Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #51: Beta coming on January 17th, Itemization Info

SniperHF

Arcane
For all its flaws, the PoE Beta did it right. It had no connection to the critical path of the game but it had enough for both sides to get what they wanted. I don't mind at all, but TTON backers who care about spoilers will have no option.

Disagree with that entirely. I played every version of Wl2, D:OS, and POE's betas. The D:OS and WL2 methods worked much better than PoEs. It gave the player who was seriously interested in feedback a much better idea of how the character system was supposed to work because you started from the ground up. Being tossed into the middle of a leveled up character gave people all kinds of wrong impressions in the early days of PoE's backer beta. And as the betas went on, much more significant feedback was integrated in both WL2 and D:OS compared to PoE. Even with the additional noise of early access players. Also it's worth remembering that both WL2 and D:OS did not start out as early access and were put up much later than Torment is going to be. If there's a mistake being made with Torment, it's making the difference between backer launch and EA launch of only a couple weeks. Even with that though I think InXile has shown themselves to be reasonably skilled at filtering noise during the last early access.

I think the Beta will be good (except the peformance, it'll be shit just like the alpha and PoE), and my expections have been realistic since the KS. It also "helps" that the Numenera setting isn't nearly as interesting as Planescape to me

PoE was bad initially, and in certain configs even still is. But the Torment Alphas were on another level beyond shit. If they are selling it as Early Access it will have to be better or it will be refund city.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

FeelTheRads

Arcane
To me it looks like SniperHP says that the beta didn't give the players an accurate view of the game because if it did then some of the feedback would've been integrated.
Although I do not agree because I doubt Obsidian cares too much unless it comes from SJWs and it's about very important PC issues.

Ultimately, if the "hysteria" was useless it was only Obsidian's fault.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
You're also talking about a game that was stuck in pre-production for a year and a half while they were waiting for the bulk of their team to finish with the much-delayed Wasteland 2. So I wouldn't be surprised if there were monetary issues. They've also been recently making cuts to the game, which apparently has created some problems.
Definitely has issues. It's been almost 3 years since the KS campaign (not the TTON's team fault completely, but it is what it is), and the console release of WL2 bombed.
The thing about not having the bulk of your team is that you don't have to pay them: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/874905
Well, the math is right there. 20% spent in pre-production with the "bulk of the team" working on WL2. Also, the "development budget" is important here, as obviously not all of the money goes towards development, but I'll get there.
2 years and 10 months later and at the same rate (basically the cost of the employees who worked during that time), it adds up to ~57%.

First of all, Kickstarter eats 5% and payment processing takes 3%.
That's also without programmers, animators, scripters, artists, sound designer, VA, localization, marketing, QA and so on. Later on there's also the cost of making the physical backer rewards and shipping them.
Look at PoE's team distribution:
team.jpg

Animation, QA and Programming are more than 1/4. Design (in which they included the writers) is just ~30%.
Art is more than a third, and Torment's development information page only has the concept artists. The rest of the artists seem to be part of their "1.5 system".
Worth mentioning that PoE's team was much smaller. It peaked at 35 and had ~20 people for most of development. That page alone has 22 people and it's missing at least half of the team.

So, back to what I said: unless they're all being paid peanuts, it's very hard to believe the KS money hasn't been spent.

Wasteland 2 managed to double its budget and all inXile had to sell back then was Bard's Tale ARPG on mobile. The idea that they would run out of money now when they have WL2 itself bringing in money AND a larger KS budget to begin with is fairly ludicrous.
"Managed to double its budget" is PRspeak. They funded the rest of the development with early access money because they were going to run out of it. It's not like the EA release just gave it a boost and everything was going to be fine and dandy with or without it. The fact it took the money from the actual release to finish the game properly speaks for itself.

Also, I was very specific about KS funds, not InXile's as a whole.
Yes, I do know. (And thank you.)
:brodex:
To play the pessimist's advocate, the Fairfax Theory (TM) doesn't really have much to do with the quality of the beta. Obviously, the early areas are going to be more polished, but what about the later ones or the game as a whole? I think the concern here is how much of the later-game content is going to be sized down or of lower quality or outright cut in order to make the 2016 release date / save up money / cover up BN's extravagant coke habit.
I straight up said the I think the beta will be good, but Infinitron seems to ignore what "half-assed" means. I do think Fargo/Keenan will rush it and cut as much as they can to make money out of EA and then get it over with, and that's my main concern.

Disagree with that entirely. I played every version of Wl2, D:OS, and POE's betas. The D:OS and WL2 methods worked much better than PoEs. It gave the player who was seriously interested in feedback a much better idea of how the character system was supposed to work because you started from the ground up. Being tossed into the middle of a leveled up character gave people all kinds of wrong impressions in the early days of PoE's backer beta. And as the betas went on, much more significant feedback was integrated in both WL2 and D:OS compared to PoE. Even with the additional noise of early access players. Also it's worth remembering that both WL2 and D:OS did not start out as early access and were put up much later than Torment is going to be. If there's a mistake being made with Torment, it's making the difference between backer launch and EA launch of only a couple weeks. Even with that though I think InXile has shown themselves to be reasonably skilled at filtering noise during the last early access.

PoE was bad initially, and in certain configs even still is. But the Torment Alphas were on another level beyond shit. If they are selling it as Early Access it will have to be better or it will be refund city.
Yes, Sawyer decided to ignore most of the meaningful feedback and stick to his guns, but that doesn't mean the structure of the beta itself was poorly planned or executed. I was talking about how and how much of the game was included.
Despite the fact it didn't matter in the end, it was clearly something thought out where they tried to give both sides what they wanted. What they did with the information is a problem in the final release, not the beta.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You have to be in serious denial to think that inXile's coffers not are starting to empty. Unless there are magical money injections coming from an unspecified source, cash-flow issues are unavoidable. The numbers are out for everyone to see.

inXile's best interest is naturally to convince their potential customers that they will be able to complete the game with whatever little remains of their budget. They'll push out a "beta", go on early access and hope for the best.

But still, what kind of a jew mixes emotions and money. Tsk tsk tsk.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You have to be in serious denial to think that inXile's coffers not are starting to empty. Unless there are magical money injections coming from an unspecified source, cash-flow issues are unavoidable. The numbers are out for everyone to see.

inXile's best interest is naturally to convince their potential customers that they will be able to complete the game with whatever little remains of their budget. They'll push out a "beta", go on early access and hope for the best.

But still, what kind of a jew mixes emotions and money. Tsk tsk tsk.

Can you post the source for the "numbers"?

Do you have information about the full cashflow of InXile? Does Fargo get any royalties from past games (fallout etc.), how much does and did WL2/WLDC bring in vs the cost.
How much of Fargo's own money is involved? How's bards tale doing? How much have torment cost to make? How much have it brought in so far? How much of the KS money has been spent and how much left?

I would like to see a full review and examination of InXiles economy, if you have it, please :)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So what would you prefer? Margin analysis for inXile, functional size measurement for the project? Ratio analysis? ROCE? Valuation? DCFM, DRIM? A forecast?

I mean certainly it is some sort of black magic which can't be performed :roll:

But still, such unwavering faith is refreshing. Would you be interested in hearing about a financial service my company is providing? Would be a perfect fit for a discerning customer such as you sir. The initial investment may seem high, but the potential returns are immense. You just need a little bit of faith!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haba, as I said, we have the existing precedent of Wasteland 2 to demonstrate that inXile doesn't have problems coming up with cash when they need it, at a time when they were a smaller player than they are now. Do you really think they'd go on adventures founding new studios in other cities if they had cash flow problems?

Yes, Sawyer decided to ignore most of the meaningful feedback and stick to his guns, but that doesn't mean the structure of the beta itself was poorly planned or executed.

No, you're ignoring SniperHF's post. According to him, yes, it was poorly planned or executed. Did you play the beta?

By tossing players straight into a combat-centric side area with a full party of unfamiliar level 5 characters, Obsidian ensured that the majority of feedback they received was "OMG TOO MUCH MICROMANAGEMENT WHAT IS GOING ON". And in fact, during that period, they did make major strides in improving combat visual feedback and overall combat feel to address those complaints. SniperHF's problem with the beta is that it didn't allow for feedback about much of anything else. The structure of the Wasteland 2 and D:OS Early Access betas allowed for feedback about quests, dialogue, plot, encounters, items, pacing, character growth, etc.

For example, you might not be aware that most of what Sensuki says right now about PoE, he wasn't really saying so much during the game's beta. Back then he spent a lot of time writing thesises about the game's attribute system, something that ended up having little to do with his problems with the final game.

Also, I was very specific about KS funds, not InXile's as a whole.

In that case, who cares?

tl;dr Your anti-Early Access stance is counterproductive to final game quality

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Haba, as I said, we have the existing precedent of Wasteland 2 to demonstrate that inXile doesn't have problems coming up with cash when they need it, at a time when they were a smaller player than they are now. Do you really think they'd go on adventures founding new studios in other cities if they had cash flow problems?

I don't see them having any sustainable sources of revenue to the degree that would enable their way of doing business. I'm sure they have had and will have cash-flow issues. This is pretty much the standard of the business, after all. This isn't necessarily visible to the outside, if the management are competent.

But looking at the numbers, I find it very unlikely that inXile would have the luxury of delaying the release any further, no matter what state the game is in currently. Not unless they know something about the sales potential of Torment that we don't. Or they have a very generous business angel/money laundering operation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well, here's another two precedents that we have. Wasteland 2 was in beta for nine months. Pillars of Eternity for half a year. If the game is in beta for a significantly shorter period than that, we'll know they might be rushing to release. Although of course, it could just be in a good state. We'll know soon.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I wonder if inXile really thought Wasteland 2 DC is gonna sell a lot, or that console ports are gonna be hits. No one should expect turn-based isometric rpg to sell more than handful of units on consoles.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Haba, I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Torment project is on a impending collission course, because of a lack of funds and thus being rushed out to provide more monis from a BETA/EA.
You haven't presented strong evidence to support that claim, other than the "numbers" show it.

Regardless of the KS money for either WL2 or Torment is about to expended or not, I'm sure the project has been expanded upon, since the initial vision documents.
Saying the game is doomed, just because it chooses to enter EA to develop it further, it seems quite the fallacy to me.

WL2's scope was vastly expanded upon from what the initial KS budget promised and allowed.

If the final product turns out great, who cares where the money to fund it comes from? KS? EA? Fargo's own private gold from Fort Knox stashed away for hard times? Nobody gives a fuck.

Prime Junta

The Pillars beta started out as a colossal mess. It got better, as such things do, but the first several builds were WHAAA THE BEETLES OHNO because ... nothing much worked. You couldn't see a damn thing what was going on, the toons wouldn't auto-attack or even respond to commands a lot of the time, there were little bugs like, oh, inventory items disappearing between map transitions or when being rearranged (fortunately another bug let you make infinite copies which was nice), and so on and so forth. All you could really effectively do at that point was march around and talk to people, that worked more or less OK.

And the difficulty was all over the place. It swung from LOL to WHAA MOMMY! between builds, and class balance was nonexistent. Remember the chanter summoning infinite numbers of murderously tough skeletons? The one where you could fire Soul Ignition from across the map, not triggering combat, and just sneak up on critters immolating them one by one? That sort of thing.

They only added the engagement arrows quite late, for crying out loud, and you can't make any sense of the combat without those. (Well now you can if you take Zealous Rush and check the Continue movement when engaged box, but they didn't have that checkbox until version 2 of the main game I think.)

The beta was a good idea in principle -- give fans an off-path vertical slice, direct them to give feedback on how the classes play -- but given the apparent Obs approach to QA (i.e., screw line-by-line code quality, the testers will find the bugs later), there's no way they could've pulled it off: give to the fans when it's actually playable and it's too late to incorporate their feedback, give it to them early and it's a colossal mess.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Prime Junta And despite all those problems, they were still in beta for less time than Wasteland 2. It's a bit weird in retrospect - the Wasteland 2 beta was fairly buggy, but its overall "feel" was pretty solid from the very beginning. It's easier to get that right in turn-based.

In an ideal world, Torment will benefit both from the professionalism and experience of Obsidian veterans such as George Ziets and from Obsidian's engine, while avoiding PoE's RTwP-specific tuning woes, thus allowing it conclude its beta quicker than both Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Yeah, the Pillars engine ought to be pretty solid by now. Not all of the beta woes were tuning though, there were some egregious and apparently hard-to-fix bugs in pretty obvious areas. It wasn't that stuff wasn't finished, it was that it just didn't work. Perhaps rather amusingly inXile has a better handle on code quality, whereas Obsidian has put all its money on QA. That does work surprisingly well, I was quite impressed by how quickly it came together in the end when QA got chewing on it full steam. Their QA guys are overall very nice and extremely professional also.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Do any of the people trying to make predictions about InXile's financial well-being have any real idea of the economics of running a mid-sized dev studio? At least for Obsidian we knew what their approximate monthly burn rate was from the horse's mouth, do we have any comparable info regarding InXile? Anything concrete at all?

it's not like I'm actually reading any of those posts, b-baka.

www.neogaf.com

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do any of the people trying to make predictions about InXile's financial well-being have any real idea of the economics of running a mid-sized dev studio? At least for Obsidian we knew what their approximate monthly burn rate was from the horse's mouth, do we have any comparable info regarding InXile? Anything concrete at all?

it's not like I'm actually reading any of those posts, b-baka.

www.neogaf.com

The economics of running a mid sized development studio is that you're privately owned and living from check to check . . . pretty much.

That being said, it probably costs inXile $3,000,000-$4,000,000 per year to keep the lights on.

Their cut from Wasteland II has probably been around $9,000,000-11,000,000. They've gotten $4,700,000 from Torment, $1,500,000 million from BTIV (with taxes and Kickstarter fees), and vague (but highly discounted) sales from their backlog of pre-WL2 games.

You can count that the probably have a vague 3-6,000,000 standing between them an those lights going off. So an ambiguous year or two of operations.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
That being said, it probably costs inXile $3,000,000-$4,000,000 per year to keep the lights on.
Their cut from Wasteland II has probably been around $9,000,000-11,000,000. They've gotten $4,700,000 from Torment, $1,500,000 million from BTIV (with taxes and Kickstarter fees), and vague (but highly discounted) sales from their backlog of pre-WL2 games.
You can count that the probably have a vague 3-6,000,000 standing between them an those lights going off. So an ambiguous year or two of operations.
And if everything goes well with the release of T:ToN and they sell over 400k additional copies and then inXiles lifespan expands for at least 2 additional years. But this are back of the envelope calculations and currently they seem to expand their studio size and increase their burn rate.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
In an ideal world, Torment will benefit both from the professionalism and experience of Obsidian veterans such as George Ziets

There are others I could mention, too, but on this point, of particular note also may be Jesse Farrell, who is an area designer on TTON (and has been for almost 2 years now; he was the first area designer I hired for the team). Jesse was the QA Lead on MotB and shifted to Design on later projects. He has a solid decade+ of experience, and is one of the most meticulous people I've ever met. (Plus he and George have experience working with each other on multiple projects.)

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am just waiting for a great disturbance in the Dex, as if millions of fanboiz got butthurt over the fact that the POE engine can do good tb based combat...and Sensuki decided to kickstart a modding team to turn POE into a tb game like Torment

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
ksaun Speaking of inXile's ex-Obsidian contingent, did Tony Evans end up doing anything?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom