Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #53: Beta Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
inXile's own estimate for just the beta is 10 hours long. :M

likaq

Arcane
The median playthrough time on howlongtobeat (what is what it is, but nevertheless the best estimate we have available) for PoE is about 54-55 hrs

out of which 90% is spent on killing trash mobs and doing fedex quests.

I take 15 hours T:ToN over 55 hrs PoE anytime.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
(Also, there's a ton of optional content in Pillars. I doubt the median complete game includes completion of the Endless Paths for example. I certainly didn't complete it the first... and, I think, only ... time I finished it. Done since in playthroughs I haven't finished though.)
Yes, for me it is hard to make anything precise out of stats there, the main story median time is 36h, main+extra 55h. Completionists 70h. I guess the last category would involve completing the Paths, but who knows.

10h=40% would mean the game is 25hrs long or thereabout. If the beta length is one third, then we arrive at 30h length. Sounds ok in my books.

Also, are all the crises of equal length? I reckon there is a lot of uncertainty still about the expected length. Personally, I won't touch the game but only after the first post-release patch at the earliest.

The median playthrough time on howlongtobeat (what is what it is, but nevertheless the best estimate we have available) for PoE is about 54-55 hrs

out of which 90% is spent on killing trash mobs and doing fedex quests.

I take 15 hours T:ToN over 55 hrs PoE anytime.
Yes, I sort of agree on the quality over quantity aspect, however, say if it would turn out to be a really short game, I could not help but feeling kick-suckered once again (though I actually like PoE).

Prime Junta

inXile's own estimate for just the beta is 10 hours long. :M

Uh-huh.

If you dig through everything and go through every dialog node carefully and with thought... mmmmmaybe. Feels like a lot less than that though.

Strangely I can't see the hours I've put into T:ToN on my Steam page. It can't be all that much though.

There are two full crises in the beta that I know of: the one in the fathom and the one on the Reef. They're roughly similar in scope. The one on the Reef is avoidable through dialog (if you're lucky with your rolls and/or have the right training and Descriptor). They are about the same length.

Additionally I've found two optional straight-up combat encounters. One of them has several enemies so it drags on a bit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is a shame none of the starting companions are non humans. Numenera has plenty of interesting non-human options. You can be a mutant and get a large list of possible mutations, many that actually change your appearance radically. In core book they got two alien races: one a kind of fish people that can rearrange their internal organs to suit their current purpose. Another a symbiosis of two species similar to that one Star Trek species. The body is a furry huge bear like creature and the other is a "parasite" creature that lives inside and has natural talent into Nano stuff. The creature can switch at will between 3 states where either the brute, the brain or something in between gets most control.
Other books added more non-human races to play, including one whose face kills so he is covered most of the time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, something like that :)

Also the character comes with a warning that it is for advanced players/GMs.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
This is my theory for how the game will flow:

The sorrow will be chasing you in real-time, (I don't think it'll be a hard timer but I also don't know how the system will work) and you have to either find the changing god or do something (fixing the resonance chamber I'm thinking won't be the end), how you do that can be achieved in many different ways (hence the game length and re playability) and this is also the reason as to why there is no main quest per say. I'm semi-certain companions will be involved in some way.

Also, my other more random theory is that it's entirely possible that the main PC is the changing god.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why would they do anything in "real-time" when they've made this sleep-based event paradigm?

Fry

Arcane
Additionally I've found two optional straight-up combat encounters. One of them has several enemies so it drags on a bit.

I'm Curious if you've managed to get the...

...encounter you get after returning to the dome you crashed into to actually work. For me, the encounter triggers and hangs up immediately. Can't move or end the turn, and there's no option to save/reload. Saving immediately before the encounter and reloading doesn't fix it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what is the frames per second performance like?

post your specs and what FPS you get at what resolution

(i could never get more than 20-45 fps in PoE, thus if the performance is going to be similar in T:N i won't play it)

(although now i remember that T:N will be turn-based alleviating most of the fps issues)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PoE has more fights in a single map than Tworment has in total anyway so even if it was RTWP. Still, if the performance is jumpy it'll be annoying anyway with all the microstutters when scrolling around the map.

Fry

Arcane
Performance is generally pretty shit and highly variable depending on what's on screen at the time, but no point in collecting specifics yet. Wait for a few optimization passes.

Prime Junta

Has nobody finished this yet?

I got the "This is the end of the beta" message, and a quick run-over of all the locations and characters I had talked to didn't discover any new leads or quests. I'm not entirely satisfied I completed everything though, and going by the time others have spent on this I think it's likely I missed a lot. Some of the quests were bugged which was a bit confusing also.

I started a new run yesterday but didn't have time to get very far into it.

If you do this BTW save often. Crises frequently "freeze" leaving you no way out but to reload, and there's no auto-save.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wouldn't be surprised with a smaller game, they've focused all areas of the game on fewer but better - the visual diversity of the areas, the C&C, the crises and hand-picked combat scenarios, etc. And I don't know if it's still true now but Torment didn't have a very big team for a while, right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wouldn't be surprised with a smaller game, they've focused all areas of the game on fewer but better - the visual diversity of the areas, the C&C, the crises and hand-picked combat scenarios, etc. And I don't know if it's still true now but Torment didn't have a very big team for a while, right?

Torment was in "limited production mode" until the last quarter of 2014.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Uh-huh.

If you dig through everything and go through every dialog node carefully and with thought... mmmmmaybe. Feels like a lot less than that though.

Strangely I can't see the hours I've put into T:ToN on my Steam page. It can't be all that much though.

There are two full crises in the beta that I know of: the one in the fathom and the one on the Reef. They're roughly similar in scope. The one on the Reef is avoidable through dialog (if you're lucky with your rolls and/or have the right training and Descriptor). They are about the same length.

So 40% of the game has a total of 4 combat encounters? I really hope they stack more of those in the second half, because talking all the time and not getting to use them armors and weapons will get boring fast.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I don't believe the beta is seriously 40 % of the final game. That number has probably been skewed and blown out of porportion, but I guess we need officialz confirmation from somebody like Brother None

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Uh-huh.

So 40% of the game has a total of 4 combat encounters? I really hope they stack more of those in the second half, because talking all the time and not getting to use them armors and weapons will get boring fast.
I doubt the 60% of the game has 11 crises while start only has 2.

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't believe the beta is seriously 40 % of the final game. That number has probably been skewed and blown out of porportion, but I guess we need officialz confirmation from somebody like Brother None
It could be 40% at some point, but I really doubt it's 40% as is. It doesn't even have all of the Sagus Cliffs content. There's a bunch of areas, characters and quests that have been hidden for the beta, including MCA's companion.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
It could be 40% at some point, but I really doubt it's 40% as is. It doesn't even have all of the Sagus Cliffs content. There's a bunch of areas, characters and quests that have been hidden for the beta, including MCA's companion.

I would say, more like 15-20 % at the very most.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom