Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #61: Release Date - February 28th, 2017

Longshanks

Augur
It's so funny that it has fewer owners on Steamspy than people who backed the Kickstarter. People outright refusing to activate their keys.
Fans are so excited about this once-in-a-generation game that they want to avoid spoiling it by playing an incomplete beta!

:pangloss:

Purchased on Kickstarter but have not even thought about activating my key for an unreleased game. If I was going to play anything right now it would be one of those already released games that I've bought but hardly touched.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, not always. For example, translation actually makes bethesda writing a little less dumb. Translators have some dignity you see.

duanth123

Arcane
Asheron's Call! That said, the Eurogamer review does make some sensible points, along with some silly ones ("And you will find yourself dying a lot, because the game is bloody hard!" "It's also a little disappointing that the game has no multiplayer support.").

Ah, the typical template review.

durr too hard
hurr no multiplayer

No matter the kind of game, no matter how inappropriate, the rats in the guise of gaming journalists must follow the same path.

I actually think any games journalist who criticises a game for not having multiplayer should be killed.

I have a feeling that many games journalists secretly long for death at this point.

A truer punishment would be to force them to play games like Planescape Torment and then write factually accurate retrospectives

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
just like Planescape was
I think it is wrong info.'
I remmeber I have read some Russian game magazine where some chart was published, something like top 100 - I clearly remember that according to that chart P:T was topseller for at least two weeks before BG2 was released.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't say the game sold poorly. I said it disappointed (sold less than desired/expected)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's so funny that it has fewer owners on Steamspy than people who backed the Kickstarter. People outright refusing to activate their keys.
Fans are so excited about this once-in-a-generation game that they want to avoid spoiling it by playing an incomplete beta!

:pangloss:

I see what you did there.

It's entirely possible that this game is going to be a commercial disappointment, just like Planescape was. Lots of people on the Codex have developed this idea that inXile is "Brian Fargo popamole", not noticing that they've clearly been the nichiest of the big three Kickstarter devs. Wasteland 2 with 7 character party, dozens of skills, turn-based combat, a wall of text Torment game, and a frigging blobber.

Is Wasteland 3 a betrayal, or do inXile have no choice but to escape the niche they've found themselves buried in (which hasn't even gotten them much credit from the RPG Codex)?

Torment not selling well at launch is obviously possible, but I think its lifetime sales will be good regardless because of the legacy it is part of.

Worth noting is that I wouldn't necessarily expect these niche RPGs to sell well at launch anymore because of glut and disappointment, but any game that has true exceptional quality (such as Dragonfall) will have good sales in the end (such as Dragonfall).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom