Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Torment Kickstarter Update #49: Kevin Saunders leaves inXile, replaced by Chris Keenan

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a filthy antipaladin at heart.

This paragraph makes me hmmm a little. It sounds like he thinks he might have recently made some sort of mistake.

Where do you get recently out of that? He's referring to the last group of backers who wanted Torment be "something great" and historic and would therefor have liked to see funds matching those ambitions. Sounds more like the mistake he's admitting to is presenting the hope of something truly groundbreaking to those backers without the funds to back it up. Though that might just be me reading my own thoughts into it ;)

roshan

Arcane
Given with what's happened with Wasteland 2 Director's Cut being consolized, I wonder if ksaun's departure could have been due to management (Fargo) deciding to cut features or content from the game, or perhaps revamp some aspects of design to make way for a more console friendly release later on - this would make sense with the Wasteland 2 director being brought on to lead Tides of Numenera. Also given his blog post, if not the consolization, it could be some of the changes or cuts to the game would result in the subpar implementation of some of the stretch goals or promises made during the kickstarter.

Athelas

Arcane
An unexpected journey, huh? It seems like his departure from Torment was already decided upon back on October 6.
It being decided only a few weeks ago hardly makes it any less unexpected. Though I imagine setting up a blog like this takes some time, so it may have been decided well in advance of that.

Time to analyze the previous Torment updates for subtle clues suggesting his imminent departure!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kz3r0

Arcane
Things seems quite clear to me, the project took too much time, read money, and is far from completion, Fargo probably wanted to put in charge a guy that would speed things up, read: the 'bad' guy that cuts content and puts pressure on the team, basically what Guido Henkel was for the original Torment, such accomodation would have meant for Saunders to become project lead only on paper at that point, so probably he refused such accomodation or clashed with the new project manager because he didn't want to cut content or some other design decision, at that point stepping down was the only option.
In short, expect a cut down to size Torment with a lot of underdeveloped content.

Darkzone

Arcane
The Torment curse or blessing. Guido has also left Planescape Torment half way through.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In other words, the circle of misery continues uninterrupted.

Also, maybe Fargo wanted to ship him to New Orleans but he'd rather not get killed? :troll:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Everyone calm the fuck down, most of the game's design documentation is done. Colin, Chris Avellone, and Adam Heine are still playing huge roles as well.

Don't raise pitchforks until you hear the full story.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lol, I love how people go apeshit about these kinds of news. Doesn't tell you anything. ANYTHING about how TTON will be come release.

Fuckin' armchair theories, man. They're the best.

Kz3r0

Arcane
In other words, the circle of misery continues uninterrupted.
the_rune_of_torment_by_owocolistek.jpg

Adam Heine

Arcane
Developer

The full story is not mine to give, but the game is still in good hands with a team that groks the vision, design leads who will not let that vision die, and leadership that knows what we release must be as polished as we can reasonably make it in the given time.

Kevin is missed. His departure is sad. But Torment will be finished and it will be as good as what you've seen in the alpha, if not better (as long as Colin, George, and I have anything to say about it!).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Awkward, self-deprecating choice of words is also part of the Saunders legacy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom