Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Eurogamer has the scoop on the hottest news of the month:

PC role-playing game Torment: Tides of Numenera will also be released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Torment publisher Techland confirmed the news to our friends at Eurogamer Poland today, along with word that all three versions will launch simultaneously in early 2017.

Torment's console port was greenlit after the success of Wasteland 2 on consoles, Brian Fargo, boss of developer inXile told EG Poland.

"Wasteland 2: Director's Cut success and the gratitude expressed by a lot of fans after this release made us begin to plan the Torment: Tides of Numenera for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One," Fargo said.

"We're especially excited to work with Techland, who - as a fellow developers - know exactly how to execute such a release without compromising the quality."

Console versions of the game will get their public debut at Gamescom in Cologne, in just under two weeks.

Does that mean Torment will be fully voiced now?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You know, I said this was going to happen the moment they announced a 4 man party. :M

Nice trailer though.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
"Success of Wasteland 2 on consoles" - I was under the impression that both W2 and D:OS console versions sold like shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Success of Wasteland 2 on consoles" - I was under the impression that both W2 and D:OS console versions sold like shit.

That impression turned out to be mistaken - VGChartz just took a while to get the sales data. They didn't sell a whole lot but it was a decent percentage of the PC sales.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meh, VGChartz is extremely unreliable... but if sales payed the port and the wages of some inXile employees, it is kind of a success.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fun fact: this is inXile's first game to get a simultaneous multiplatform release since Choplifter HD.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
VGchartz aside, you know that Divinity: Original Sin didn't sell like shit because years later it is still selling for $40 at retail.

Incidentally, same reason you know why HBS Golem Arcana didn't sell like shit.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More food for thought: console versions tend to leak long before the PC version because of the lack of Steam DRM (see: No Man's Sky right now). That means that we may very well have spoilers for the entire plot and a video LP before the PC version is released.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think we already have spoilers for the full plot because of Unity's ease of decompilation.

Fairfax

Arcane
all three versions will launch simultaneously in early 2017.

Fargo's relationship with EA goes back to 1985, when he made the original Bard's Tale for the then fledgling publisher. 28 years on, he's still making innovative games for the PC market; but does he have any plans to bring his latest games to current or next-generation consoles? After all, Torment won't release until 2015. "It’s certainly possible and technically feasible," he says. "However, we’ve gone to the crowd and they’ve given us money for a very specific purpose, which is to put our games on the PC, Mac and Linux. So that’s where we’re expending 100% of our efforts. We don’t spend any of our time wondering whether it can or can’t be done on consoles, because that isn’t our charter. Our charter is to deliver these first versions".

fargo1iuqy.jpg

Fairfax

Arcane
I think we already have spoilers for the full plot because of Unity's ease of decompilation.

Link?
The text files of the beta version don't even need decompilation. The full plot isn't there, but there are lines from the endgame, the Codex easter egg, the companions (including two which have been cut), most areas and quests, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
New Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/1647389

Chris here for some important and exciting news. Last update we teased that we’re working with a new publisher on Torment. For those who have not yet seen the news that broke shortly after, we are pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Techland Publishing. You might know Techland as having developed some excellent games including Dying Light and Call of Juarez, but they have also done regional publishing and distribution on titles for many years now. With Torment, they are making the move to global publishing.

The partnership is something we are very excited about. Techland will be handling retail distribution, marketing the game, and physical backer rewards come release. This allows us to focus the vast majority of our resources on development of the game itself. They are an experienced team and are able to lend their expertise on a number of fronts, while we can spend more time working directly in the world of Torment.

Techland is offering a partnership with a full understanding of Torment's legacy and goals as a narrative-driven RPG, and they want it to succeed as much as we do. As developers themselves, Techland has a great understanding of how important it is to stick to your vision, so we will be keeping full creative control over the game. We look forward to working with them to deliver a quality release we can all be proud of.

This isn't the only component to our partnership, however. In addition to helping with the PC version of the game, we are pleased to announce that Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

For those of you who backed Torment and are wondering, "how does this affect the game?" the answer is rather simple, it doesn't. Torment was developed from the ground up as a successor to the legacy of the original Planescape: Torment. Those of you who have played the beta will see that it is a rich, deep RPG full of involving quests, characters and a world full of detail.

You'll also likely know that this isn't our first rodeo when it comes to consoles. With Wasteland 2: Director's Cut on Xbox and PS4, we proved that it was possible to bring all the depth of a PC style RPG to new audiences without sacrificing the tactical complexity and scope, and with Torment our approach is not changing. As developers, we're pleased to bring the game to even more players, and with the success of WL2: DC critically, commercially and among our fans, it had long since been in our plans to do a console version of Torment.

Most importantly, you might be wondering if this affects our timeline for the game beyond what we've previously said. We have great news for you there: it will not! We talked about our production timeline in the last update, and how our plans to localize and polish the game meant we are looking at an early Q1 2017 release. When looking at our production timeline, it became clear that our art, design, and engineering resources were becoming available, giving us the opportunity to bring the game to consoles without affecting the PC version and overall timeline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom