Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Alpha Systems Test Launched

Stinger

Arcane
I think J_C should write the first of 7 TTON reviews.

Sure, if the main difference between humans and non-humans is the number of toes. So you're plummeting down to your doom, yet you have time to check the number of toes? Fingers - sure. Toes require an effort (when you're preoccupied with falling) and a strange attention to details. You don't inspect your face (what you don't have any ears but small holes or what if you have 3 eyes or pointed teeth or forked tongue), just fingers and toes. Like I said, it struck me as odd but it's a minor thing and I'm not complaining.

Maybe our main hero has a foot fetish? It is a predefined character after all :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're talking about the 'spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment' here. When the beta hits, it will be much worse than PoE threads.

I question whether the Codex has it within itself to flip out to that degree about a game with turn-based combat and no trash mobs. Issues of story and writing alone don't seem sufficient to unleash that broad scale of lunacy. But I'm ready to be proven wrong

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
i already hate the controls just by watching! to build momentum instead of instant speed, to rotate in an arch instead of flipping instantly... this kinda shit is annoying in third person action games. it's so much worse in an isometric crpg. it looks and feels totally clunky.

Kalasanty11

Learned
Issues of story and writing alone don't seem sufficient to unleash that broad scale of lunacy
Planescape: Torment IS story and writing. In Numenera every issue with combat will be excused if story and writing will be great. At least I think so.

i already hate the controls just by watching! to build momentum instead of instant speed, to rotate in an arch instead of flipping instantly... this kinda shit is annoying in third person action games. it's so much worse in an isometric crpg. it looks and feels totally clunky.
This bothered me as well. And it seems like they decided on this type of control from the very beginning (see their first trailer). Say what you want about PoE, but I believe the control scheme there was adequate at least.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think that's a slightly wrong criticism because that's actually not a descriptive passage. It's a point-of-view sentence that's supposed to convey the characters' darkly humorous realization that 'terminal' also means 'deadly'. But you're right in that it would be good writing if only it was to the fucking point. Something like:
"It suddenly strikes you that 'terminal' has another meaning, a considerably nastier one."
Not quite. The Terminal velocity is where the acceleration of an object is zero and describes more the maximal end speed of an object in an environment, where the forces, like earth gravity and drag cancel each other out or are equalised.
So if you fall you are accelerated towards a certain speed and because of the drag, which grows with your falling speed, you cannot fall faster.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=terminal+velocity+of+a+human&lk=4&num=1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity

While a fall from even one meter or below 4.4m/s can be even deadly if you fall on your head and break your neck. So there is quite the difference between terminal velocity of a human (56m/s) or deadly velocity for a human.
This could have been interesting but sadly it is behind a springer pay wall:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10741482

Last edited:

SniperHF

Arcane
Is there a way to send feedback not from the ingame form? It works strangely.

You can yell at them on the InXile forum with the alpha password from your email.

It's low trafficked to the point that BN, Sea, and tonurics AKA Jason Dora will see it. But you could probably accomplish the same thing by yelling at them on the codex too :M

Ulrox

Arbiter
I question whether the Codex has it within itself to flip out to that degree about a game with turn-based combat and no trash mobs. Issues of story and writing alone don't seem sufficient to unleash that broad scale of lunacy. But I'm ready to be proven wrong

I suspect that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be the codex's game of the year and game of the century. I have not yet seen anyone or anything within the tons of articles that point towards this game being bad, but then again, I'm an optimist at heart and might be wrong.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I suspect that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be the codex's game of the year and game of the century. I have not yet seen anyone or anything within the tons of articles that point towards this game being bad, but then again, I'm an optimist at heart and might be wrong.
Seven times shall we play it and seven times shall we review it and only then we'll know the truth.

Love those cuck tags.

Coincidentally, I think JC is right that they should be cautious not to over-novelize the game, but it looks fine to me now although I'm not playing it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C has some controversial game opinions, but otherwise he's alright. #UTWinners

:greatjob:

How did you score Infinitron's cuck tag J_C ?
I don't know, it just appeared. :) Infinitron probably transferred his for shits and giggles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom