Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #59: World of Numenera Trailer, Polish & Interface Improvements

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Schwarz; InXile Entertainment; Techland; Torment: Tides of Numenera

inXile published a new Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update today, shortly after the launching of the Wasteland 3 Fig campaign. It's more than just an ad for Wasteland 3, though. Inside the update is a comprehensive look at the myriad of user interface and visual polish tweaks Torment will be receiving in the final months of its development, including changes to the conversation UI and combat UI, addition of tutorial popups, prettified character screens and more. As in last month's update, there's also a new Torment trailer produced by Techland. This one introduces the Ninth World and some of its locations. Here's the trailer and the combat UI segment of the update:

But conversation isn't everything. We've also been taking strides in making combat easier to understand and displaying more information about your characters, abilities, and the battlefield's overall state. This was one of the things that wasn't quite at the level we wanted it, and many of our backers agreed judging by some of the comments we received! As a result, we've added far more information to the Crisis HUD.

To start, you might recall we previously talked about anoetic and occultic actions in earlier updates. Now, we've renamed them to your "move" action and "attack" action to make their uses clearer, and given them appropriate icons that display under your current party member (and turn grey when they've been used up each turn). This hasn't altered or simplified any of the previous gameplay or mechanics at all - for instance, abilities can still consume movement in some cases, or no movement in others - but it's much easier to keep track of which actions are which now.

Additionally, our engineers have rebuilt our tooltips when you mouse over an ability. The system we have now is incredibly robust, showing detailed information which also automatically populates and formats itself based on some simple tags the designers can write. Even special statuses and fettles will auto-fill their effects, so that when designers start doing balance changes, they don't have to manually go in and change the text for everything affected. You'll also see how the action cost is also more clearly indicated, tying in with the changes I mentioned above. On the whole, these tooltips are just more readable, more accurate, and a bit prettier looking than what we previously had.

Expanding on our improved tooltips, we have also added a right-click popup window to every ability in the game which allows you to inspect their full details just like in the Infinity Engine RPGs, and each has more flavorful long-form descriptions we've penned for them for you to read.

One more thing we weren't indicating properly in earlier builds of the game was the maximum range of attacks, as well as the radius of any area-of-effect type abilities. Now, we've added visuals for those so you can clearly see exactly where your abilities will land, letting you line them up just right. Below you can see an example – the thin, orange outer ring shows the maximum range, and the smaller orange circle is the area the ability will affect.

According to the update, the Torment beta will receive one final update to give Kickstarter backers an early look at these tweaks. It's got screenshots of them all, so be sure to check it out and complain about the ones you don't like while there's still time.

Weasel
rating_citation.png
for use of "improvements" in title :negative:

So much decline in one update. Luckily the console release hasn't impacted the pc version or things would have been really bad, with "crisis compasses" and shit.

Howdy

That miel avast place looks as well developed as curst and carceri, so I guess they're doing it right.

hpstg

Savant
I didn't like the tone of the video at all, to be honest. I hope the actual game has the right atmosphere. I'm trying to spoil myself the least possible.

To the people who have played the beta: How's the atmosphere of the game? What are they going for?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I didn't like the tone of the video at all, to be honest. I hope the actual game has the right atmosphere. I'm trying to spoil myself the least possible.

To the people who have played the beta: How's the atmosphere of the game? What are they going for?

Haven't played the latest beta patch because the framerate is unplayable from a shader bug, but the design is good in places, different in others, because the art isn't one unifying realistic style like Sigil had or BG2's human setting areas had. For one, the game's missing sound work that adds to the general feel of immersion, but Sargas Cliffs, the area in the beta, suffers from the fact that art isn't quite unified over each doorway and area. It's a drawback of the setting, which is "all the amazing weird shit you can think of" because that's what they think the Planescape setting represented, go through a loading screen and find a new amazing 8k/8k background that uses a significantly different art palette to the last one. Which is the opposite, in my mind the Planescape setting wasn't you going through the door, it was people coming through the door to meet you in Sigil.

But I do agree that the new shit round the corner viewpoint is a core part of Monty Cook's Numenera setup, so they're being true to that at least. Different shades for different games definitely in progress.

Some of the areas do have a fairly amazing atmosphere, and achieve full immersion from well integrated roleplaying, some of them I can say "yeah this will probably work out in the final release," some of them are weaker areas. I don't feel the overall NPC placement/omg this is such a real pseudo-medieval fantasy city feel that Athkatla had is really there in the market area, which creates a poor atmosphere of any kind, but it is in the government district, which has a really good flavourful Monty Cook setting atmosphere. The majority of the districts does or can do a really good job at "this is a really cool airship port, this is a really cool industrial underground, this is a really cool sci-fi ruins drenched in salt water," at times.

hpstg

Savant
I just find that the more areas I see, the more disjointed they look. Torment had really tight art direction and each of its areas had cohesion. Here I can't even see it in the same map. I hope I'm proven wrong and it's ok during actual gameplay and not a promotional video from Techland, which is the publisher known for fucking up the atmosphere of the final game in its promos.

These guys somehow managed to make Dying Light an "underground" hit, while it was probably the greatest Borderlands out there.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wait, they also gave up on 4Xp to get increase in your character skill, 16 xp to get to next character Tier and went with standard you gained 250 xp deal?!
So they added health stat, changed Effort from what I read, removed GM intrusions and spending XP to reroll bad rolls and now also gave up on cool XP system Numenera has?! ?!

:rage:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Looks great, actually. I think a lot of the UI stuff can be disabled, or at least I hope so. Quest Objectives etc, looks a little console. If they're smart, they make the UI able to be costumized on the PC.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Can't think of anything more awesome in this forum.

I need to book a holiday when it comes out.

And God Bless BT4 for letting me add this game to my pledge donation.

RPG s had a good few years. It's a new era!

The atmosphere of the game is LESS morbid than Planescape.

don't get me wrong, there's morbid in there alright.

But, the first thing that comes to my mind, when thinking of the game atmosphere is: craziness, mysterious and WTF - This is soooo cool!!!

or, if you want a shorter summary:

Less undead More awesome Machines!!!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, they also gave up on 4Xp to get increase in your character skill, 16 xp to get to next character Tier and went with standard you gained 250 xp deal?!

No, read the update more closely.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes he said something about adding lots of XP with cheat but that does not mean they will be using 4/16 xp system, if he adde 50 xp for that effect it would have been enough. But Numenera Xp system does not mean much for this game if they removed all uses from it except leveling up.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Actually, they did change it. Don't you own the game?

The system in Torment is explained in the screenshots below. You get an xp bar that can hold a couple hundred points; each time it's filled, you gain an advancement step. The current alpha gives you a steady trickle of xp for selecting "informative" conversation options (presumably to keep mainstream gamers from falling asleep while reading) and also rewards you with bigger chunks of xp for completing quests. So far I've seen no evidence of being able to spend xp on things other than tiering up.

UrVbVEh.png

D2gTFno.png

g3TL0fF.png

Last edited:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
So they added health stat, changed Effort from what I read, removed GM intrusions and spending XP to reroll bad rolls and now also gave up on cool XP system Numenera has?! ?!

:rage:
I call it... Nu-numenera.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Actually, they did change it. Don't you own the game?

Yes, I own the game.

But if you're saying it's always been like this then ArchAngel is out of touch too. And apparently nobody noticed or cared enough to mention it. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom