Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Torment Kickstarter Update #49: Kevin Saunders leaves inXile, replaced by Chris Keenan

laclongquan

Arcane
But I can't help but get hyped for good liver!

Incidentally, that line always annoyed me; Lecter is supposed to be a gentleman of refined and sophisticated tastes. You would think he would know that Liver and Chianti would be a fairly mediocre pairing.

Probabbly because he know something you dont about Long Pig's Liver.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
But I can't help but get hyped for good liver!

Incidentally, that line always annoyed me; Lecter is supposed to be a gentleman of refined and sophisticated tastes. You would think he would know that Liver and Chianti would be a fairly mediocre pairing.

Thats to reinforce he is crazy, everybody knows liver goes well with a good Port.

I do wonder how you end up releasing a truncated version of a game that's so intensely quality over quantity and content over systems as this. It's not like they can just add a big stretch of mob grinding and call it a day. :how-does-one-cut-corners-when-the-road-is-perfectly-straight:

Athelas

Arcane
I do wonder how you end up releasing a truncated version of a game that's so intensely quality over quantity and content over systems as this. It's not like they can just add a big stretch of mob grinding and call it a day.
latest

Athelas

Arcane
What I'm saying is that that's a lot easier to churn out than an equivalent crisis ;)
Well, I was half-kidding. Worst case scenario is that we end up with a bunch of empty areas where the only point of interaction is the plot-critical door/object/NPC/Crisis. Which would still be preferable to said areas being populated by trash mobs, obviously.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I really dont mind if the game has more combat heavy areas, I hope they are not going overboard with the crisis stuff. A good mix is preferable. say 1 for every 5 combat that one has all those different scenarios and branching decisions

Weasel
I do wonder how you end up releasing a truncated version of a game that's so intensely quality over quantity and content over systems as this. It's not like they can just add a big stretch of mob grinding and call it a day. :how-does-one-cut-corners-when-the-road-is-perfectly-straight:

Perhaps by pruning some of the possible narrative branches, reactivity and other content I guess. I haven't followed all the updates and discussion on this game as it's one I'd prefer to play relatively unspoiled and fresh, but from what they've said I got the impression there were potentially so many factors at play they could end up writing a truly crazy amount. And some of their statements hint at that:

We are targeting a greater degree of reactivity and replayability than even Planescape: Torment had, which means that conversations of a certain size (in terms of gameplay time and information communicated) take more effort to write.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
The full story is not mine to give, but the game is still in good hands with a team that groks the vision, design leads who will not let that vision die, and leadership that knows what we release must be as polished as we can reasonably make it in the given time.

Kevin is missed. His departure is sad. But Torment will be finished and it will be as good as what you've seen in the alpha, if not better (as long as Colin, George, and I have anything to say about it!).

Really reasuring. It's just like the time with Tim Cain and Fargo?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You have huge nick, but peanut-sized grey matter.

I care not about messiahs, it is enough to have people with empathy and the right principles to relate to

The principles that you imagined out of thin air, using naive idealistic celebrity worship as basis, yeah.

If your view of a person and their entire history lies in just one decision, isolated from the entirety of their existence, good for you.

Coming from a guy basing his view of a person on one decision to move to console market.

Brilliant.

Troika would have happily supported their games if they had the money to do it, but alas, they did not. Sierra, Atari, and Activision can be blamed for that.

Which makes no difference whatsoever. They couldn't run a tight ship, and we paid the price. The world is full of people with good intentions. The difference between a dreamer and an true artist, is that only one of them delivers.

Athelas

Arcane
Please don't compare something like Alpha Protocol to Choplifter HD with its tight and fluid gameplay.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Guys, I know. Remember NWN2?

Who steps in when the lead is out?

Who will BALANCE a project in disarray?

:smug:
Wot? Now everything makes sense... Chris Keenan was Sawyer in disguise all this time, that explains Wasteland 2.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
You may have misunderstood the nature of the World of Darkness deal. Paradox aren't an RPG developer - the studio that makes games like Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis isn't going to put together a team to make "Bloodlines 2".

Paradox had an RPG (Runemaster) in development, which the canned last year though. Not exactly a Bloodlines 2 of course, but they at least considered the genre.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
He looks like Chris Farley.

Which reminds me, he cucked someone with this chick.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guys dont jump to conclusions here and pull the "artistic integrity" card; I run a business and sometimes it is a simple as having a carrtaker manager and a kickass and get results finisher

khavi

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Disappointing news, but Keenan's follow up after Saunder's bow out still gives me hope they are taking their time to release the best possible game. Some people won't see it that way, but meh.

I don't think anyone will dispute that it will end up being the best possible game under the circumstances in which it is made. It will undoubtedly also end up being good for what it is, though some gloomy naysayers will deem it bad for what it isn't.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the worst that could happen? A first half full of quests, dialogue and wonderful ideas, followed by...

latest

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom