Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #53: Beta Released

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“A huge reason our previous Early Access title, Wasteland 2, was such a success was that we listened intently to community feedback and adjusted large sections of our design in response. Thus, we try to remain as flexible with our production scheduling as possible in order to ensure we release a game worthy of your patience and support. That said, we’re as anxious as anyone to release the final version.”

Ah yes, perfectly clear.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I think most people don't have a problem with more initial exposition and starter handholdy to get the game off the ground and on its feet. Once you clear the intitial areas, the game shouldnt hold hand or give alot exposition all the time. Which may be why they have chosen to do what they do, it's just subjective preferences , really.
Why do you think this?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I think most people don't have a problem with more initial exposition and starter handholdy to get the game off the ground and on its feet. Once you clear the intitial areas, the game shouldnt hold hand or give alot exposition all the time. Which may be why they have chosen to do what they do, it's just subjective preferences , really.
Why do you think this?

Because most people aren't RPGKODEX members, thankfully. They don't throw an autistic fit, because a beta isn't an exact replica of their beloved old game, but something else, similar, but different. They can probably handle, that a story unfolds in a different way, than what has usually been the case, but that doesn't diminish what the new story is trying to do.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Why do you think this?

Because most people aren't RPGKODEX members, thankfully. They don't throw an autistic fit, because a beta isn't an exact replica of their beloved old game, but something else, similar, but different. They can probably handle, that a story unfolds in a different way, than what has usually been the case, but that doesn't diminish what the new story is trying to do.
But nothing in what you've said is supporting a thorough exposition at the start of the game, nor addressing how it contrasts with the narrative pace of PST's beginning.

Tigranes

Arcane
People complained about POE's initial loredump in ways that don't really correlate with incline tastes.

If anything, seasoned RPG players might have more patience to read through and allow the game to do its thing, instead of quitting or skipping.

agris

Arcane
Patron
People complained about POE's initial loredump in ways that don't really correlate with incline tastes.
I don't know what that means. The consensus didn't reflect the initial complaints?

If anything, seasoned RPG players might have more patience to read through and allow the game to do its thing, instead of quitting or skipping.
My impression of Prime Junta's complaints about the initial lore dump is that it doesn't come across as natural. Rather, it feels like a more modern RPG convenience of 1,2,3 background, motivation, antagonist when PST is the antithesis of this convenient narrative framework.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm saying Intinium's assumption isn't a very persuasive one, that too much initial exposition can put players off in general and not just grognards or ones who expect TTON to be just like Torment.

Prime Junta

My impression of Prime Junta's complaints about the initial lore dump is that it doesn't come across as natural. Rather, it feels like a more modern RPG convenience of 1,2,3 background, motivation, antagonist when PST is the antithesis of this convenient narrative framework.

Yep.

I think it'd be improved significantly simply by slashing a lot of those infodumpy dialog nodes before you get to Sagus Cliffs, and moving two infodumpy NPCs: the kid volunteering the local info (he could still be in the Circus) and the Last Tabaht (should be moved to some other area). Any additional rearrangement would be optional.

The narrative structure would still be the same, but it wouldn't be as much in your face. IMO it would still miss the Torment mark, but not quite so badly.

I'll re-emphasise that the problem is primarily in the opening. Some of the later quests are highly infodumpy as well; many -- but not all -- people just are too eager to volunteer highly specific information. Some pruning of those let-me-tell-you-about-my-mother dialog nodes would help the game.

I've understood PS:T doesn't have a designated editor; the authors are just editing each other's stuff. They should ask Tigranes to go through everything with his big sharp knife, the game would be greatly improved. The tumorous, swollen, blood-encrusted adjectives would benefit too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've understood PS:T doesn't have a designated editor; the authors are just editing each other's stuff.

Eh?

T:ToN is supposed to have an editor: http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/story

The two are also joined by their long-time partner Ray Vallese, who edited and wrote for the Planescape setting and who’ll be editing Torment content. (That’s right – the quality of writing for Torment is so important that we have a professional editor on the team.)

Prime Junta

Sorry, I meant T:ToN.

Perhaps I've misunderstood.

Edit: (in that case Vallese needs a bigger knife though)

sstacks

Arcane
Everyone is talking about T:ToN not taking so many dumps. DO YOU WANT THE WRITERS TO BECOME CONSTIPATED???

ArchAngel

Arcane
Everyone is talking about T:ToN not taking so many dumps. DO YOU WANT THE WRITERS TO BECOME CONSTIPATED???
I am sure you don't such a problem after all the shit you released with those SCL videos.

I really liked the beta so far.

The graphics is amazing - for a CRPG!

The crisis system works like a charm (so far...).

The writing, the characters depth, the side quests and the story are top notch!
(Best I've seen since PST).

Yes it's buggy - well, it's a fucking beta version 0.0.0 after all...

The beggining is too slow for my opinion (character creation section).

But other then that, everything is extremely good!

Well done InXile!

PS... Fuck the haters...

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Giving it another spin. Starting to hate myself for it, the bugs are getting seriously annoying (e.g. characters not responding to commands during a Crisis, argh).

But, the C&C is really remarkable. Stuff is playing out completely differently when I do different stuff, have different skills, or fail/succeed different rolls. Haven't seen this level of it in a while.

So far I haven't found much that I missed the first time around though -- relatively marginal stuff, some moderately interesting interactions with some stuff that I hadn't noticed, and so on. Unless something drastic comes up, I'm standing by my 6-8 hours estimate of the first run through the beta.

YMMV though -- turns out I talked my way past several of the crises, and the crises do drag on, so if you end up in them, it'll easily add an hour or two. You have to be a pretty slow reader to spend 20 hours on it though methinks.

(Perhaps something will turn up later though.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom