Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #59: World of Numenera Trailer, Polish & Interface Improvements

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's up with the choppy walking animations in the trailer btw?

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9879

"Torment is an emotionally driven thought provoking game. My vision is to have the characters movement enhance this feeling."
"A thought occurred to you: My god, every inhabitant of this weird world of ours has Parkinson's disease!"

hpstg

Savant
Par for the course for inXile.

Torment was never going to be a graphics lover's paradise anyway; this is how the game currently looks:

This looks like Generic Unity Shovelware v0.3. I wouldn't care if it was a low budget indie effort, but it's the sequel to a game that looked like this almost 20 years ago:

planescape+before.png

:hmmm:

hpstg

Savant
The decline is real.
Most InXile games seem to have very under par artwork, with the Bard's Tale 4 original Kickstarter pitch being the sole exception. Its subsequent videos were bland again. I wonder how many people who got bored by WL2 would change their opinion if it had the art team from, let's say, PoE working on it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think it's just the camera zoom that has more range than it should, the map is not meant to be seen from that distance.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A new definition of decline:

Graphical quality so subpar that you cannot tell apart Eddie Murphy from Lando Calrissian.

hpstg

Savant
I think it's just the camera zoom that has more range than it should, the map is not meant to be seen from that distance.

Look at the sizes of the characters in each shot, in relation to the items around them and the general viewport. The zoom is practically identical between the old and the new. It's just that on the new one, the art is not on par. Hell, PoE had the same default zoom level and it was top notch, using the same engine as the new Torment is using.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh the art is blurry. It's either zoomed in too closely, or there's some kind of rendering glitch.

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
Uh the art is blurry. It's obviously zoomed in too closely.

My guess is that it's zoomed it something like 30% more than Planescape. It still looks like crap though. The contrast, the design of the characters and the whole palette is utter shit. You have to wonder. This game basically has 2D backgrounds that any computer can draw, they could do so much more with their 3D characters. Look at this crap:

UKadwds.jpg

It's obviously more zoomed in (around 25-30% is my guess), but even if Planescape was more zoomed in, still the differences in art quality are fucking staggering.

XcWCFFP.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a cherry-picked shot. Google for some screenshots, that's not representative of how T:ToN looks like.

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most InXile games seem to have very under par artwork, with the Bard's Tale 4 original Kickstarter pitch being the sole exception. Its subsequent videos were bland again. I wonder how many people who got bored by WL2 would change their opinion if it had the art team from, let's say, PoE working on it.

Bard's Tale has the dubious privilege of giving Brian Fargo the biggest, most awe inspiring boner he has ever had in his life, or at least the largest one that he wasn't paying by the hour for. Thus, it was deserving of the maximal graphical treatment and the highest production budget of InEx's franchises.

Incidentally, it's also the InEx franchise that most resembles a pile of steaming garbage.

Coincidence? I think not.

hpstg

Savant
It's a cherry-picked shot. Google for some screenshots, that's not representative of how T:ToN looks like.

Even if it's a cherry picked shot for the ground texture (that looks like shit no matter what you say), just look at the characters and the details on them.

XcWCFFP.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Even if it's a cherry picked shot for the ground texture (that looks like shit no matter what you say), just look at the characters and the details on them.

The characters are a different story, by design I'm afraid:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-go-to-new-thread.79051/page-260#post-2803196
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-tides-of-numenera.91833/page-3#post-3289584

And since they're all wearing robes and cloth, there's not a lot of the variety you get from textured armors in a game like PoE.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I really hope that the animes refferences hasn't gone too far. I don't like animes, I used too, but now I'm old enough to understand that for one ergo proxy we have, thousands of narutos are made every day.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
PLEASE BE GOOD ENOUGH SO I WONT HAVE BACKERS REMORSE
The key is to have remorse before the game is published so thereafter you can only be pleasantly surprised no matter how bad the game turns out.:M

That was my approach to PoE and it worked wonderfully.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom