Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #55: Brief Update, Nathan Long Novella Released

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A functioning game with lots of c&c nearly always beats a game with nearly none (therefore WL2 > Underrail).
A functioning game with a somewhat serious story is nearly always better than a game with s purely lulzy story (therefore WL2 > D:OS).

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
A functioning game with lots of c&c nearly always beats a game with nearly none (therefore WL2 > Underrail).
A functioning game with a somewhat serious story is nearly always better than a game with s purely lulzy story (therefore WL2 > D:OS).

Not really, because a game can be great without being functioning, i.e., having lots of bugs (see VM:B, Arcanum, Prelude to Darkness, etc.). In order to be great, a game need to be remarkable in more than one aspect. W2 has lots of C&C, but also has filler design that counters it, shitty writing, etc. D:OS has shitty writing, shitty MMO art, idiotic quests and shitty combat. Some players think the combat is great because it is broken with overpowered combos and innovated with environment stuff. For me they are all closet popamole fans.

This thread about T:ToN is turning into a “Wasteland 2 vs all the other cRPGs” thread. Well done, guys and trannies!

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
D:OS has shitty writing, shitty MMO art, idiotic quests and shitty combat. Some players think the combat is great because it is broken with overpowered combos and innovated with environment stuff. For me they are all closet popamole fans.
At least on that we totally agree.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
And we must again thank Styg and Charon for making Underrail.
59f554024cb56ae944a14a5aee320d0e.jpg

Mustawd

Hard to argue that with your post history, hiver. But at least hiver was genuine. You're definitely a wannabe.

Lol. I wish I could have seen your face when you saw us figure it out. I mean, it's kind of funny considering you only created this alt on Tuesday of last week. Barely took a week to figure out which shitposter you really are.

All the cool kids must really love you.

Pretty much.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Tell me, how much of a sad, lonely faggot does a man need to be to actively get involved in forum drama and concern himself with e-tards and their 'opinions'? I'll gladly debate any of you cucks, but fuck me if I remember your names even 10min later. I weep for your lineage, cuck.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Could be, I needed more than 172 posts to get mine and it wasn't for the kind of posting he did :)

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Interestingly, WL2 get shit on for the quest design, C&C, writing and story (and more, which is kind of validated)

Yet, it is factually the 2nd best (AoE 1st) cRPG in terms of C&C, quest design and overall coherencey in the story.
The story might be cheesey, lame or boring, but it is coherent, and it does contain mass amounts of C&C, even Arizona.

So let's look at the other top competitors in terms of C&C, overall story, and writing and quest design.

D:OS? Lol, no.
Underrail? RPG GOTY no question, but the story? The C&C? Writing? Nah, not that great tbh.
Shadowun? Lol.
PoE? Nope

AoE is the best one, and it looks to be topped by TTON when it releases.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess C&C alone is not one thing to rule them all. No matter how much people claim it is.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
WL2 it is factually the 2nd best (AoD 1st) cRPG in terms of C&C, quest design and overall coherencey in the story.

Maybe in the war “quantity has a quality all its own”, but not in games. Quantity never trumps quality. FO, FO2, Arcanum and MotB all have less writing and reactivity than W2, but they all have better writing and reactivity than W2. You can’t just take a single characteristic of a game in a vacuum to say it is better than others, because it has more of this characteristic. That is like saying a random book is better than other one because it has more pages or words in it. It’s a crude and simplistic way of seeing things. What you really should be asking is this: Was the writing and reactivity in W2 any good? Are the writing and reactivity supported by quest design?

AoE is the best one, and it looks to be topped by TTON when it releases.

You mean AoD. As I just said, is not just about the quantity of C&C, but the quality of C&C. VD is a well-read and mature individual, a rare species among developers. The writing is top notch and AoD have accumulated content for almost ten years of design. I don’t think that anyone, including Iron Tower itself, would ever surpass that.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
WL2 it is factually the 2nd best (AoD 1st) cRPG in terms of C&C, quest design and overall coherencey in the story.

What you really should be asking is this: Was the writing and reactivity in W2 any good? Are the writing and reactivity supported by quest design?

Thought I already answered this: Yes. It's good in all fronts, really. Much better than the competition, as I've explained.

Both in quantity and quality, it's heaps and bounds ahead of D:OS, Shadowrun, Underrail and even PoE.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Thought I already answered this: Yes. It's good in all fronts, really. Much better than the competition, as I've explained.

Both in quantity and quality, it's heaps and bounds ahead of D:OS, Shadowrun, Underrail and even PoE.

But you didn’t. First, I have my doubts about the game having such superior writing than these games you mentioned. But even if had better writing than these games, that is not a big accomplishment because the standards of the industry are set elsewhere, with games like FO or PS:T. The fact that they hired a bunch of writers and invest a lot of funding in writing, just make the game look even worse in comparison.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

But you didn’t. First, I have my doubts about the game having such superior writing than these games you mentioned. But even if had better writing than these games, that is not a big accomplishment because the standards of the industry are set elsewhere, with games like FO or PS:T. The fact that they hired a bunch of writers and invest a lot of funding in writing, just make the game look even worse in comparison.

But ANYTHING of todays is shittier than standards of FO and PS:T. That's the point. WL2, TTON and AoE is what comes the CLOSEST to the old era cRPGs. Everything else blends in comparison. That's what I'm saying.

I never said WL2, AoE or TTON are or will be better than things such a PS:T or FO. Ever. That's not what we're discussing tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom