Torment's audience.

Doesn't that sort of remind you of another company that is controversial on this forum?

I think this was meant to be a response to me?

I guess I might be more worried if I hadn't already played the game. It's a PC RPG, it's going to be fine.

Last edited:

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
it's not the kickstarter monies, it's Techlands money. And it's not a console game, it's developed for PC.

I know that the concept is amazingly challenging for the average retarded human but you either have a console game or a not console game. There's no such thing as a PC game that just happens to work on consoles. Because PC games don't work on consoles and require a huge amount of dumbing down.

WHICH IS THE ORIGINAL REASON WE STOPPED GETTING GOOD RPGS!!!!

And which is why WL 2 was mediocre shit and a lot of the reason this will be even more shit. Wow obvious reality is such a concept.

I will never get tards like you seriously...they just decided one day no more hardcore RPGs? No, there was a reason.

mastroego

Arcane
Why is it that damn hard to find anyone that isn't willing to lie to you? Jesus, there isn't a single straightfoward and honest company on this planet.
Yeah. The game might actually be decent, but you eventually get tired of being lied to literally by everyone: politicians, journalists, "old school" game developers...
Well, anyway. It's not like I invested a lot in this, not even time. We'll see.

Off to play Talisman, Blood Moon was released today...

a mod

Formlery Melanoma
Yeah. The game might actually be decent,

Well, that's the problem, eh?

WL2 was "decent" but I don't pay so I can play a "decent" game. I play in hopes of getting a really good fucking game, not something to just kill some time.

When they are worrying about console market then decent is the best you will ever get, because they are just giving you the minimum they can to get your PC dollars so they can go after the ten times larger console market.

I really had a lot of hopes when WL 2 was pitched, and in just a few years the incline has swept right on past into the decline just like it already did in the 90s and 2000s except this time even faster.

If I want "decent" then I can go play mass effect. Which at least has Miranda's ass.

Andhaira

Arcane
I got to admit, the trailer looks shit. It does not make me excited to play the game at all.

PoE looked much better, despite being RTwP.

It could be I am burned out on these kickstarter games and the like and having outgrown gaming to an extent and mainly being short on time, but still. It also doesn't help that Numenera the RPG game is shit. Has some good ideas like players making all the rolls, but overall execution and lack of options make it a bomb.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom