Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #55: Brief Update, Nathan Long Novella Released

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Thought I already answered this: Yes. It's good in all fronts, really. Much better than the competition, as I've explained.

Both in quantity and quality, it's heaps and bounds ahead of D:OS, Shadowrun, Underrail and even PoE.

But you didn’t. First, I have my doubts about the game having such superior writing than these games you mentioned. But even if had better writing than these games, that is not a big accomplishment because the standards of the industry are set elsewhere, with games like FO or PS:T. The fact that they hired a bunch of writers and invest a lot of funding in writing, just make the game look even worse in comparison.

But ANYTHING of todays is shittier than standards of FO and PS:T. That's the point. WL2, TTON and AoE is what comes the CLOSEST to the old era cRPGs. Everything else blends in comparison. That's what I'm saying.

I never said WL2, AoE or TTON are or will be better than things such a PS:T or FO. Ever. That's not what we're discussing tho.

But these games aren’t Shakespeare material. We tend to praise them above the rest because the standards of the industry are pretty low. Besides, you talk about these games as if they were monoliths of uniform writing and tone. They aren’t. FO, FO2 and PS:T all have their bits of shitty writing, shitty quests and retarded stuff. You talked as if we had a golden age when developers were smarter and now we have these other games among which W2 is better, but that is silly. How about FO:NV and MotB that are also part of the standard for writing? They came years later. How about AoD? It pushes the standards to a completely new level. The writing is so much better that anything that came before, including PS:T. W2 adds nothing new, and do everything poorly and amateurish. It doesn’t have the exploration of Underrail or the writing and combat system of AoD. It’s just another superficial and rushed kickstarter game, nothing more. But hey, it has a bunch of big names in it, like Fargo and Avellone, so it must be good, right? It must be, no matter what. Not, it isn’t. There is nothing to see here, gents. Move along.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The writing is so much better that anything that came before, including PS:T.

And when I thought you couldn't be a bigger suckup retardo fanbot.
Just fuck off.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The writing is so much better that anything that came before, including PS:T.

And when I thought you couldn't be a bigger suckup retardo fanbot.
Just fuck off.

You hate AoD for the same reason they praise W2. You both give too much importance to the pedigree of the developers involved.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You both give too much importance to the pedigree of the developers involved

Yeah, keep telling yourself the reason I hate AoD is VD and not that it's just a shit game with shit writing.

Also, calling you on retarded shit like "better writing than Torment" has nothing to do with it. I could've just as well liked AoD and still think saying its writing is better is fucking retarded.

No, in fact, I think you might like AoD because of developer pedigree. You just have some infatuation with VD, like that Blood Angel or whatever the fuck his name was. Yeah, it all makes sense now.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Can't we wait for the full release with the judgement mob justice? This game might actually be some fun.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You both give too much importance to the pedigree of the developers involved

Yeah, keep telling yourself the reason I hate AoD is VD and not that it's just a shit game with shit writing.

Also, calling you on retarded shit like "better writing than Torment" has nothing to do with it. I could've just as well liked AoD and still think saying its writing is better is fucking retarded.

No, in fact, I think you might like AoD because of developer pedigree. You just have some infatuation with VD, like that Blood Angel or whatever the fuck his name was. Yeah, it all makes sense now.

The last time I checked, AoD passed the 45k units mark, which guarantee they are funded for their next game. The user reviews on Steam, GoG and metacritic are extremely positive. Comparisons with FO and other classics are common. Even most of the players who bitched about PoE and W2, now praise the game. This is a huge achievement, especially if we consider that we are talking about the debut of four indie developers. No big names, no help from the press, no kickstarter, no nothing. Of course, a petty individual who holds a grudge with the brain behind the game can choose to ignore all the evidence and dismiss the game. He has the right of being irrational and putting his personal grudges above all else. But this won’t make a bit of difference.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I notice a trend among superficial posters. They try to use edginess and the local hate currency to hide the fact that they don't have any meaningful insight. They don’t understand that edginess without real content is just a childish nuisance, a noise. If you keep like this, you will be banned to retardoland in no time.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
meaningful insight
I could type out a 500-word mini-essay, and demolish most of your points, but honestly, it's unwarranted effort. Unlike you, I honestly don't care; I'm content with laughing at dumb fucks like yourself, and calling you names. Sure as fuck makes my workhours a helluva lot more fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom